Thread: HCP renewal

Post imported post

I was looking over the renewal form yesterday and, for the life of me, I just cannot see any justification for the requirement to "Submit certified proof of U.S. citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency (NO Photo Copies) Documents will NOT be returned."

Didn't I have to provide that originally? What situation would've changed my status? What possible reason could they have (other than just another way to frustrate the applicant) for that requirement?

So, I not only have to pay an unconstitutional renewel fee, but I have the added expense of providing a Certified copy of my birth certificate?

I think it time we grabbed these folks by the short hairs and woke 'em up.

Post imported post

I haven't had to renew you but I'm presuming that if one renews in person the documents won't be retained by the state. Am I wrong?

I presented my birth certificate originally and I still have it. Have they changed the requirements?

It seems to me that having a valid HCP should be enough to facilitate renewal. Anything more would be burdensome. Can our lawmakers help?

Post imported post

Just go to the DMV and they will take a look at your original birth certificate and make their own copy. This should be a one time thing since their were some problems with some other renewals. Maybe fallguy will chime in and explain more since I can't remember the exact reason right nowfor proof of citizenship again.

Post imported post

Originally you showed your birth certificate for proof of age. However I guess there must be other forms that you could have done this with since they want it again for this purpose.

The law changed in 2005 requiring you to show proof of US citizenship or lawful permanent residency to get or renew a HCP. There is a list of documents you can do that with.

Despite what the renewal form and websitesays I have heard of people mailing in their birth certificate and getting it back.

I renewed mine a couple of weeks ago by going into a DL station and steamnsteel is right, they just looked at it, made a copy and said I wouldn't have to show it again, for this purpose.

Granted it is bit of hassle, but figure most people have their birth certificate, if not you probably should.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

Thanks, steamnsteel and fallguy.

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

Had to show mine last month. It has to be original. She made a copy and also a new picture. Told me if I mailed it in that they wouldn't return any documents that I sent in.

Post imported post

My renewal is coming up. We'll see how it goes. I used my passport for the original. (I just had to show it, not actually give it to them.)

Banned

Post imported post

I just renewed mine again. I went down to the dmv and had to fill out the papers and show my ID and my stamped certificate of live birth. Then they told me I had to fill out a 10 year history of everywhere I have had a license to drive. I refused and they said I couldn't renew the HCP. I made a few calls and turns out to get a HCP there is no requirement to fill out this 10 year driving license histiry form. I went back to the DMV a couple days later and they didn't mention the 10 year history, but one of the supervisors scowled at me.

Post imported post

AFAIK you don't even have to have a DL to get a HCP. So not sure why driving history would be relevant.

You do have list your places of residence for the last 5 years.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Banned

Post imported post

FWIW this was not for the 5 year resident history. That was a seperate form I did fill out on the back side of the front page of the HCP application/renewal form. Also, the five year history part is not included in the photocopied renewal form they send out to people to remind them they need to renew their carry permit.

I know a driver license is not needed to have a HCP which is why I asked them why they needed the ten year history. I have a full blown CDL and apparently the Dept. of Safety needs CDL holders to update their 10 year histories. When they asked for the info I told them I was not there to conduct any transaction involving my driver license. I was only there for one purpose and that purpose was to renew my HCP. They said they could not renew the HCP unless I filled out the 10 year history. I asked to speak with the manager and she said they could not proceed unless I filled out the 10 year history. That is why I called both the CDL and Handgun depts of the Dept of Safety when I got home and raised holy hell. What happened in the DMV was documented in the computer system. The lady left a note on my profile or something saying I refused to give them a ten year history. I left my number with one of the ladies at the CDL help line and she got back to me and apologized for what had happened and told me the people at the DMV were wrong and if went back they would no longer need the 10 year history. I told themif they need the 10 yr history send it to me in the mail or I'll fill it out whenI renew my driverlicensein 2012.

You can't let those people get away with crap like that. Wasn't it last year they were trying to record the serial numbers of handguns used to qualify to get the certification for the HCP?