• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tidewater April OC Dining Out

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'll be there. Primos is getting old, however. We need to branch out and try other local restaurants.

And Ron, don't even start preaching about how I can set up a dining out anytime I want.:p

Bubba Ron

imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
I'll be there. Primos is getting old, however. We need to branch out and try other local restaurants.

And Ron, don't even start preaching about how I can set up a dining out anytime I want.:p
Anyone can....and should....besides we support those that support us ;).

Crash7795

imported post

So I'm curious about a couple things...do you set it up ahead of time with the restaurant, or at least verify that they are OC friendly? And who is in charge of setting up dinners? Just curious.

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

We don't ask if we can carry in their restaurant. We just call and set up a time and see if they can provide seating at one table ( by pushing them together) for 15 to 20 people. We don't ask as they can then deny us. And we have always been asked to come back.

Sorry I stated wrong that we had been turned away, we left and went some where else because the wait would be so long. Thanks Ron for refreshing my memory.

Bubba Ron

imported post

Crash7795 wrote:
So I'm curious about a couple things...do you set it up ahead of time with the restaurant, or at least verify that they are OC friendly? And who is in charge of setting up dinners? Just curious.
No, we do not pre-verify if they are OC friendly, we sometimes give them a call to let them know a large group will be arriving. No one is "in charge" anyone can post a dining out - then people can decide if they want to attend or not based on the time, day, and type of food. We have been doing these OC dining outs since June 2006, usually twice a month, and have never been denied service or been spoken to by any police. Our largest gathering was at the Freemason Abbey in Norfolk when we had 35 people show up for dinner before the Norfolk City Council meeting (we had about 100 folks at the meeting) in support of Danbus.

ETA: I must have missed the one we were turned away from.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Portsmouth, Va. (March 12, 2009) –

WHO: Amore', Baron's Pub, Biergarden, Brutti's, The Flagship, Foggy Point Bar & Grill at the Renaissance Portsmouth Hotel, Gosport Tavern, Krush, Montgomery Grill, Revolution, Roger Brown's, Still Worldly Eclectic Tapas and Stove --The Restaurant and more

WHAT: These restaurants along with the City of Portsmouth are inviting the Hampton Roads public to “Come back for seconds” during TWO Portsmouth Restaurant Weeks

WHERE: Olde Towne Portsmouth, Port Norfolk and Shea Terrace sections of Portsmouth, Virginia

WHEN: April 13 – 19 and April 26 – May 2

MORE: Most of the participating restaurants will provide price fix lunch menus and dinner menus. For more information, please visit [url]http://www.oldetowneportsmouth.com[/url].

This year’s sponsors include Friends of Portsmouth Restaurant Week, The Portsmouth Partnership, PortsEvents and the City of Portsmouth. Portsmouth Restaurant Weeks’ beneficiary is EdMarc Hospice for Children, which serves families all over Hampton Roads. Please visit [url]http://www.edmarc.org[/url].

For more general Restaurant Week information, please call Portsmouth Visitor Information Center at (757) 393-5111.

Fiancee's parents live in Old Towne, so I get the scoop on all this stuff on a regular basis. Might be a good time to try an event in P-Town...

Bubba Ron

imported post

Rather than complain about an already scheduled dining out, or list a large amount of restaurants,please feel free to schedule a dining out for when and where you want one. If people want to join you they will - we all like to eat and get together.

I would like to suggest that you wait until a scheduled dining out is over before you schedule another one just to avoid the confusion about which dining out is being discussed at the time.

Crash7795

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
Rather than complain about an already scheduled dining out...
No complaining intended. Everyone has their own schedules they must keep, and mine is just more incompatible than most. One of these days, I'll make it to a dinner. Looking forward to it.

Bubba Ron

imported post

Crash7795 wrote:
Bubba Ron wrote:
Rather than complain about an already scheduled dining out...
No complaining intended. Everyone has their own schedules they must keep, and mine is just more incompatible than most. One of these days, I'll make it to a dinner. Looking forward to it.
Sorry Crash, I didn'tintend for my post to point a finger at you (that's why I didn't quote you) - we've had a few posts in the past that didn't like either the date or type of food at the place suggested - we need to let everyone know that ANYONE can post a dining out, in fact it would make them a lot more interesting and fun!! Now the hard part is getting others to participate....

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Well I'm in Blacksburg, I'm just from Tidewater and thought OC'ers might be interested in two "restaurant weeks" that might allow for a fancier dinner on the same budget.

Not trying to schedule, nor complain because I know I can't make it regardless of when or where unless you head west on 460 until you hit Roanoke, then go west some more...

But I can take a hint. :cool:

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:
But I can take a hint. :cool:
The "hint" is: schedule a dining out - where and when it's convenient for you;) We have a lot of folks in Tidewater that don't miss too many dining outs :D

That's what I mean, I just know the area, and get random emails from my future in-laws about happenings in Portsmouth. I'm going to be up here (Blacksburg) until the 13th of May, I was just throwing out an idea so that someone who is around town and does have time could perhaps schedule one based on one of those two weeks since none of them are convenient for me.

No worries, I usually find those emails about as useless as you just found the copy/pasted version :lol:

Bubba Ron

imported post

SaltH2OHokie, I hope we see you in May at a dining out - do you knowthe dates you'll bein Tidewater - we'll schedule a dining out then too!! Actually, I don't remember us ever having a dining out in Portsmouth, but there's always a first time!!