• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Montclair OC Lunch April 4

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Gentlemen and lady;

Enjoyed having lunch with your folks today. Keep the faith and keep OC'ing to send out the message that we're the good guys.

There was a brief discussion regarding whether or not Virginia was a "duty to retreat" state. My stance was that it is not. In fact, if you have a legal right to be where you are, you may stand your ground and not retreat to avoid having to use deadly force as a defense. The exception to this is if you are party to the instigation and escalation of the threat. Then you must retreat until you can no longer do so safely before you can use deadly force.

If you wear the vale of innocence and are the true victim of the threat, you may stand your ground regardless of where you are, as long as you are there legally.

Here is an excerpt from a case which deals with this. The case is DECARLOS D. COLEMAN.

"III. SELF-DEFENSE
Appellant next contends the trial court erred in refusing
to instruct the jury on self-defense. We disagree.
"Self-defense is an affirmative defense which the accused must
prove by introducing sufficient evidence to raise a reasonable
doubt about his guilt." Smith v. Commonwealth, 17 Va. App. 68,
71, 435 S.E.2d 414, 416 (1993) (citing McGhee v. Commonwealth,
219 Va. 560, 562, 248 S.E.2d 808, 810 (1978); Yarborough v.
Commonwealth, 217 Va. 971, 979, 234 S.E.2d 286, 292 (1977)).
"[A] person assaulted while in the discharge
of a lawful act, and reasonably apprehending
that his assailant will do him bodily harm,
has the right to repel the assault by all
the force he deems necessary, and is not
compelled to retreat from his assailant, but

may, in turn, become the assailant,
inflicting bodily wounds until his person is
out of danger."
Dodson v. Commonwealth, 159 Va. 976, 979, 167 S.E. 260, 260
(1933) (quoting Jackson's Case, 96 Va. 107, 30 S.E. 452 (1898))."

I would also like to add this from the president of VCDL.

"It's covered in common law and case law in VA. We are a stand your ground state (you can stand your ground anywhere where you can legally be). Only if you are part of the problem must you retreat."

wheelerXD

imported post

It was nice meeting ya'll today. Thanks Joe for setting up the lunch and hope we can do a meetup more often it's nice to meet like minded people.

Semper Fi

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
gotsig wrote:
It was nice meeting ya'll today. Thanks Joe for setting up the lunch and hope we can do a meetup more often it's nice to meet like minded people.

Semper Fi
Ditto.

Enjoyed the time spent.

Same here.. I will try to set another one up just around the next Dale City Gun Show.

Thanks to all who showed up, and to those who wanted to but couldn't.

rebfan

imported post

Ditto for me too. Even the waitress said she was happy to have us open carry there, as it made her feel safer.

SouthernBoy,

Thanks for the reference.

joeamt wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
gotsig wrote:

Semper Fi
Ditto.

Enjoyed the time spent.

Same here.. I will try to set another one up just around the next Dale City Gun Show.

Thanks to all who showed up, and to those who wanted to but couldn't.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I have to admit, you two gentlemen had me going for a while there. I thought I had missed something in the shuffle.. as in a change to Virginia law. So I spent some time on Saturday checking out links to see what I could find regarding "duty to retreat" and "stand your ground" in Virginia. A surprising number of hits said the same things both of you did. But then I dug up that case I posed the excerpt from (above) and also what Phil (VCDL) had posted and I felt better about my stance on this. But I still welcome any and all information regarding this most important issue.

rebfan

imported post

I feel better too, knowing I can stand and defend my house.