• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Storage

TexasGrayGhost

imported post

I am planning a trip to Canada this summer. I am look for somewhere I can store my hand gun for less than a week.

I talked to Canadian firearms people and you would of thought I was planning on invadeing. When they found out I was from TX. they said leave it at home. NO WAy.

TexasGrayGhost

imported post

We are headed that way in Aug 09

I was told that some duty free shops have lockers. I find it hard to belive that with Canada's handgun laws that some one does not provide this type of service.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

They used to have lockers, my wife stored her 357 all the time. But since 9-11
I would be shocked if they still have them. You could plant a turbin in one then
bamm, we have another man made incident needing action by our foriegn civil
missunderstanding responders.

Worst case get a storage shed for a month, and put the lockbox in it.
Overkill, but 1 month isn't bad. Climate control prefered.
Lock in trunk, park car and use rental car for the week in canada.
Get a canada approved gun.....:cuss::cuss::cuss:
We all know you are just trying to get more grenades to those sweet soutern border
friends. Geraldo says it is the canada border that is the problem after all.

Augustin

imported post

Texas Grey Ghost,

What I've done before while traveling to Canaduh was to simply drive down a remote forest service road somewhere miles before reaching the border, hike a few hundred feet off into the woods, and lock my guns to a tree in a Pelican case with a cable bike lock and padlock. I'd then cover it with a camo leaf net tarp and some real pine bows and leaves. I felt very safe doing this as the chances of discovery were extremely remote, IMO.

Augustin

40s-and-wfan

imported post

Or you could just be irresponsible and leave your gun lying around in the woods when you're not around...
I'd rather leave it at home and travel unarmed the whole time, instead of chaining it to a tree.

Augustin

imported post

40s-and-wfan

I don’t see what I suggested as being at all “irresponsible” if done properly, meaning the cache is well hidden and was placed without being observed.

Caching firearms is a widely accepted survival and warfare technique that has been used by people worldwide since the French Resistance in WWII. While most caches are placed for long-term storage to prevent confiscation and protect against the elements, some are done for a temporary placement.

A long term cache is intended to lay undetected for years if need be. A fighting cache or ready cache is one where a firearm is kept, sighted in and with the correct ammunition, cleaning gear, and other combat accessories available on short notice. An escape and evasion cache will contain a complete getaway kit (food, clothing, camping equipment, etc.) in addition to a firearm, against the day that the owner finds himself pursued by enemies.

As far as I know, caching weapons is not illegal, yet. Some states have laws that make it illegal to make a firearm accessible to a minor. However, as long as there is one strong lock between the gun and the outside world (such as in a locked vehicle) no crime is committed.

Augustin