• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UTAH CCW PERMIT

rpyne

imported post

JohnnyBlk45 wrote:
How long does it take to receive your CCW permit? My application for Utah was received on 3/3/09, how long does it for them to send your CCW permit?
While this question would be better asked on a Concealed Carry forum, I'll answer as best as I can.

Utah Code allows them 60 days to issue a permit, HOWEVER, there is no real enforcement. They claim they are complying if they get it issued within 60 days of when they finally log it in to their system. Generally, that is after your payment has cleared the bank, which can be almost any time since they get around the requirement by simply not opening their mail until they are ready to process the applications.

In my case, it was 27 days from mailing to when they started the clock on the 60 days. It was mailed 59 days later.

I wouldn't give them too much grief, though, last time I heard they were processing about 800 applications a day.

Loneviking

imported post

Just a tip that might help. If you are applying for an 'out of state' permit, it might be a good idea to include a copy of your resident state CCW permit with your app. I did and had my Utah permit in about thirty days. I can't say for sure that this makes a difference, (I live in Nevada and maybe they are giving preference to apps. from adjoining states?) but it can't hurt.

mqondo

imported post

It has been taking very close to the 60 days from the time your payment was PROCESSED. So if you wrote a check, or used a credit card, then check to see if they have either cashed the check or charged the card. Then it will be very close to the 60 days from that time. If you paid cash, it will be sooner. Not sure how much sooner though.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

rpyne wrote:
I wouldn't give them too much grief, though, last time I heard they were processing about 800 applications a day.

First quarter numbers are in for 2009. A new record number of applicants.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_12167687

Utah hands out record-shattering number of concealed weapons permits

Uncertainty » Political, economic climate may be fueling permit increases.

By Sheena Mcfarland
The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated:04/17/2009 06:20:53 PM MDT

There's been a record-breaking run on concealed weapons permits in the state in what gun store owners and activists say is fueled by political and economic uncertainty.

Utah issued 15,389 concealed weapons permits in the first three months of the year, shattering the previous record of 11,996, which was set in the second quarter of 2008.

Traditionally, slightly more permits have gone out of state than to Utah residents. But in the most recent quarter, permits going to Utahns edged out those going to non-residents, said Lt. Doug Anderson, Bureau of Criminal Identification manager.

Clark Aposhian, chairman of the Utah Shooting Sports Council, points to several reasons for the sharp increase, including fear that the plummeting economy could lead to an increase in home invasions and carjackings.

"People are unsure about what may happen to society should everything come crashing down," Aposhian said. "They may have to protect their family, home and food supply."

It's that fear, justified or not, that also may be causing runs on ammunition and guns.

The last quarter of 2008 showed a huge jump in gun sales, and while that dropped in the last three months, the overall upward trend appears to be continuing.

"People are choosing to go about it legally and getting the training to lawfully carry firearms for self defense," Aposhian said.

Gun dealers are scrambling to keep up with purchases.

"Supply is not necessarily meeting demand right now," said Oly Mann, general manager of Fuzzy Bunny Movie Guns. "There's still a big surge. Supply is down and it's getting worse."

Demand for all types of guns has increased, he said, and the concealed carry classes the store offers are consistently full. He says many people buying firearms are first-time gun owners.

"The general public is more concerned about safety issues nowadays," he said. "I even know people that swore up and down they would never buy or own one, and now they're buying guns."

Many friends and neighbors of Charles Hardy, policy director for Gun Owners of Utah, are doing the same.

The trend is unusual in that historically during economic downturns, people will pawn or sell some of their guns for some quick cash, Hardy said, but this trend is headed in the opposite direction.

He says many of the fears are fueled by a distrust of federal politicians. Despite recent public announcements from President Barack Obama and congressional leaders they won't pursue an assault weapons ban, people are distrustful of those promises, says Hardy.

He points to bills such as the federal HR45, sponsored by Rep. Bobby L. Rush, D-Ill., which would require all gun owners to have a license to own a gun. He says that while a bill similar to it has been proposed annually for the last 10 or 15 years, people worry about having a Democratic president and Democratically controlled houses.

"The bill continues to drive the concern that Washington, D.C., is full of people who don't like guns and don't like people having guns," Hardy said. "The perception is there."

texnutah

imported post

Plan on about 60 days from the time your check is cashed. I attended my class on Feb. 5th. My check was cashed on the 17th. I received my permit almost exactly 60 days later.

RT

tbottoms7

imported post

Expect even longer wait periods than thetwo month time period designated in the statue for the BCI of Utah to issue. It seems several of the employee's at BCI feel it is their RIGHT to DELAY your permit JUST SO THEY CAN MAKE A POLITICAL POINT TO UTAH HOUSE APPROPRIATIONS COMMITTEE.It seemsDoug Anderson, Alice Ericson (Dept Commissioner), andCommissioner R. Townsendfeel overworked and understaffed, thereby justifying violation of state statute that requires issuance or denial of your costly ($65) application. According to Commissioner R. Townsend, your LT. Governor Gary Herbert (soon to replace Huntsman) approves of this VIOLATION OF LAW. My application was submitted on March 9th and has yet to be processed! It was submitted at the BCI and a CASH receipt was given at the window. Do not pay with a Credit Card as they will use the CC processing date to further soften their workload (while still violating the law). Please contact your Utah House and Senate Reps and let them know that the self absorbedchildish conductof BCIin delaying your permit simply to make a political statement isunacceptable!

swillden

imported post

JohnnyBlk45 wrote:
How long does it take to receive your CCW permit? My application for Utah was received on 3/3/09, how long does it for them to send your CCW permit?
That's a good question, and one that I've been doing a lot of work trying to answer.

Here's a chart showing the data I've collected from numerous people over on utahconcealedcarry.com, with moving average lines that try to give you an idea of the latest times we're seeing.

bcidelays_800.jpg

Each vertical line represents one person's permit, and it's on the date they sent in their application. The height of the blue dot represents how long it was before the BCI collected their payment (charged the card or cashed the check) and the height of the purple dot shows how long it took them to receive their permit.

For more detail, and for information about how to add YOUR data to the mix to help us develop good statistics, see:

http://utahconcealedcarry.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5497

David59

imported post

Mailed 2/10/09, check cashed 3/10/09, issued 5/20/09 and in my hands 5/26/09.

Also received a letter stating that "this permit is valid contingent on a satisfactory criminal history report being received from the FBI" It also states that my permit may be revoked if myfingerprint cardis rejected. :question:

Loneviking

imported post

David59 wrote:
Mailed 2/10/09, check cashed 3/10/09, issued 5/20/09 and in my hands 5/26/09.

Also received a letter stating that "this permit is valid contingent on a satisfactory criminal history report being received from the FBI" It also states that my permit may be revoked if myfingerprint cardis rejected. :question:
They do this just as a 'CYA' thing. I've never heard of a permit being turned down after it was issued. Mine had the same language and six months later I've heard nothing from them. Trust me, if there was something wrong, BCI would be calling you direct. I know, I've had them do that to me because the instructor on my certificate was no longer certified by the State of Utah!

calmp9

imported post

JohnnyBlk45 wrote:
My brother's check posted to his account on March 4. He called me on Memorial Day to tell me that his Utah permit had arrived. Since it was a holiday, he must have gotten it on May 23.

He almost blew it, though. We both took the class last on March 12, 2008. I got my permit a long time ago, but he waited. The signed certficate is good for a year and I called him to warn him about it. He barely got the application in on time because we weren't sure how long it would take for Utah BCI to open the envelope and turn the check into the bank.

TommyJ1912

imported post

The BCI received my application for a non-resident permit on 03/11/2009. I paid for the app. fee via a USPS money order. It's now 06/13/2009 (more than 90 days later) and I still haven't received my permit. :X

JohnnyBlk45

imported post

TommyJ1912 wrote:
The BCI received my application for a non-resident permit on 03/11/2009.  I paid for the app. fee via a USPS money order.  It's now 06/13/2009 (more than 90 days later) and I still haven't received my permit.  :X

I'm still waiting also :cuss:

Bennelli

imported post

They are out 90 days, and not the 60 days like the law states, don't call to check on it, because the phone calls stops them from processing a permit. Good Luck and always carry where you can!

bmeldrum

imported post

Bennelli wrote:
They are out 90 days, and not the 60 days like the law states, don't call to check on it, because the phone calls stops them from processing a permit. Good Luck and always carry where you can!
so if I were to call the 801-965-4445 to see if its been mailed or something they will stop the processing?

The payment cleared my bank 4/10/09 and it's now 66days and no permit. Also if there was a problem would they either call or mail a letter? I'm just anxious...

thx997303

imported post

No, if they are talking on the phone, they can't be processing apps at the same time.

So, I guess if I finish my class, I would be expecting around 90 days to recieve mine?

bmeldrum

imported post

Thats what is seems like now, 60-90 days. Guess I can expect around July 10th for mine: unless the 'Gun Gods' deem me worthy to receive it earlier.:banghead: