• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

KPBS interviews!

pullnshoot25

imported post

Hey guys, just letting you all know that if KPBS contacts ANYONE on this board about doing an interview that they are to stand down, at least until further notice. Obviously, I can't make anyone refuse an interview but KPBS is actively looking to conduct a hack job on open carry and they are going to do it any way they can.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
Hey guys, just letting you all know that if KPBS contacts ANYONE on this board about doing an interview that they are to stand down, at least until further notice. Obviously, I can't make anyone refuse an interview but KPBS is actively looking to conduct a hack job on open carry and they are going to do it any way they can.

Thank you for the alert.

No offense, but standing down would not be the best solution.

I agree, do not participate in the interviews.

But gear up to counter-attack.

Get started on the letters to the editor, letters to the station manager, and so forth.

No reason not to begin assembling a list of previous hatchet-jobs they've done, pulling a few verifiably wrong pieces of information from their history of hatchet jobs.

Maybe get a videographer or a good amatuer to do a few counter-interviews with OCer's to make a counter-attack video that splicesKPBS lies, distortions, and slant with real OCers for upload to YouTube, etc., etc.

Its a public relations image game/war. The solution is to hit back with truth, hard enough to deter them or anyone else from doing it again.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Let me quote pullnshoot25's blog:

In other news, KPBS won't agree to the terms of the interview, as Amita's editor, Alan, does not see how a range trip could make Amita more knowledgeable about gun laws than an interview at Starbucks, this coming from a man that said essentially admitted that revolvers are "assault weapons". I believe that KPBS was just looking to do a hack job on OC and I am putting the word out there on OCDO and CG to tell people to stand down on any interviews with them, at least until further notice.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Sounds to me like the editor is very biased against our civil right to keep/bear arms in the first place. It also sounds like he tells his reporters when to jump, and how high. Not a good way to get publicity.

pullnshoot25

imported post

That or just willfully ignorant of everything. The editor was quite resistant to the idea of the shooting range, as he said we were "proselytizing" the reporter, which is not the intent whatsoever. All that I want (what WE want) is the truth.

Ironically enough, Sam and the editor are supposed to sit down for beer some day soon so that should prove interesting.

Edward Peruta

imported post

I've hesitated to comment on the topic of KPBS and whether or not any interviews should be given, but feel that I must chime in.

As a journalist, I would NEVER agree to any preconditions demanded by someone I planned to interview.

Consider the fact that the First Amendment is as important to a journalist as the Second Amendment is to those of us that are fighting for the right to keep and bear arms. We all have personal opinions even journalists.

I personally met with the editor and reporter at KPBS on the topic of denials regarding CCW permits in San Diego, and had a very warm and informative interchange on the topic of CCWs in San Diego.

When asked it I represented the open carry movement here in San Diego, I had to say that I did not, because I don't. I am and have been a defender of rights, this just happens to be a right involving firearms.

I have been an active member of the News Media owning my own News and Information Service for over 25 years.

I've faught many battles with injustice and have a pretty good track record to present when anyone cares to look.

I for one am almost never without a tape recorder, video or still camera in my possession.

Reporters and Editors are usually parinoid about reporting accurate facts, and constantly deal with beingconstricted by time. They alsoget very upset when most of thereinterviews end up on the editing room floor.

Theoppurtunity that may have been missed to present a validpostion througn the use of the mass media is a truely missed oppurtunity.

The best friend of the open carry movement will be members of the public who don't carry openly or carry at all, because they outnumber those that do, and are the ones who have the ability to takeshots in the voting booths at election time.

Please do not think that I am notbehind what you are doing.I support you and your movement 100%, but realize, that I have nowmade a substantial investment in correcting what I consider to be an extremely out of control system here in San Diego.

And if the need presents itself, I will carry openly and proudly regardless of the legal or financial costs.

Thank god I married a woman of wealthwho understands why I do what I do and has always supported me when injustice knocked on my door.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Perhaps they might consider doing some interviews here in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, where loaded open carry is not only legal, but is also essentially a non-issue. Nope, no blood running in the streets, no old ladies leaving puddles on the sidewalks, no shoot-outs in mall parking lots. I even carried at Borough Council meetings, and I was the Borough Council President. Oh, the Pennsylvania State Police is even reminding local police officers throughout the Commonwealth at the mandatory annual training that open carry is legal and is not grounds for a Terry stop.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:

refrain from interacting with press? always a bad idea - we always win with publicity.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Perhaps in other places like Virginia, but the media here chooses to sensationalize every non-liberal subject.

I have even heard news media referring to a person as a knucklehead simply because he legally stopped at LAX with firearms in his truck.

It is legal, but they vilified the man without any real facts. Police rolled out the guns and ammo and all told found some small technicality to charge the person. Did the media correct itself? Apologize? No.

I have no faith in media, especially KPBS.

pullnshoot25

imported post

Theseus wrote:
Perhaps in other places like Virginia, but the media here chooses to sensationalize every non-liberal subject.

I have even heard news media referring to a person as a knucklehead simply because he legally stopped at LAX with firearms in his truck.

It is legal, but they vilified the man without any real facts. Police rolled out the guns and ammo and all told found some small technicality to charge the person. Did the media correct itself? Apologize? No.

I have no faith in media, especially KPBS.
Especially when the editor (Alan) said that my attempts to educate his underling was an attempt to "proselytize" her. This, coming from a man that told me a revolver is an assault weapon and attempted to jeer at me over the phone for carrying an unloaded gun. Truly, cutting edge stuff.

Edward Peruta

imported post

To: Pullnshoot25

I've tried to refrain from bashing the Southern California media and believe that it is not going to work in favor of those that choose to opencarry legally.

To be fair, to everyone involved, it might be helpful to list the demands that were made as conditions to granting an on the record interview with the KPBS reporter or editor.

I've told youand posted the fact that I met with the KPBS News Editor and the reporter, and believe that they are ready and willing to listen and would do a fair and balanced story if supplied with facts and circumstances of a widespread nature.

Right now the country is counting the number of people killed by individuals with firearms, and we as believers in the 2nd amendment need to realize that public opinion can go either way.

I for one don't like what I'm reading, hearing or seeing in the news, but life goes on.

I'm pointing out to anyone who asked a few simple facts:

New York has some of the most restrictive firearms laws in the nation.

Nobody that was killed or assaulted waslicensed to beararms in their own defense.

I've been in law enforcement an still have many friends who are still on the job.

I currently possess media credentials and work on a regular basis with other more established members of the media and will in the future, deal with the San Diego Police Departments media guidelines where they think they have the right to regulate who is and is not the media. Been there and done that in the past, it's just a matter of time before I get to them.

Right now I'm concentrating on a CCW denial and the failure to recognize the course of instruction submitted to the Sheriff's Department for approval.

I am certified as a firearms instructor and permits to carry from several jurisdictions.

I am currently involved because it is a matter of rights that just happen to involved firearms.

I've now invested what most individuals would consider a considerable amount of personalfinancial resources to file one or more civil actions in San Diego, and will live with whateverdecisions are generated by the pending civil actions.

Public officials take advantage of citizens that don't have the time or financial resources to challengeincorrect decisions, and don't like to admit they are wrong.

In many situations itthe'MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY' mentality that prevails with government officials.

I'm notnew to this game, I'mjust playing on a different field.

To be fair, please post exactlywhat you demanded from the KPBS reporter soeveryone who reads this message board canjudgethesituationwith ALL thefacts.

You know how to reach me.

Ed Peruta

American New and Information Services

P.S.

To:

All the law enforcement intelligence personnel that monitor this board, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY FORSANDIEGO COUNTY OR HIS UNDERLINGS.

THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND SAYING,AND ASK YOURSELF WHY.