• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you ever worry about someone following you home to steal your gun?

hometheaterman

imported post

I just got to thinking about it today. Do you guys ever worry that someone will see your gun and later try to come back to steal it? I just wondered as I know several guys that say they wont put stickers or anything on their vehicles letting others know they own guns as they are afraid if someone knows they will try to come steal it.

Neplusultra

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
So they are stupid enough to steal from a guy with a gun? :uhoh:
It's happened. Not too long ago there was a story of a security guard who was jumped by two unarmed youths in an attempt to get his gun. He was badly hurt IIRC but managed to shoot one in the arm before they both fled.

Also, during WWII it was one of the main ways the resistance got German guns... In fact there's a thread right now that has some defensive training photos, one of which is a drill wherein you might not ever get a chance to draw. As Marine says, surprises are everywhere.

See post at the thread below dated: Tue Mar 24th, 2009 03:58 pm

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/23458-2.html

TFred

imported post

Permitting criminals to become aware that there are weapons stored in my home is a concern for me. It is the primary reason I spent the past nine months lobbying my state representatives, and following the progress of the emaciated HB 2144, which claims to protect CHP holders' private information, but actually does almost nothing, since this information is still considered "public" and is available at the courthouse of your residential jurisdiction.

Everyone has their own story, of course. My name is uncommon, so even just a name revealed to the public provides all necessary information to beat a path to my front door. I live alone, and since I am not independently wealthy, I must leave the house to work. It would be simple enough to watch, wait, break in and steal.

Last August, the VCDL Newsletter published this account, which is enough to make us all give a few extra thoughts to each time we enter our homes.

TFred

VCDL Update 8/19/08

4. VCDL member ambushed at home

I received this letter from a member in Hopewell. I'm glad he is OK, but it is another example of how crime happens when you least expect it and why I am always armed whenever possible. It also shows that it is a good idea to be alert when you come home to an 'empty' house.

--

Philip,

I'm writing this to let the VCDL community know that one cannot be too prepared.

Friday, August 8th, I came home from work at about 2:40 p.m. I unlocked the front door and noticed that the alarm was not on. My daughter must have forgot to turn it on when she left earlier. Usually when I enter the house, my two cats are waiting on me and want me to pet them. Well, one acted normal and the other one came to me and then immediately ran behind and underneath the couch (a sign I missed). I laid my motorcycle helmet down and took off my riding pants and jacket.

I tried to call a friend on my cell phone. Then I tried to chirp another friend on the Nextel. I picked up my helmet, as it had fallen off of the motorcycle and I had to wipe it off. I carried it and the Nextel as I went from the living room into the hallway.

Well, this is where things went downhill. Four young men jumped me, beat me, and threw me to the ground. They handcuffed me, taped my legs together, then picked me up and, with a gun to my head, forced me to open my safe (which only held ammo and mags). Then they pushed me into my bedroom and forced me to open three small, pistol-size safes (one of which contained my loaded Glock 27).

They then asked me where the guns were (while hitting me and pointing the gun at me). I told them the guns were in the safe in the basement. They then dragged me to the basement steps and I managed to get down by myself (one scumbag suggested to another to push me down).

I opened the safe and they put me in my food closet (old half bath), and pushed the chest freezer against it. After I did not hear them, I cut the tape off of my legs (I had my box cutter clipped in my right pocket). I forced the door open and escaped through the basement (cellar) door and ran to the house behind me (I live on a corner).

They made off with 22 guns: 5 AR-15s, 2 SKSs, 4 Glocks, 6 S&W revolvers, and a few others.

Not a good day.

However, I am happy to have lived through the ordeal. My left eye was beaten, but it should be fine.

bohdi

imported post

An example of why dogs are better than cats...it makes me wonder what would have happened had the owner had a dog, would he have reacted differently. Same scenario - four guys have to do something to subdue dog. Owner comes in, dog doesn't greet as usual because it can't, how would you react? Guess it depends on how much your paying attention at the time - mind distracted by sorting the mail, thinking about crappy day at work, some jack@ss who cut you off on the way home...

It's an interesting question. I have thought about changing my plates to something else indicating my status - like "armed". I have a RTKBA magnet thanks to another member of this forum. I attend gatherings and openly wear a gun saves lives button/sticker. What would I do if someone stalked me at that point? Depending on the situation I would be already armed (90% or greater chance) when walking into my house. The guy who was jumped didn't appear to be at the time and was at a greater disadvantage due to element of surprise his attackers had. It even sounds like the attackers may have had a cellphone jammer, coordinated attack, pretty sophisticated tactics. It would be interesting to hear if there were any updates on this one.

I assume that I'd pick up on something being wrong. That's my first mistake though.

ChinChin

imported post

bohdi wrote:
An example of why dogs are better than cats...it makes me wonder what would have happened had the owner had a dog, would he have reacted differently. Same scenario - four guys have to do something to subdue dog. Owner comes in, dog doesn't greet as usual because it can't, how would you react? Guess it depends on how much your paying attention at the time - mind distracted by sorting the mail, thinking about crappy day at work, some jack@ss who cut you off on the way home...

It's an interesting question. I have thought about changing my plates to something else indicating my status - like "armed". I have a RTKBA magnet thanks to another member of this forum. I attend gatherings and openly wear a gun saves lives button/sticker. What would I do if someone stalked me at that point? Depending on the situation I would be already armed (90% or greater chance) when walking into my house. The guy who was jumped didn't appear to be at the time and was at a greater disadvantage due to element of surprise his attackers had. It even sounds like the attackers may have had a cellphone jammer, coordinated attack, pretty sophisticated tactics. It would be interesting to hear if there were any updates on this one.

I assume that I'd pick up on something being wrong. That's my first mistake though.
The alarm also wasn't sounding when he got home. History of an absent minded daughter not turning it on aside; not barking when you get home should automaticaly equate to monsters being inside your home, ready to eat you until you've cleared the house and declaired it clear.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I'm aware of this situation though. I definitely check behind me on my way home. I even had one guy who cut me off drive up in front of my apartment(nothing gun related), but I was armed at the time. People can follow you home and it's a scary thought. I try my best to be on the lookout at all times. When carrying I always try to make sure I know my surrounding as best as I can. All we can do is be as prepared and cautious as we can be.

Carnivore

imported post

I leave with a pistol, and come home with a pistol, my wife leaves with a pistol, and comes home with a pistol, there's two pistols loaded and stashed inside the house, and a loaded shotgun stashed inside the house, I so farhave always noticed irregularities, and they prove to be explained with out a shadow of a doubt.. if my dogs don't Bark when I pull up to my house, and the wife is gone I will know something is out of sorts.. If my dogs don't bark and my wife is home i will know something is out of sorts, I'm usually pretty aware of my surroundings, and pick up on small details very easily within my own space/property/dwelling, I don't consider myself paranoid, but everything transpiring around me that I can see or hear should be in order concerning action = reaction.. I'm sometimes tired, but neverunawareor intoxicated.My routine could be monitored, but I work such irregular schedules, after a couple of days someone would have to start all over again and try to schedule me from the startif I ain't here with a loaded gun, then momma is, and my son knows how to access them, so momma has back up.

Michigander

imported post

That's why you should have a gun with you at all times, and lock up the guns you leave at home. Solves the problem easily.

Pagan

imported post

I know most of the regular vehicles in my area, and my house is rural, my closest neighbor is 100 yards from my house,I have big noisy dogs, I always have a weapon, and keep an eye out for anything unusuall on my land, sure it is possible but the likelihood is very small. But everyone lives in a different area with different threats,I am more concerned about rabid foxes around here.:uhoh:

hp-hobo

imported post

Roger that. I live two miles offa state highway and it requires the use of one paved county road and three dirt private roads to get to my place... One house from the very end. There is no through traffic, only one way in and out, a mile outside of a metropolis of 800 people. It's a very sparsely populated area so everyone who lives down this road either knows or at least recognizes each other.

If someone looks fishy on the highway and turns off behind us,both my wife and Ido a stop and see right there, weapon out,within 100 yards of the junction sowe don't get followed home. Once on our property, there are plenty of things to clue us in. Big noisy dogs outside, cats who don't like strangers in their space inside and horses who are very nosy and vocal about anything out of place while driving up our 1/4ish mile long driveway. Plus our neighbor justup the road, Eddy, who is disabled and is the self appointed Neighborhood Watch guy. Nothing gets by him.

The big thing for us is home entry. Face it. If someone was inside looking to do us harm, we're on our own. If we called a cop it'd be an easy two hours before we saw one.We always enter weapon in hand and clear the house one room at a time before getting comfortable.

So to answer the original question. No. We worry about what could, maybe,be waiting inside when we get there. Maybe we should start locking the doors.

darthmord

imported post

I don't worry too much about it. My wife knows how to shoot and carries as well. She's got our baby daughter (#4) to care for.

Taking on a momma bear with a cub is a fast way to have your head and rear end handed to you.

Following me home to rob me is a fast way to piss me off and to have your head handed to you. Had some Democratic Party supporters try to ambush me at my house as I was getting out of my car. They got real polite & respectful when they saw my put my firearm and holster on my belt since I typically have it in the center console when driving. I'll admit to being standoffish and suspicious of them until they introduced themselves and explained why they were in the neighborhood (to promote Glenn Nye & encourage people to vote).

It wasn't lost on them that I was ready to draw if required either. I *really* don't like people trying to sneak up on me. if you are sneaking, you are up to no good. If it involves me, you are getting an extra dose of attention.

Marco

imported post

bohdi wrote: snip
An example of why dogs are better than cats...
I tell my wife all the time if the dog doesn't greet her at the door leave and call the police.

YllwFvr

imported post

I live on the edge of a large town with lots of houses. Seven doors into my house and it's being worked on so people come and go quite a bit. Neighbors that might have watched before won't now.
No animals. I carry all the time so I'm armed but I have to say it would be nothing for someone to get into my house and hide. I have thought about it but I doubt there is much I could do. The house is generally open all week so the guys can get in to work on the bathrooms. At least I don't really have any easily accessable valuables.
However if I was already home no one could catch me unaware. I guess I have to hope of something happens it goes down while I'm watching a movie.

6L6GC

imported post

I rarely worry about that although the thought does cross my mind now and then. I always carry and my wife usually has her gun too. All the rest of my guns are locked in a safe (not a "gun cabinet", but a safe).
Except for the one upstairs that is very very well concealed. And the one downstairs that is also so well concealed that no body is going to find it. When I/we come home I "clear" the house. Check the doors and windows. Don't make a big deal of it, just a walk through.

Following me home you may get away with. Following me into the house could get you shot, multiple times.

Threaten my wife, kids or grandson and I will keep shooting/reloading till ya quit bleeding.

So, no, I don't worry about it too much.

POORBOY

imported post

i dont really worry a whole lot where we are at now. But when we lived in the country our house did get broken in too. Man that thought is always in your head.

Luckily my dad carried in his p/u and ran back out and got it then cleared the house bout 45 mins later deputy slides up at about 150 mph lol. He asks will that dog bite?? Dad says bark maybe bites go ahead and kill him he let somebody rob me lol.

After that if i was home alone i always carried his 380 on me keep in mind i was only 16 or so but very nervous, oh we had 5 Rottweilers too. We also got a alarm system. Only had to unsnap the holster once the guy we think did it pulled up in out drive and i did, then went to the door and opened it then he backed out and left so i dont know what he wanted.

But as for the last 3 places no real worries for me but still think about it. Now i own that little 380 ha guess i cant let it go we got alot of miles together.

Wow i made a little story with a happy ending aint this sweet as a lemon ha.