• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dual-Purpose 1911 Holster

hightecrebel

imported post

Does anyone know where I can get a decent holster for a 1911 that's under $100 and I can use for both OC and CC? I'm a Maine State resident, so I OC when possible, but I'm in the Air Force so I get stationed places where I can't OC. I have a surplus leather holster from the 60's that I like for OC, but I'd like to have one I can swap out when neccessary.

FogRider

imported post

Serpa can technically be concealed, but I've found that it sets to low and sticks to far out to be covered by anything but a large jacket. It can be done, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

ODA 226

imported post

FogRider wrote:
Serpa can technically be concealed, but I've found that it sets to low and sticks to far out to be covered by anything but a large jacket. It can be done, but it wouldn't be my first choice.
So my brother, what would be your first choice? Besides a deep concealment holster, if they exist for a full sized 1911,maybe an impracticle IWB for a full sized Colt,what would you choose? I carry a Micro-.45 Springfield in a cut-down SERPA paddle 3 inch everyday. It serves me fine. How about you?

Spectre

imported post

For both concealment and OC, I find that leather pancakes are best. They are close to the body so it's easy to throw a short over the holster, and the holster is also on the outside of the pants so its just as easy to tuck the shirt in for OC.

Safariland, Tucker Gun Leather, Don Hume, Gould and Goodrich, Dutyman, and Bianchi make leather pancakes for less then $100

FogRider

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
So my brother, what would be your first choice? Besides a deep concealment holster, if they exist for a full sized 1911,maybe an impracticle IWB for a full sized Colt,what would you choose? I carry a Micro-.45 Springfield in a cut-down SERPA paddle 3 inch everyday. It serves me fine. How about you?
Sorry, forgot to add that part. If I think it's likely that I'll need/want to conceal I have a Galco leather holster (Fletch model) that tends to hold it a little closer to my side and a bit higher, so I don't need as long of an outer layer to cover it.

I'm not saying a Serpa can't be used for CC, just that in my personal experience I have a holster that works better.

YMMV

Edit:
I just saw that you say you carry a Micro, which is going to easier to conceal. I've got the full size GI with the 5" barrel, and those extra 2" make more of a difference than you might think when it comes to having your shirt cover it.

hightecrebel

imported post

Thanks guys. I think I'll be going with the Galco. It'll work for both pretty easily until I can afford dedicated holsters for CC and OC. I really wish OK was OC. Oh, and since I didn't mention it before I have a full-size GI-spec1911A1 from High Standard. It's cheap, but it goes bang when I want it to and doesn't if I don't.

Border Bob

imported post

Sportsman's Guide has a military style for under $70 and several other good leather 1911 holsters for around $40.

I've read posts from others about the flap of the military style being considered "concealed" because the pistol is not visible. Any other info on that?

By the way, what would a reasonable person consider a holster to carry? Lunch? Oprah's book of the month?

GetA2J

imported post

Ihave the following holster and it works great as a cc holster as long as I have my shirt untucked. But when I want to OC I simply tuck in my shirt and it still looks great. It holds my 1911 close enough that it does not print at all. Mine is black. I think I prefer that because when i want it concealed tan would show under my shirt (while stretching) moreso than the black.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=3555&GunID=210

thnycav

imported post

Border Bob wrote:
Sportsman's Guide has a military style for under $70 and several other good leather 1911 holsters for around $40.

I've read posts from others about the flap of the military style being considered "concealed" because the pistol is not visible. Any other info on that?

By the way, what would a reasonable person consider a holster to carry? Lunch? Oprah's book of the month?

I carry in a military flap holster. I have talked to many LEOs about it and just as long as they can see the holster it is ok. They do not have to see the weapon itself.

I get more comments about the Yankee Cavalry uniform here in VA.

Marco

imported post

Check out G-code.
http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/GCODEBELT/GCODE_Kydex_Holster.html

I have carry a G-20 w/ 6"barrel both openly and conceal with this rig.

IMO, The G-code works great as a dual purpose holster if you don't mind changing attachments (iwb/belt or paddle) via screws.

There is a pic somewhere (VA section)on here with me OC'ing with the IWB.

The holster is quality, the IWB attachment is nylon but sturdy.

If you order a G-code and are left handed let me know, I have an extra IWB attachment that is new (they sent two by mistake).

The OWB belt attachment kicks the grip out (slighty) to allow for a better gripit is designed for astraight draw and is adjustable for height.

I don'thave the paddle attachments,I can't comment on them.

I wouldhave ordered another for my G35 but the holster would leave part of the slide exposed, which might cause the sights to hang up or gouge me.:(
On my G20 only the barrel is extended so no worries.