• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UTAH CCW PERMIT

bmeldrum

imported post

I'm curious now: this 60-90 days after they process the payment, is this calendar days or working business days (as they are only open Mon-Thur 7am-6pm) & closed on holidays. So would that be calendar or business days?

Because if it's calendar days than I'm at 67days, but if it's business days than I'm only at like 40 days. Patient is not a virtue for me, I hate waiting...

thx997303

imported post

Man, something needs to be done, the law says 60 days, not 90.

Pissin me off, and i'm not even waiting for a permit yet.

JohnnyBlk45

imported post

bmeldrum wrote:
I'm curious now: this 60-90 days after they process the payment, is this calendar days or working business days (as they are only open Mon-Thur 7am-6pm) & closed on holidays. So would that be calendar or business days?

Because if it's calendar days than I'm at 67days, but if it's business days than I'm only at like 40 days. Patient is not a virtue for me, I hate waiting...

I think it's business day but I could be wrong.

Mark (IL)

imported post

David59 wrote:
Mailed 2/10/09, check cashed 3/10/09, issued 5/20/09 and in my hands 5/26/09.

Also received a letter stating that "this permit is valid contingent on a satisfactory criminal history report being received from the FBI"  It also states that my permit may be revoked if my fingerprint card is rejected.  :question:

They send me a letter a few weeks after issuing, indicating that my fingerprint card had been rejected, and asked for a new one (I have practically no ridges, am hard to print). Sent a new one from a Livescan Electronic outfit, and heard no more from them...

TommyJ1912

imported post

I called the BCI this morning to check on the status of my permit application. The gentleman I spoke to was very nice. He informed me that they no longer do courtesy status checks and the total processing time for applications is now 4.5 months! :cry: The UT legislature really needs to provide them with more funding for the next calendar year...

bmeldrum

imported post

TommyJ1912 wrote:
I called the BCI this morning to check on the status of my permit application. The gentleman I spoke to was very nice. He informed me that they no longer do courtesy status checks...
I called the BCI this morning also & asked to know about the status of my permit application. The lady was also nice & shejust asked whendid the paymentget processed? I told her it was on April 9th. She said "we haven't gotten to the April 9th apps, it'll probably be another week or two". So sounds like they sort the files based on the payment date...

rpyne

imported post

JohnnyBlk45 wrote:
I received my Utah conceal carry permit last week, I was so happy. I know Utah allows OC so why does the permit state CC permit.
Because no permit is required for OC.

bmeldrum

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Nobody else is upset about the long wait times? The law says what? 60 days?

I think (speaking for myself) it's just easier to try to be patient (learn patience)instead of complaining. I'm frustrated about the wait time butI can live with carrying openly.Certainly if we allspeak up and address the issues to those that can make a difference (congress man/women & the legislators, people in our community), if wetake an active role in those settingsthan perhaps we can make a difference! AMEN!

(that's my soap box for the day) :celebrate

scorpioajr

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Nobody else is upset about the long wait times?...
This is why i applied for Florida's CFP... got it in 55 days. Its a bit more expensive ($117), not counting whatever you spend on your CFP course), but guess what: Its in my wallet. AND its for 7 years, not 5.

The law says what? 60 days?

Lolz,- yea, the law also says you can legally OC in Utah, but that doesn't stop anyone from giving us flak, or trying to impede in some way..

Hopefully it won't be too much longer for ya'll! hang in there. :)

bmeldrum wrote:...
...it's just easier to try to be patient (learn patience)instead of complaining....butI can live with carrying openly....
+1

UtahRSO

imported post

Aw, remembering the "good ol' days." I took my class in 2002 on a Saturday, went to the BCI on Monday (two days later) with the paperwork, got my permit (in the mail!) on Thursday. Total time between class and receiving permit -- 5 days.

I renewed a couple of years ago, and that took quite a bit more time.

bmeldrum

imported post

Well today was the day! I got home, checked the mail and there it was, the letter from the Department of Public safety with what felt like a card inside. Oh it was even better than when I got my mission call. Opened it up and there it was! :lol::celebrateSo in all: payment went through April 9th than July 1st received my permit!! Happy day! Of course I'll continue to oc and exercise my rights...

bmeldrum

imported post

So now that I have my permit I'm trying to brush up on where I can & can't go. As a permit holder Ican pretty much go anywhere, other than: (Airport secure areas, 2. Court secure areas, 3. Jail secure areas, 4. Post Offices, 5. National Parks and monuments, 6. Federal Buildings, 7. Correctional and Mental Health Facilities, 8. A house of worship (posted with BCI), 9. A residence if notice is given (posted sign).

I can (now being a permit holder) enterschool zones, UTA/TRAXS (does it have to be cc or oc in those areas)?.

Alsofrom reading on the BCI site & looking at the maps here, I can go to any of the 33 states (that recognize Utah permits)and can CC or OC or both?

Than pretty muchanywhere else following the 'don't ask, don't tell policy" right?

thx997303

imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
thx997303 wrote:
Nobody else is upset about the long wait times?...

bmeldrum wrote:...
...it's just easier to try to be patient (learn patience)instead of complaining....butI can live with carrying openly....
+1

Yes, it may be easier, but unfortunately the BCI is breaking the law through their little self made loophole, one that is also frequently broken.

They are breaking the law, and should definitely be fought about it.

Who should I contactabout this?My firstinstinct would be The AG, is this correct?

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

thx997303 wrote:

Yes, it may be easier, but unfortunately the BCI is breaking the law through their little self made loophole, one that is also frequently broken.

They are breaking the law, and should definitely be fought about it.

Who should I contactabout this?My firstinstinct would be The AG, is this correct?
Nothing the AG can do. You see, while the law requires permits to be issued within 90 days, it imposes no penalty for failure to do so, nor relief to those affected. A passage of scripture from the Book of Mormon reads, "Where there is no penalty, there is no law." I'm not sure that made a lot of sense to me until this situation with the BCI arose.

Without a penalty or a relief, the law really means nothing.

So your best bet is to contact your State legislators and ask them to change the law by imposing some penalty or relief. And if you come up with a really good idea on how to force the BCI to comply let me know, I'll be very supportive. But I haven't yet figured out a good way to go about doing it that would not also greatly undermine the integrity of our permit.

Charles