• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

trying to convince dad to let me hava a .22

mmightyowen

imported post

first off i am not challenging my father. second i am asking for opinions on if i should take that deal or not. And if you think times are hard for me not being able to own a fire arm then you need too grow up. i can live with out one but yes i do want one as i said i have grown up with air rifles and it is a fun sport i just wanna take it to the next level.:)

mmightyowen

imported post

first off i am not challenging my father. second i am asking for opinions on if i should take that deal or not. And if you think times are hard for me not being able to own a fire arm then you need too grow up. i can live with out one but yes i do want one as i said i have grown up with air rifles and it is a fun sport i just wanna take it to the next level.:)

mmightyowen

imported post

mmightyowen

imported post

mmightyowen

imported post

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sometimes, when we post a reply, there is a long delay and it seems like nothing is happening. Just wait and don't hit the send button again, or you'll do multiple post like this.

I think we're all agreed that you probably should take the deal.

bohdi

imported post

I don't think anyone here has said times are hard for you, I think alot of people have said that from what little you have posted you haven't done enough to prove you deserve the responsibility to own one and haven't worked to earn the right to own one. Sure you probably think it's unfair for your dad to make you pay for the safes, make you pay for the weapon, the bullets etc and NOT allow you free access to all of it. There are reasons for that. The first has to deal with your local laws. Second is that no matter what you think, you may not be responsible enough in your dad's eyes to have access to all three. Only you can change this second opinion and whining about it being unfair is not going to win you any support.

Your asking for advice, be prepared to hear things you don't like from strangers :)

POORBOY

imported post

Well i said take the deal. But to be honest i felt like you just hollered at us:cuss:

So if thats the way it is at home maybe you should have to wait awile for one. Like was said if you ask opinions on a public forum from strangers you aint always gonna hear what you want. thanks

Carnivore

imported post

mmightyowen wrote:

And if you think times are hard for me not being able to own a fire arm then you need too grow up

:lol:Ok little man calm down, we're not and I'm not a bunch of hate mongers, Maybe I did come off a little bossy to you with my replies, But I address my nephews, neices,and grandchildren in the same manner, if they come to me looking for an alternative opinion to what their parents have suggested.. When I was your age, I had a lot of learning to do, and guess what, I'm still learning everyday, and I'm sure your father will tell you the same.See above where I copied your statement of times being hard not being ableto own a firearm, thats a little hint of your youthfulness right there, I wasn't referring to your not being able to own your own firearm as tuff times.. But in your eyes you think I said not getting what you want and right now = tough times, thats the level your thinking at at this age, all your dad said is you need to followhisprescribed process and the gun would be yours, and obviously you had to get a second opinion of an answer that came from the highest authority in your chain of command.. THATS NOT GOOD !!When your Dad offers an opinion, he's trying to save you a few steps in the learning process that he has already been through or is knowlegable of, Listen to and absorb all you can from your Dads insight, he's paving the way for you so you don't have to learn with the hard knocks he went through.. Trust in your Father and he won't lead you wrong.. You never know if he sees you making an honest effort and some progress toward a gun safe, that might be the sign he's looking for to show you're mature enough, he may just help foot the bill on some of this shooting stuff.. My youngest is a stepson, and he has every gun in the place at his disposal with me beside him, but he shows very little interest in firearms, If you were my son, I'd wear you out at the range and in the woods!!

All that said If you'll accept my apology for being snappy, I'll accept your apology for Challenging your highest ranking house member..

P.S. keep us posted in your progress toward saving for a gun safe..

Marco

imported post

Tin foil hat:
I could be wrong but I believe the mmightyowen isa anti or Leo hoping one of us would ofer to sell him a rifle.
Like some offer to do with those under 21 but over 18 with ammo.

fullauto223cal

imported post

Carnivore - WISE WORDS FROM A WISE MAN!!!

(Agent 19) & Everyone Else

I just started reading this post and I began to get the same feeling you have. I've never read anyone claiming to be 13 post on this board before. Has anyone else? It is nice to see however that if this is some kind of "sting" that the people behind it appear to be getting nowhere. Every post I've read so far has been common sense and lawful.

mmightyowen - If, in fact, you are 13 and really are just in a bind over your father making you work for your first .22 firearm try to understand where he is coming from. The state you live in is likely the MOST anti-gun state in the union. Both your Senators have a good number of your house representatives hate the fact that the Second Amendment exists. Because of this, your state has very strict firearm storage laws which I will guess is the reason your father wants two safes.

I'm sorry you had the rotten luck to be born and raised in a crappy state like California. I am glad however that there are young people like you who are not brain dead when it comes to firearms, you do not appear to have succum to the anti-gun indoctronation.

Patients is a virtue my firend. Although my father bought me a 20ga shotgun when I was a boy, it wasn't until I was 18 that I owned my first pistol (Ruger 9mm) but I purchased it with my own money. When I was 19 I owned my first AR-15 rifle but of course I live in TN where liberty is still valued.

POORBOY

imported post

fullauto223cal wrote:
(Agent 19) & Everyone Else

I just started reading this post and I began to get the same feeling you have. I've never read anyone claiming to be 13 post on this board before. Has anyone else?

nope i do think this could be the youngest one to date.

CharlesC

imported post

Kid,

Its a good deal. Work with your dad to determine the lowest cost safes you have to get. Work your butt off and enjoy the rewards. Get a .22 that you can pass on to your son when he is the same age, even if it costs you a lot of money. Like a high quality Remington Model 700.

Most of us who have had guns when young, less than 10yo, are die hard 2A supporters. The new laws are designed to stamp out this support in a generation or so. This puts your dad in a really hard place. If he doesn't make damn sure he follows the law, he may end up in jail with you in foster care. I'm not joking.

Let's say you work your ass off and get your .22, you can't wait to tell your friends at schooll and a teacher overhears your talk of guns. These days that is looked at as a crime. You get suspended or set for a psych eval and social services shows up at your house and all guns are confiscated becasue a minor "owned" a gun.

He may be testing you but he may also see somethign in you that makes him belive that you are ready for a real rifile.

Your dad seems to be making a real effort to make it so that you can get what you want. I suggest you find a way to make the effort yourself and to get it.

It may sound like a hardship to get some safes but why should your dad have to get yours safes and gun? You want something, you should earn it. Fair is fair.

If you worked for it, you could have your .22 by the fall. It all depends on how much you want something.

Let us know how it goes.

-CharlesC

NightOwl

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
Nor can you be in possession of a firearm without adult supervision. That is STATE LAW and your Dad can't afford any chance of a violation (real or perceived).

Well...maybe....a lot of "ifs" here.

I'm going to assume that since he posted in the Va forum, that he livesin Va.

The Code says:

18.2-56.2. Allowing access to firearms by children; penalty.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to recklessly leave a loaded, unsecured firearm in such a manner as to endanger the life or limb of any child under the age of fourteen. Any person violating the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to authorize a child under the age of twelve to use a firearm except when the child is under the supervision of an adult. Any person violating this subsection shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. For purposes of this subsection, "adult" shall mean a parent, guardian, person standing in loco parentis to the child or a person twenty-one years or over who has the permission of the parent, guardian, or person standing in loco parentis to supervise the child in the use of a firearm.

Recklessly. It's not reckless if there's no other minors in the house who aren't trained shooters. The OP sounds like he's capable of handling a firearm safely, so it would be mighty hard to nail it down to recklessness. As for the other, not giving permission to fire it covers that.

The two safe thing sounds a bit much too. Seriously, two safes? Still...if you can manage it, it'll be good for your character to put in the work and get the rewards...as long as you can take the safes with you when you move out. ;) They'd be yours, after all, as you bought 'em. Yeah, I know you probably rolled your eyes when I said that, I would have at your age...and I would have a few years ago even, but it really does build character.