• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1 dead, one injured in Miami Burger King [CCW]shooting', MiamiHerald.com

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking-news/story/965735.html
One man was killed and another seriously wounded in a shootout inside a Miami Burger King on Tuesday, officials said.

Police said a man wearing a ski mask walked into the store at Biscayne Boulevard and 54th Street and demanded money from a clerk.

A customer, who has a concealed weapons permit, pulled a gun, said Officer Jeff Giordano, a Miami police spokesman.

The customer and robber exchanged fire.

The robber was shot dead at the scene.

The customer, who had several gunshot wounds, was taken to Ryder Trauma Center in serious but stable condition, said Lt. Ignatius Carroll, a Miami Fire Rescue spokesman.

At about 4 p.m., officials got several 911 calls reporting people shot inside the Burger King.

DanM

imported post

ImFromTheGovernmentAndImHereToHelp wrote:
45ACP vs 9mm???

More likely, tactical surprise and superior shot placement of multiple rounds. Caliber is of little consequence compared to those in a scenario such as this.

imported post

DanM wrote:
ImFromTheGovernmentAndImHereToHelp wrote:
45ACP vs 9mm???

More likely, tactical surprise and superior shot placement of multiple rounds. Caliber is of little consequence compared to those in a scenario such as this.
Way to get serious. :cool:

If the concealed guy had tactical surprise and superior shot placement of multiple rounds how did the bg get so many rounds into him? just curious...

Dragonfly

imported post

Interesting Citizens Comments at the bottom, just glad a stray did not meet its mark. The last thing this type of media coverage needs is to focus on collateral damage.

marrandy

imported post

The article said (for what its worth, the media usually get's it wrong, competent that they are...not), the customer started argueing with the robber.

I assume this means challenging him..repeatedly.

Big mistake.

One quick challenge and then bang..bang...bang...bang.

I only say that because it sounds better, later in court. (you gave him a chance..which , depending on the situation, you may not have time to).

If you are going to CC, then mentally practice what you are going to do in various scenarios.

Practice rapid, accurate firing at the range from the concealed carry position.

Know how you group at various ranges in rapid fire mode and use this to plan how you work the scenarios.

You want to stop the bad guy quickly, without hitting anyone else including people (in cars) outside.

Situational awareness improves with scenario training, realistic practice and everything changes in a real event so the more you can automate the process the better.

If you don't, like this 'good guy', you will get hurt. Other people could as well.

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In this situation, I'm going to do anything possible to let the guy walk out withBurger King's500 bucks. But, if I perceive even in the slightest bit that he's not going toleave anywitnesses, there certainly won't be any arguing.

GWbiker

imported post

Notso wrote:
In this situation, I'm going to do anything possible to let the guy walk out withBurger King's500 bucks. But, if I perceive even in the slightest bit that he's not going toleave anywitnesses, there certainly won't be any arguing.
+1.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

BG has gun... gun is already pointed somewhere. GG engages in confrontational conversation? No. They do that in the movies... Gun in hand... Shoot BG. Money is secondary... BG will shoot for money... or even if he gets the money. Assume the worst.

Shoot first, ask questions later.

MetalChris

imported post

marrandy wrote:
One quick challenge and then bang..bang...bang...bang.
Big mistake.

Take cover, draw, take aim, pop pop, pop.

No warnings or challenges of any kind. That sh!t only happens in Hollywood.

demnogis

imported post

I know a lot of people say it's a bad idea to engage with the BG in any situation. Given that there were a lot of bystanders... I don't think arguing would be a good idea. Getting the BG to focus his attention on you, when you know you can drop him, is better than the BG focusing on someone else.

If they were arguing, he was probably trying to convince the guy to GTFO without hurting anyone, or he was trying to mediate the situation without any gunfire.

MetalChris

imported post

demnogis wrote:
If they were arguing, he was probably trying to convince the guy to GTFO without hurting anyone, or he was trying to mediate the situation without any gunfire.
I for one am not a trained police negotiator, but I can shoot relatively well. ;)

MetalChris

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
I might give the BGONE chance to drop his weapon. If he hesitates, well, too bad. It's a non-negotiable proposition and my patience will be non-existant.
The Seattle Times wrote:
The man who was critically wounded during Sunday's shooting rampage at Tacoma Mall drew a pistol and confronted the gunman before he was cut down by gunfire, his family said Tuesday.

Witnesses told McKown's family that he was shot after he pulled his own handgun during the shooting.

That's an excerpt from an article about the Tacoma Mall shooting in WA State back in '05.

If I have to draw my weapon, it'll do the talkin for me.

buster81

imported post

Jblack44 wrote:
So does this incident not happen if the BG walks in and sees the GG carrying a pistol on his hip?

Hard to say. Perhaps it happens differently. Maybe the BG turns and leaves. Maybe the BG shoots GG. Maybe he shoots everyone.

MetalChris

imported post

buster81 wrote:
Jblack44 wrote:
So does this incident not happen if the BG walks in and sees the GG carrying a pistol on his hip?
Hard to say. Perhaps it happens differently. Maybe the BG turns and leaves. Maybe the BG shoots GG. Maybe he shoots everyone.
I disagree. I think the BG would immediately shoot the LAC OC-er, and then would proceed to wipe out everyone in the restaurant in a murderous rage. :uhoh: I mean we all know that OC-ing makes you a target, right? The media is reporting on these incidents every day, aren't they? :uhoh:

/sarcasm (for those of you who might not have picked up on it)

imported post

Most of you would be surprised how many times I've stood directly in front of someone, TALKING to them, they take anywhere from 5 seconds to never before realizing I'm armed and OC'ing.
You don't wait for the BG to make HIS move. If he's drawn down on someone, game over for him. Give it your best shot, pun intended.

4armed Architect

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Snip...
If he's drawn down on someone, game over for him. Give it your best shot, pun intended.
BING! BING! BING! BING! Correct answer(with added proviso that shot/background is clear)!!!

What is one of the main firearm safety rules? NEVER POINT AT SOMETHING YOU DON'T INTEND TO SHOOT. If bad guy/girl points his/her gun at someone... You must interpret that to mean they INTEND to shoot.

If possible, don't let them. Someone's innocent life may depend on it.

By the way, how do LEO's interpret someone pointing a gun at them? You know the answer.