• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Expert Testimony

Liberty Sanders

imported post

Folks, allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Harry Thomas, and I'm a retired police lieutenant from the Cincinnati Police Department. I am a former member of the NRA Board of Directors and a former board member of the Ohio Gun Collectors Association. I was the founding vice-president of the Law Enforcement Alliance of America, a national organization of peace officers dedicated to the preservation of gun ownership rights.

Although I now live in Carmel, Indiana I have been closely following CCW and OC issues in Ohio both here and at OhioCCW.org, and frankly I am getting highly PO'd at the number of incidents of decent citizens having their chains pulled by rogue cops over gun carry issues.

Let me make something perfectly clear: EVERY COP IN OHIO KNOWS THAT IT IS LEGAL TO CARRY OPENLY! The problem is that some of them don't AGREE with that right, and they choose to harass gun owners because they can get away with it. They fall back on lame excuses about panicked citizens "calling it in" or "inducing panic," as justification to commit civil rights violations. Unfortunately, it is unheard of for an officer to be disciplined for such unlawful conduct.

When a police officer stops and forcibly detains a citizen based solely on the fact that the citizen is openly carrying a firearm, that police officer is committing the crime of Kidnapping. When a police officer demands that a citizen surrender a legally carried firearm, ESPECIALLY when the demand is made at gunpoint, that police officer is committing the crime of Aggravated Robbery.

There is one thing and ONLY one thing that will put a stop to this, and that is to hit the cities who allow this by their police departments squarely in the pocketbook!

I wish to offer my services as an expert witness to any Ohio citizen who has been victimized in the manner I've described above. I am a veteran law enforcement command officer, and I can testify that law officers who engage in this type of behavior do it with the full knowledge that their conduct is unlawful. I've testified many times in many venues concerning gun rights, from Cincinnati City Council, to state legislatures, to the Congress of the United States, and I'm good at it.

I don't ask for and will not accept expert witness fees for my testimony. When I became a police officer I swore a solemn oath to defend the constitutions of the United States and the State of Ohio, and as far as I'm concerned that oath is still in effect, my retired status notwithstanding. I will accept an offer of a place to stay if it is made.

I will also intervene on the behalf of a plaintiff who wishes to seek financial assistance from the NRA Firearms Civil Rights Legal Defense Fund. Although I no longer serve on the NRA BOD, I am still known and respected in the organization, and although I can offer no guarantees of financial assistance I will do my utmost to help obtain it.

I give my blessing to repost this message in any venue where anyone thinks it will do any good.

Let's put a stop to this crap!

IxionDeece

imported post

Oh Behalf of many Ohioans who would without a doubt agree with me let me thank you for the offer. We could use more people like you both in the mindset that you have and you previous status in law enforcement. And I agree with you without a shadow of a doubt on how to rid ourselves of the problem that we do have at hand. I cannot be sure if/how many people might take you up on your offer, but I do wish that no one would have to. We need more LEO's in Ohio that have the same views as you have stated. Unfortunately lately our great government has tried saying that defenders of the constitution is a criminal organization. Does that mean that we are all criminals now? Does that mean that honest police officers like you once were are now criminals?

All in All I do agree WE DO NEED TO PUT A STOP TO THIS CRAP!!!!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Liberty Sanders wrote:
Folks, allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Harry Thomas, and I'm a retired police lieutenant from the Cincinnati Police Department. I am a former member of the NRA Board of Directors and a former board member of the Ohio Gun Collectors Association. I was the founding vice-president of the Law Enforcement Alliance of America, a national organization of peace officers dedicated to the preservation of gun ownership rights.

Although I now live in Carmel, Indiana I have been closely following CCW and OC issues in Ohio both here and at OhioCCW.org, and frankly I am getting highly PO'd at the number of incidents of decent citizens having their chains pulled by rogue cops over gun carry issues.

Let me make something perfectly clear: EVERY COP IN OHIO KNOWS THAT IT IS LEGAL TO CARRY OPENLY! The problem is that some of them don't AGREE with that right, and they choose to harass gun owners because they can get away with it. They fall back on lame excuses about panicked citizens "calling it in" or "inducing panic," as justification to commit civil rights violations. Unfortunately, it is unheard of for an officer to be disciplined for such unlawful conduct.

When a police officer stops and forcibly detains a citizen based solely on the fact that the citizen is openly carrying a firearm, that police officer is committing the crime of Kidnapping. When a police officer demands that a citizen surrender a legally carried firearm, ESPECIALLY when the demand is made at gunpoint, that police officer is committing the crime of Aggravated Robbery.

There is one thing and ONLY one thing that will put a stop to this, and that is to hit the cities who allow this by their police departments squarely in the pocketbook!

I wish to offer my services as an expert witness to any Ohio citizen who has been victimized in the manner I've described above. I am a veteran law enforcement command officer, and I can testify that law officers who engage in this type of behavior do it with the full knowledge that their conduct is unlawful. I've testified many times in many venues concerning gun rights, from Cincinnati City Council, to state legislatures, to the Congress of the United States, and I'm good at it.

I don't ask for and will not accept expert witness fees for my testimony. When I became a police officer I swore a solemn oath to defend the constitutions of the United States and the State of Ohio, and as far as I'm concerned that oath is still in effect, my retired status notwithstanding. I will accept an offer of a place to stay if it is made.

I will also intervene on the behalf of a plaintiff who wishes to seek financial assistance from the NRA Firearms Civil Rights Legal Defense Fund. Although I no longer serve on the NRA BOD, I am still known and respected in the organization, and although I can offer no guarantees of financial assistance I will do my utmost to help obtain it.

I give my blessing to repost this message in any venue where anyone thinks it will do any good.

Let's put a stop to this crap!

Is there any way to verify what you say, all of the organizations you mention you seem to be a former member. Do you have contact info, perhaps some other evidence to prove that you arewho you say you are. No offense, but anyone can claim to be anything on the internet. I've been burned before.

Thanks.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Welcome to OCDO Liberty Sanders!!!!

You might prove to be the turning point. A powerful contributor to the cause.

Thank you for the offer.

May I suggest sending a Private Message to the founders of this forum to introduce yourself? They are both in law school and don't get the time to visit their own forum regularly. They may miss you as this thread ages.

They are "JPierce"and "Mike".

Liberty Sanders

imported post

Sheesh...a bit more specificity if you please. Try "Lieutenant Harry Thomas Cincinnati NRA."

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I have PMed Mr. Thomas, and am awaiting a phone call. I will post the results.

I met Mr. Thomas a number of years back.

I cannot yet vouch for the poster being him, but I will vouch for Harry Thomas, former CPD, as being a real friend of the law-abiding citizen, ofthe RKBA,for what is right and just, and as being a former member of the NRA B.O.D.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I have just gotten off the phone with Mr. Thomas, and am pleased to report that IMHO Liberty Sanders is indeed Harry Thomas, with the background as claimed.

I met him years ago at a Blue Chip Young Republicans meeting in Cincinnati, when he was still active duty CPD.

old dog

imported post

It is a sad but inescapable fact that some police officers are not fit for the job. Too many sign on because they are bullies at heart and many of these are from the shallow end of the gene pool. It must be terrible to be a decent cop and have to work with and support some of these people.

Another thing: The cachet of carrying a gun is diminished when citizens are also allowed. This attitude is responsible for a lot of abuses.

Fehrmann69

imported post

If you ever need a place to stay in the Toledo area of Ohio, I would be more than happy to have you as a guest in my home.

Fehrmann69

imported post

I read the case #80-945, and I applaud your standing up for your first and second ammendment rights. It is especially disheartening when your brother LEOs cannot stand with you. There are so many people that just don't realize the ease at which freedom can slip away.

niko

imported post

You Sir
Are a great hero to this nation for standing up for your rights were so many others have not.
I believe in your ideas as much as you do. I was born with the right and by god I will do so lawfully