• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

trying to convince dad to let me hava a .22

mmightyowen

imported post

So i am 13 and trying to convince my dad to let me have a .22 rifle. I have had every kind of airgun you can think of and i have also past my hunters safety course in the state of california. so he finally made a deal it is i have too buy 2 safes (one for gun and one for ammo) and i have too buy my gun and ammo and he can only know both combinations. I dont wanna take the deal because it is a waste of my money too buy 2 safes and not even be able too open them. help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mmightyowen wrote:
So i am 13 and trying to convince my dad to let me have a .22 rifle. I have had every kind of airgun you can think of and i have also past my hunters safety course in the state of california. so he finally made a deal it is i have too buy 2 safes (one for gun and one for ammo) and i have too buy my gun and ammo and he can only know both combinations. I dont wanna take the deal because it is a waste of my money too buy 2 safes and not even be able too open them. help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate to be harsh here but.... it's getting to be the summer time. Grass is starting to grow. Odds are your old man will let you use his lawn mower to cut some yards and make some money. Cut yards on your weekends, save your money, and buy a gun on his terms. That's how it works. You can't see what he is doing for you now, but when you get a lot older you'll see just what he is trying to do for you and how much he cares.

Table

imported post

You don't say what city/state you live in.

My suggestion is to join a 4H Shooting Sports Education Club, hopefully in a town near you. You still won't immediately have your own rifle, but you will shoot a lot and learn much more!

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I suggest you try to negotiate for one safe, and Dad keeps the combo. You cannot buy a firearm or ammo as a minor. Nor can you be in possession of a firearm without adult supervision. That is STATE LAW and your Dad can't afford any chance of a violation (real or perceived).

I know you feel that your dad's rules seem atrociously outrageous to you right now. We were all you age at one time and had to go thoughthe same. It won't last forever.

I bleive your Dad has your best interest at heart. At least he didn't tell you, "hell NO".

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Nor can you be in possession of a firearm without adult supervision. That is STATE LAW and your Dad can't afford any chance of a violation (real or perceived).

Well...maybe....a lot of "ifs" here.

I'm going to assume that since he posted in the Va forum, that he livesin Va.

The Code says:

18.2-56.2. Allowing access to firearms by children; penalty.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to recklessly leave a loaded, unsecured firearm in such a manner as to endanger the life or limb of any child under the age of fourteen. Any person violating the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to authorize a child under the age of twelve to use a firearm except when the child is under the supervision of an adult. Any person violating this subsection shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. For purposes of this subsection, "adult" shall mean a parent, guardian, person standing in loco parentis to the child or a person twenty-one years or over who has the permission of the parent, guardian, or person standing in loco parentis to supervise the child in the use of a firearm.

Spectre

imported post

curtiswr wrote:
What kind of help are you looking for exactly? I'm not sure what we can do. His house, his rules.

Exactly. I had to go through a similar situation growing up with a BB gun. Although I was a little annoyed by it, the situation taught me to be grateful of the fact he let me have one in the first place.

That's one of the many problems with society today. Most folks/kids are ingrateful little brats. Thanks MTV. :banghead:

HardChrome

imported post

I'd abide by his rules if I were you. Often I test my daughter to see how resistance she will give me on things and just how much she wants something. If she pays the price and does it with respect then I know she is sincere. She has quite a list of wants right now but until she proves that she is determined enough to stick with any one of them, I'm not giving in.

I'd take him up on his offer. Sounds like a good dad to me. Remember, you're still 13. :)

bohdi

imported post

My step son wants something. He begs. He cries. He says how great I am. He has little money and lots of wants.

Over the last six years of his life when he has gotten something that he "really really needs" it is a material item that he rarely picks up after the first three weeks in his possession and largely ignores. He becomes "bored" because there is "nothing to do" even while his PS2, Wii, laptop, cellphone, large screen tv (MINE), bicycle, skateboards, rollerblades(MINE), dog (he says "I will take care of it" but never plays with it), video camera (old one), guitar (MINE) are unused.

He asks, "Teach me to play guitar", I say "Here is a book, you know how to read, learn the notes on each of the strings and practice your finger placement, then we'll talk". My guitar is untouched. He says, "We need a gym membership", I say "I lost 50 pounds right here in this house and I will teach you how to do the same and make yourself stronger, let me know when you are ready and want to start." He still has not asked.

My step son is not a bad kid. He's a typical kid. Much like I was. What people are trying to explain to you is that your father while you think he is being unreasonable is doing you a favor by making you work for something you want. You will appreciate it more than just being handed something. You probably won't believe or realize how true this is until you're older. A few have recommended you look for gun clubs to join, that's a pretty good bit of advice. You may want to also start reading about the laws in your state, to show that you are serious about taking up this additional responsibility. Or you could choose to do nothing at all.

I'll bet money your dad is just reacting to your behavior - your choices and actions are causing his re-action.

bohdi

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
bohdi wrote:
My step son wants something. He begs. He cries. He says how great I am. He has little money and lots of wants.
Did your step son vote in the recent elections?

:lol:
Well he does believe he's 30 and not 12. I'm surprised he hasn't tried. Although he did say that McCain sucked and Obama should win. :banghead:Of course, when asked he couldn't articulate (that'sexplain to me mmightyowen) why he felt that way....

demnogis

imported post

Owen... Welcome to OCDO!

1st: Have you decided on what rifle you want? I would suggest a Ruger 10/22 as a good starting point. Get a scope and some extra mags.

2nd: Talk to your dad. You do not need to store ammunition in a locking safe. It is a good idea, however, to store ammunition and firearms separately. I do not, but I also do not have any children at my house. For ammo, I would suggest a clamping ammo case. You will, however, need the safe for the rifle.

3rd: Realize the laws here in CA ... overstep their boundaries. Sadly, you must comply or you could potentially be putting yourself and/or your father in legal jeopardy. Not fun! Especially if you're a parent.

4th: You cannot legally buy ammunition nor "own" a firearm until your are 18 years old. You can, however, earn the money for both and your father can buy both. When you are 18, the firearm will become yours. Transfers (I believe, IANAL) between immediate family can be done free, without going through an FFL and without a HSC (if a handgun) so long as the recipient is not disqualified from owning or possessing the firearm.

Hopefully when you're 21, have plenty more experience as a marksman, you'll join us as an OCer.

Good luck!

Decoligny

imported post

mmightyowen wrote:
So i am 13 and trying to convince my dad to let me have a .22 rifle. I have had every kind of airgun you can think of and i have also past my hunters safety course in the state of california. so he finally made a deal it is i have too buy 2 safes (one for gun and one for ammo) and i have too buy my gun and ammo and he can only know both combinations. I dont wanna take the deal because it is a waste of my money too buy 2 safes and not even be able too open them. help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only advice I have for you is the following:

Wait 5 years, move out of his house and buy your own .22 rifle.

Or, play by his rules. He owns the house and the only thing he is required to do is keep you fed, clothed, housed, and healthy.

Toys are a bonus.

jbone

imported post

Try to approach it from a from an angle of"Dad wouldn’t be cool if we could buy this together, I'll save my allowance, cut lawns, do all my chores, not pull my sister hair, and we could do something really awesome together on the weekends, Dad I would love it if you could teach me how to shoot. Kind of how my youngster pleads the cases.

I got my first Gun (20ga) at age 14 in "1974" and still have it.

Edit: how the hech did a 13 year old (if really 13)come across thissite?

Carnivore

imported post

I say you're not ready for a rifle or any firearm for that matter. How dare you challenge the authority of a parent or Guardian that has hopefully raised you in a loving environment thus far,then ask the opinions of god knows who over the internet that haven't gota clue of your personality/values/level of responsibility.etc.etc. Grow up and learn that times are hard for a lot of folks in this day and time, and instant gratification is close to going down the tubes.. Work and save the required amount for the freebie you're asking your dad to foot the bill for and prove you deserve something that reflects a maturing young man!!

Kids really suck these days:cuss:

Spectre

imported post

Carnivore wrote:
I say you're not ready for a rifle or any firearm for that matter. How dare you challenge the authority of a parent or Guardian that has hopefully raised you in a loving environment thus far, then ask the opinions of god knows who over the internet that haven't got a clue of your personality/values/level of responsibility.etc.etc. Grow up and learn that times are hard for a lot of folks in this day and time, and instant gratification is close to going down the tubes.. Work and save the required amount for the freebie you're asking your dad to foot the bill for and prove you deserve something that reflects a maturing young man!!

Kids really suck these days:cuss: 

+100

POORBOY

imported post

i must have had a real cool dad i got a bb/pellet rifle and pistol at a real young age. Then at oh about 10 or so i got a .410 pump shot gun but the deal was he would get it and i could use it. So take what he is offering hell its a start. Like they said its his house you cant really do much. Just get you a 10/22 like was said earlier learn to shoot it well and you and your old man go hunting, i still would rather go rabbitt and squirell hunting any day over deer and such. but i started with a pellet gun then the 410. Hey its good time together and it will keep you out of trouble.

and yeah i know i at least really f'd up the bushy tail word so sue me:celebrate