Thread: Can the average citizen be compensated as a security guard?

Post imported post

I was browsing the internet when I stumbled upon someone looking to employ an armed security guard at a local apartment complex. I'm curious- is it legal for someone to pay an average citizen who has no security training to watch over their property while armed, or do you have to go through some kind of training program to make that legal?
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Post imported post

I can only say from my experience over 30yrs ago as a Sterling security guard (for a whole 4hrs). What we were told in orientation according to the "law" at the time. In order to be paid as a security guard for property you do not own, you must....
    Be bonded by a liability insurer, legally own/carry a firearm.
    This may all have changed greatly by now, but in this sue happy country we are now forced to endure, I wouldn't do it without being bonded.

Post imported post

EM87 wrote:
    I was browsing the internet when I stumbled upon someone looking to employ an armed security guard at a local apartment complex. I'm curious- is it legal for someone to pay an average citizen who has no security training to watch over their property while armed, or do you have to go through some kind of training program to make that legal?

In Michigan, security guards are not required (by state law) to be Licensed-armed or unarmed. Most of the security guards in Michigan you see in malls, apartment complexes, etc are not licensed. I would guess that most of the armed security guards are licensed to carry (CPL), but are not required.

Goooogle: 338.1069 & 338.1079

If working as an armed guard, you have no more powers than the average joe walking the street with a gun on his hip. And, based on my experiences with a few security companies, if you are involved in a shooting, you are on your own-they do not back you.

I very much doubt the apartment complex will hireanyonefor asecurity guard that is not bonded. The same would apply to companies who they would hire for snow removal and those who provide landscape services (grass cutting).

Post imported post

EM87 wrote:
    In-house or Private contractor ? Two different set of rules. Errors and omissions insurance would be wise.