• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PA NON-RESIDENT CCW PERMIT

FMCDH

imported post

JohnnyBlk45 wrote:
FMCDH wrote:
This is where you should have mailed your Non-resident permit application to.
As Per...http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

Centre County Sheriff's Office
213 East High Street1
Bellefonte, PA16823

If its taking 3 months, something isn't right and I would start making phone calls. Mine took 3 weeks from box to box.

That's the place I mailed it to and they did cash my check. Is the a number I can call?
This is the guy who signs them.
I would start with him. BE POLITE!
http://www.co.centre.pa.us/211.asp

JohnnyBlk45

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
JohnnyBlk45 wrote:
FMCDH wrote:
This is where you should have mailed your Non-resident permit application to.
As Per...http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

Centre County Sheriff's Office
213 East High Street1
Bellefonte, PA16823

If its taking 3 months, something isn't right and I would start making phone calls. Mine took 3 weeks from box to box.

That's the place I mailed it to and they did cash my check. Is the a number I can call?
This is the guy who signs them.
I would start with him. BE POLITE!
http://www.co.centre.pa.us/211.asp

Is this the normal thing to do, call the Sheriff? I don't want him to get upset.

WheelGun

imported post

Susquehanna County (northeast PA) is a good jurisdiction to apply to for those who live in upstate NY (It's just south of Binghamton) but it requires a trip. I sent my application by mail to Centre County and it took as long as the mail takes to get there and back (less than a week round trip). Wow.

DT4E31

imported post

About 6 years ago I applied and received a Centre county pistol permit- non resident. I am a NYS resident .Last year I received a renewal notice. When I sent in my renewal application it was returned DENIED. I called the sheriffs office and spoke with a civilian and was informed them that I had previously been issued a non resident permit, and wished to renew it. I was informed that it would not be, I dont recall the reason. It was rather frustratingbut since I am covered under the LEO protection act of 2004, I didnt bother to protest or argue with the person on the phone. Whats the deal???? This contradictory policy makes no sense to me. But again, I didnt feel like wasting my time on a long distance phone call dealing with the situation. :banghead:

CowboyKen

imported post

DT4E31 wrote:
About 6 years ago I applied and received a Centre county pistol permit- non resident. I am a NYS resident .Last year I received a renewal notice. When I sent in my renewal application it was returned DENIED. I called the sheriffs office and spoke with a civilian and was informed them that I had previously been issued a non resident permit, and wished to renew it. I was informed that it would not be, I dont recall the reason. It was rather frustratingbut since I am covered under the LEO protection act of 2004, I didnt bother to protest or argue with the person on the phone. Whats the deal???? This contradictory policy makes no sense to me. But again, I didnt feel like wasting my time on a long distance phone call dealing with the situation. :banghead:

Since you "didnt feel like wasting my time on a long distance phone call dealing with the situation" what makes you think that anyone here would want to waste their time trying to figure out what your problem is?

Ken

DT4E31

imported post

Well Cowboy ken, please don't waste your time concerned with my post. I'm sure you and your boyfriend up on BrokeBack mountain have other activities to tend too. :shock:

CowboyKen

imported post

DT4E31 wrote:
Well Cowboy ken, please don't waste your time concerned with my post. I'm sure you and your boyfriend up on BrokeBack mountain have other activities to tend too. :shock:
It would seem you would know much more about that kind of stuff then I would. But you seem tofind your situation"rather frustrating"even though your are "covered under the LEO protection." Not thatI have any objection if that is your preference.

Ken

JohnnyBlk45

imported post

I just received my PA permit in the mail and it's a soft copy is that normal? I expected something similar to a drivers license and since it's a soft copy can I have it laminated?

FMCDH

imported post

JohnnyBlk45 wrote:
I just received my PA permit in the mail and it's a soft copy is that normal? I expected something similar to a drivers license and since it's a soft copy can I have it laminated?
Please read the first page of this thread for the answer to that question.

Thx

Penumbrian

imported post

JohnnyBlk45 wrote:
FMCDH wrote:
JohnnyBlk45 wrote:

Thx

Thanks,
I was told that reduced size copies for lamination/wallet carry were NOT valid. They said it could be folded in half and laminated, but as that's still not wallet card size it didn't really interest me. I used two pieces of clear plastic from "blister pack" product packaging waste to encase the paper permit and sealed the edges with tape. It's very secure, but the permit can be removed later on if needed.

Based on the answers I'd seen here and on another forum I'd already made up a nice reduced size copy wallet card but I was instructed by Centre county that a copy wasn't valid.

FMCDH

imported post

Penumbrian wrote:
JohnnyBlk45 wrote:
FMCDH wrote:
JohnnyBlk45 wrote:

Thx

Thanks,
I was told that reduced size copies for lamination/wallet carry were NOT valid. They said it could be folded in half and laminated, but as that's still not wallet card size it didn't really interest me. I used two pieces of clear plastic from "blister pack" product packaging waste to encase the paper permit and sealed the edges with tape. It's very secure, but the permit can be removed later on if needed.

Based on the answers I'd seen here and on another forum I'd already made up a nice reduced size copy wallet card but I was instructed by Centre county that a copy wasn't valid.

A CPL/CHL/LTCF/CWP is an "official government document", and its pretty much universal in the united states that copies of official (state and federal issue) documents are not valid.

Can you think of any other kind of official document that non-notarized or endorsed copies are valid?

We kind of thought that restriction went without saying. :?

Penumbrian

imported post

FMCDH wrote:

Can you think of any other kind of official document that non-notarized or endorsed copies are valid?
Yes, I have one in my wallet right now and a couple more at home. The issuing authority for those documents recommends that you make multiple photocopies for convenience and safekeeping/backups.

In any event just thought I would add to the confusion as on more that one board I've seen reference to it being ok'd to photocopy at 60% size to fit on a wallet card, and in my case they said no.