• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Almost had to shoot my neighbors dog yesterday

Decoligny

imported post

I was just finishing some work on our community well yesterday evening when I heard theruckus of a couple of dogs obviously trying to get at each other through the fence in our alley.

I stepped out from behing the storage tank to see what was going on and apparently one of my neighboors dogs had learned how to jump the fence and was running back and forth trying to get at the dog across the alley. The dog in the alley is a large yellow mixed breed.

As soon as I stepped into view, the dog in the alley turned his attention to me. His hackles were up and he was barking and then growing with it's teeth bared.

I had a good size adjustable wrench in my left hand, and my right hand went to my 9mm as I yelled "GET OUT OF HERE" as loud as I could, all the while standing my ground.

The dog took a couple of steps toward me and I simultaneously threw the wrench and drew my weapon in case the wrench didn't have the desired affect.

Luckily for the dog, it didn't like the glancing blow off his ribs, so he took off and jumped the fence back into his yard.

I have never liked this particular neighbor's dogs, as they always try to get at me as I go by in the alley, and now that I know one of them has learned to jump the fence I will need to be extra wary.

I have never liked this particular neighbor either as I took over for him in running the well when we found out he was embezzling from the repair funds, but I would still not like to have to kill one of his dogs unless absolutely necessary.

Just another reason I like being able to open carry loaded in unincorporated Kern County, and another reason why I ALWAYS carry in my own neighboorhood.

prcE6

imported post

You prove a good point though. People often take their safety for grantedjust becuase they are in their home neighborhood or in a "nice area". Avicious dog or one that thinks itsprotecting his domain can become a serious hazard; and we may not always have a wrench handy :D.

fighting_for_freedom

imported post

PRC-E6 wrote:
You prove a good point though. People often take their safety for grantedjust becuase they are in their home neighborhood or in a "nice area". Avicious dog or one that thinks itsprotecting his domain can become a serious hazard; and we may not always have a wrench handy :D.

Oh, I just had a great comeback for when somebody asks why you're carrying a gun:

Your response should be: "Because I don't have a wrench handy."

Oh my God, I'm dying over here... I can't figure out why this is so hilarious to me...

Decoligny

imported post

fighting_for_freedom wrote:
PRC-E6 wrote:

Oh, I just had a great comeback for when somebody asks why you're carrying a gun:

Your response should be: "Because I don't have a wrench handy."

Oh my God, I'm dying over here... I can't figure out why this is so hilarious to me...

Wasn't funny from where I was looking at it!

This dog is similar, but not exactly what I was dealing with.

wooff.jpg

oilfieldtrash11

imported post

I have a similar story from about a week ago.

My across the street neighbor's son just went back to prison on violation of parole. His girlfriend, mom and 2 young kids live there too. He is a bigtime doper. There are always people over and being loud and spun out.

Well after he went back to prison, I see a pitbull in the front yard without a leash. Its not a big pit, but still it is a dog that was trained to attack and defend. I am open carrying in my front yard while changing the oil in my jeep. I slide out from under the jeep and hear yelling and growling. The dog is trying to get to my mom's yorkies behind the gate.

I start yelling at the dog and trying to get it to move along and all the neighbors are just watching. Some of the guy in prisons friends are over too for some reason. The dog then looks at me, gets low and begins to growl and show me it's teeth.

Personally I cannot stand this breed, but I like to try and give them the benefit of the doubt.

The dog starts trying to get closer and my neighbors are just laughing. At this point I have my hand on my firearm and had made up my mind that if it tried to bite and I couldn't get the dog from continuing to attack me, which it has been trained to do, I was going to have to let the dog eat a hydrashock or two in front of the kids, which I really didn't want to do.

As the dog got closer and closer I drew my weapon and pointed it straight towards the ground and got in a defensive posistion. At this point the neighbors are yelling and screaming at me, telling me that if i scare the dog it will attack. They called the dog off and came and got it. They called me crazy and said they were going to call the cops because I had a gun and all sorts of other nonsense.

They told me there is a law against carrying guns in public and I informed them that I was on my on private property and I did nothing wrong. They said if I would have killed their dog they would have sued me and yadda yadda. I just looked them directly in the eyes and said,"There is a leash law, if it comes back and trys to attack me I will see you in court."

I havent seen the dog since.

sorry for the long story but i completely understand what Decoligny's situation.

NightOwl

imported post

I've almost had to shoot my neighbor's dog too. The apartment I live in doesn't have a fence between the parking lot and the neighbor's house, just some bushes/trees. Being parked at the end of the lot, I went out to my truck and as I came around my truck to the driver's side, I found my neighbor's dog there not ten feet away growling, hackles raised, and it started barking and makingshort lunges (like, 1 foot or so)at me. I drew, but backed away, and managed to extricate myself from the situation. I'd seen the dog out in the neighbor's yard, and it had growled/barked as I approached my truck before, but this time it was CLOSE.

I went back inside, called for an officer to come out and deal with it (I'd rather he shoot the dog than me, to be honest). When he arrived, I explained that as much as I disliked calling for a dog issue, this was an ongoing problem and the dog was putting itself in position to get shot, as I didn't particularly fancy getting bit as the other alternative-I don't come with a "chew toy" tag on me. The officer had a fancy taser, which put out a spread of laser points rather than a single dot, and apparently the "tzzzt" sound was enough to deter the dog sufficiently for him to go over and contact the owner. I couldn't tell what was said from where I was, but the officer came back and the dog didn't. Haven't seen the dog since, but every time I go out to my truck I'm a bit leary of finding it ready to attack me. Golden retriever, too, go figure...so much for that being a friendly breed.

Way I figure, it's on record that it's an agressive dog now, and the officer is a witness to it. If I'm put in a situation where backing away isn't an option or isn't effective, at least there's prior documentation to back me up when I put the dog down. Glad I'm in Idaho, where loaded carry is an option (originally from CA, which is why I browse this section of the forum).

Anyhow, great story Decoligny, figured I'd share my own dog incident in return. Loved the part about "didn't like the glancing blow", that was funny.

Oilfield, I liked yours as well. My neighbors sometimes look at me odd when I'm armed using the laundry room or taking out the trash, and stories like yours remind me that it's even a good idea to be armed around the home.

Decoligny

imported post

demnogis wrote:
GoldCoaster wrote:
Decoligny wrote:
Luckily I am a better shot with a pistol than I am with a wrench, cause I was aiming for right between the dogs eyes.
If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.
"If you can dodge traffic, you can dodge a dodge ball."

"Remember the 5 D's of dodge ball!"
"If you can dodge a bullet, you must be Neo from the Matrix."

Legend_AB

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
demnogis wrote:
GoldCoaster wrote:
Decoligny wrote:
Luckily I am a better shot with a pistol than I am with a wrench, cause I was aiming for right between the dogs eyes.
If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.
"If you can dodge traffic, you can dodge a dodge ball."

"Remember the 5 D's of dodge ball!"
"If you can dodge a bullet, you must be Neo from the Matrix."
"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood, nobody"

giaking70

imported post

oilfieldtrash11 wrote:
I have a similar story from about a week ago.

My across the street neighbor's son just went back to prison on violation of parole. His girlfriend, mom and 2 young kids live there too. He is a bigtime doper. There are always people over and being loud and spun out.

Well after he went back to prison, I see a pitbull in the front yard without a leash. Its not a big pit, but still it is a dog that was trained to attack and defend. I am open carrying in my front yard while changing the oil in my jeep. I slide out from under the jeep and hear yelling and growling. The dog is trying to get to my mom's yorkies behind the gate.

I start yelling at the dog and trying to get it to move along and all the neighbors are just watching. Some of the guy in prisons friends are over too for some reason. The dog then looks at me, gets low and begins to growl and show me it's teeth.

Personally I cannot stand this breed, but I like to try and give them the benefit of the doubt.

The dog starts trying to get closer and my neighbors are just laughing. At this point I have my hand on my firearm and had made up my mind that if it tried to bite and I couldn't get the dog from continuing to attack me, which it has been trained to do, I was going to have to let the dog eat a hydrashock or two in front of the kids, which I really didn't want to do.

As the dog got closer and closer I drew my weapon and pointed it straight towards the ground and got in a defensive posistion. At this point the neighbors are yelling and screaming at me, telling me that if i scare the dog it will attack. They called the dog off and came and got it. They called me crazy and said they were going to call the cops because I had a gun and all sorts of other nonsense.

They told me there is a law against carrying guns in public and I informed them that I was on my on private property and I did nothing wrong. They said if I would have killed their dog they would have sued me and yadda yadda. I just looked them directly in the eyes and said,"There is a leash law, if it comes back and trys to attack me I will see you in court."

I havent seen the dog since.

sorry for the long story but i completely understand what Decoligny's situation.
you know, I can't stand the breed either, but I have seen some pit bulls that were really good dogs. I have a similar story as well. When I was about 17 or 18 years old, I was still living with my folks and the neighbors across the street had two pit bulls. My parents were cat lovers and every once in awhile their dog would get out and run the neighborhood.

Well, just like your story, my dad was bleeding the brakes on my parents car and one of the dogs was on our property trying to dig a hole under the fence after chasing one of the cats. The neighbors were out on the porch laughing drinking and totally making fun of the situation. My dad heard my mom yelling and I was home at the time and I came running out to see what the hell was going on.

I see a pit bull that belonged to the neighbor across the street in the yard and I go out the side door that leads to the driveway where my dad was. Well, my dad is already out from under the car and walking towards the other side of the house...with his Colt .1911 he always keeps with him.

My dad hollers for the neighbors across the street to come get their dog and like your story, they hollered saying it would bite if you scare it and to just leave it alone as it wasn't harming anything. Well the dog wasn't scared as it was reading itself for a lounge at my dad and my dad hollered one more time to the neighbors to come get their "damned" dog. They just laughed and said yeah whatever

I remember this like it was yesterday the dog was getting closer, my dad raised his .1911 took aim and left off 3 shots to its head. I'll never forget the yelp it let out but it was threatening my dad. As if nothing else happened, my dad walked over to the dog and another one to its head for good measure called me over, gave me the gun and then dragged the dog across the street and dumped it in front of their porch.

I heard it from clear across the street my dad said "Next time I tell you to come get your dog, come get it, have a nice day". He called the sheriff department afterward to let them know that there was a shooting of a dog on the property in self defense. Sheriff department showed up, took my dad's statement and mine as I witnessed it too and then the neighbors as well. They moved the following month.

I'm an animal lover myself but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

demnogis

imported post

Your dad did the right thing, giaking. Loose dogs maul children all the time.

Common animals don't possess reasoning skills.

I would not hesitate to dispatch an animal that is advancing or threatening me (or my loved ones).

My girlfriend lives in Yorba Linda, where coyote and mountain lion attacks on pets and children are not unheard of. If we're out walking her dog or even if we're in her back yard and a wild animal or a trespassing, hostile neighbor's animal comes to fight... No hesitation.

elsensei

imported post

I heard it from clear across the street my dad said "Next time I tell you to come get your dog, come get it, have a nice day". "

as the owner of the smartest cattledog in the world who once was attacked in my own garage by my idiot neighbors two idiot dogs, I have to say:

This is f-ing PRICELESS!!!!

In that event, I didn't have a gun on me but managed to belt one of them in the ribs with a torque wrench that had to be almost 2 feet long. Very satisfying.