• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Almost had to shoot my neighbors dog yesterday

pullnshoot25

imported post

giaking70 wrote:
oilfieldtrash11 wrote:
I have a similar story from about a week ago.

My across the street neighbor's son just went back to prison on violation of parole. His girlfriend, mom and 2 young kids live there too. He is a bigtime doper. There are always people over and being loud and spun out.

Well after he went back to prison, I see a pitbull in the front yard without a leash. Its not a big pit, but still it is a dog that was trained to attack and defend. I am open carrying in my front yard while changing the oil in my jeep. I slide out from under the jeep and hear yelling and growling. The dog is trying to get to my mom's yorkies behind the gate.

I start yelling at the dog and trying to get it to move along and all the neighbors are just watching. Some of the guy in prisons friends are over too for some reason. The dog then looks at me, gets low and begins to growl and show me it's teeth.

Personally I cannot stand this breed, but I like to try and give them the benefit of the doubt.

The dog starts trying to get closer and my neighbors are just laughing. At this point I have my hand on my firearm and had made up my mind that if it tried to bite and I couldn't get the dog from continuing to attack me, which it has been trained to do, I was going to have to let the dog eat a hydrashock or two in front of the kids, which I really didn't want to do.

As the dog got closer and closer I drew my weapon and pointed it straight towards the ground and got in a defensive posistion. At this point the neighbors are yelling and screaming at me, telling me that if i scare the dog it will attack. They called the dog off and came and got it. They called me crazy and said they were going to call the cops because I had a gun and all sorts of other nonsense.

They told me there is a law against carrying guns in public and I informed them that I was on my on private property and I did nothing wrong. They said if I would have killed their dog they would have sued me and yadda yadda. I just looked them directly in the eyes and said,"There is a leash law, if it comes back and trys to attack me I will see you in court."

I havent seen the dog since.

sorry for the long story but i completely understand what Decoligny's situation.
you know, I can't stand the breed either, but I have seen some pit bulls that were really good dogs. I have a similar story as well. When I was about 17 or 18 years old, I was still living with my folks and the neighbors across the street had two pit bulls. My parents were cat lovers and every once in awhile their dog would get out and run the neighborhood.

Well, just like your story, my dad was bleeding the brakes on my parents car and one of the dogs was on our property trying to dig a hole under the fence after chasing one of the cats. The neighbors were out on the porch laughing drinking and totally making fun of the situation. My dad heard my mom yelling and I was home at the time and I came running out to see what the hell was going on.

I see a pit bull that belonged to the neighbor across the street in the yard and I go out the side door that leads to the driveway where my dad was. Well, my dad is already out from under the car and walking towards the other side of the house...with his Colt .1911 he always keeps with him.

My dad hollers for the neighbors across the street to come get their dog and like your story, they hollered saying it would bite if you scare it and to just leave it alone as it wasn't harming anything. Well the dog wasn't scared as it was reading itself for a lounge at my dad and my dad hollered one more time to the neighbors to come get their "damned" dog. They just laughed and said yeah whatever

I remember this like it was yesterday the dog was getting closer, my dad raised his .1911 took aim and left off 3 shots to its head. I'll never forget the yelp it let out but it was threatening my dad. As if nothing else happened, my dad walked over to the dog and another one to its head for good measure called me over, gave me the gun and then dragged the dog across the street and dumped it in front of their porch.

I heard it from clear across the street my dad said "Next time I tell you to come get your dog, come get it, have a nice day". He called the sheriff department afterward to let them know that there was a shooting of a dog on the property in self defense. Sheriff department showed up, took my dad's statement and mine as I witnessed it too and then the neighbors as well. They moved the following month.

I'm an animal lover myself but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Great story. Love it! This is a John Wayne win, hehe!

KylaGWolf

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
fighting_for_freedom wrote:
PRC-E6 wrote:
You prove a good point though. People often take their safety for grantedjust becuase they are in their home neighborhood or in a "nice area". Avicious dog or one that thinks itsprotecting his domain can become a serious hazard; and we may not always have a wrench handy :D.

Oh, I just had a great comeback for when somebody asks why you're carrying a gun:

Your response should be: "Because I don't have a wrench handy."

Oh my God, I'm dying over here... I can't figure out why this is so hilarious to me...

Wasn't funny from where I was looking at it!

This dog is similar, but not exactly what I was dealing with.

wooff.jpg
Ok that dog is just downright EVIL looking.

Someone else mentioned pitbulls. I am not a big fan either. My one and only personal experience was a half pit half sheppard that ONE ate my good leather shoes. Then preceeded to shred the family dauchound to pieces one day. I am leary when it comes to any stray dog. Been bit by one had to have the series of rabbies shots. Not something I want to repeat in my lifetime! Unfortunately we live a block and a half from a school so carrying right outside the house is a no go.

stuckinchico

imported post

Alright You just hit my pet peeve ITs not the dogs fault that lays with the owner PUNISH THE DEED NOT THE BREED i own a bully who is the most loving animal ever (except if you try to hurt me) The only problem is that they very eager to please their owner owner turns em bad

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

What does State Law have to say on the subject of killing dogs?

I'm in Pennsylvania, but California may well have something similar to this:

[align=left]TITLE 3. AGRICULTURE[/align]
[align=left]CHAPTER 8. DOGS [/align]
[align=left]§ 459-501. Killing dogs; dogs as nuisances[/align]
[align=left]
(A) LEGAL TO KILL CERTAIN DOGS.-- Any person may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing or wounding or killing any domestic animal, wounding or killing other dogs, cats or household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings, whether or not such a dog bears the license tag required by the provisions of this act. There shall be no liability on such persons in damages or otherwise for such killing.[/align]
[align=left](B) PRIVATE NUISANCE.-- Any dog that enters any field or enclosure where domestic animals are confined, provided that the enclosure is adequate for the purpose intended, shall constitute a private nuisance, and the owner or tenant of such field, or their agent or servant, may detain such dog and turn it over to the local police authority or State dog warden or employee of the department. While so detained, the dog shall be treated in a humane manner.[/align]
[align=left](C) LICENSED DOGS NOT INCLUDED.-- Licensed dogs, when accompanied by their owner or handler, shall not be included under the provisions of this section unless caught in the act of pursuing, wounding or killing any domestic animal, wounding or killing any dogs, cats or household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings.[/align]
[align=left]
[/align]

SomeGuyInCali

imported post

I did shoot the neighbors dog last week. I live and work on a ranch up in unincorporated county. I was on MY property working when a large dog approached me growling and snarling. The dog kept coming closer and closer so I drew my weapon. The dog continued to come closer and get more aggressive as he did so.
I aimed at center mass and dropped the animal. I let the neighbor know what happened and he completely understood. He apologized for his dog coming at me like that.

Decoligny

imported post

SomeGuyInCali wrote:
I did shoot the neighbors dog last week. I live and work on a ranch up in unincorporated county. I was on MY property working when a large dog approached me growling and snarling. The dog kept coming closer and closer so I drew my weapon. The dog continued to come closer and get more aggressive as he did so.
I aimed at center mass and dropped the animal. I let the neighbor know what happened and he completely understood. He apologized for his dog coming at me like that.
Sounds like you have a reasonable neighbor who knows how it is living in a rural area. I am sure that he wouldn't hesitate to shoot your dog if it did the same to him. :D