• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shotgun/Rifle Racks

In my vehicle, I have a shotgun/rifle rack:

• ..that stays occupied 24/7

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ..that i only use for camping

• ..I keep 'em on the backseat

• ..that is occupied, until i park for the night

• ..I do not have a gun rack in my vehicle

• ..I would never want to own something like that

• Total voters

scorpioajr

imported post

Just trying to figure out where I stand with the rest of ya'll, see if I'm the odd ball or not.

I have a shotgun in my truck window, and have kept it there for some time now. A 'buddy' mentioned that this was probably not the smartest thing to do as vehicle break-ins are on the rise.

scorpioajr

imported post

thoughtpolice wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
Just trying to figure out where I stand with the rest of ya'll, see if I'm the odd ball or not.

I have a shotgun in my truck window, and have kept it there for some time now. A 'buddy' mentioned that this was probably not the smartest thing to do as vehicle break-ins are on the rise.
Smart buddy, probably get some sort of LOCKING gun rack, you know, so if someone breaks in they still have to defeat the lock. Most crooks are looking for an easy score, and since youve so masterfully displayed it, you are a prime target for dumbass gangbangers....just my thoughts. They have cool electronic locking devices that use a switch and pops it open for immediate access. Or you can be a victim, I dont care.:p:p:p
Thank you for the input; i think. :D So, you don't think a nice dark tint would solve that?? If it can't be seen, it's not. Agree?

thx997303

imported post

Holy dog shnit, I agree with thoughtpolice!

Yeah, your best bet would be lock it up if you are going to keep it in your back window.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

ProtectedBy9mm wrote:

I think the vulgar and insulting "banter" between thought police and others is a major distraction to this site. I can only imagine how such language and antics are going to look when printed in some newspaper article about how stupid gun nuts are. And I generally think it rude and bad form to hang out in any club the very purposes of which you very much dislike.

And so it is with great pain that I have to agree with him here.

I think it phenomenally foolish and downright irresponsible to leave a gun where anyone with a rock can steal it. Indeed, it is such gross negligence that gives power to the hoplophobes who call for mandatory safe storage laws.

It is one thing to leave it well out of sight so at least it is not a draw to those looking to steal a gun. Behind the seat or even in a gun sleeve built into the front of a seat cover (so it rides behind your calves) at least means it will only be stolen by someone who breaks in to grab something else.

But to leave it in a back window in any community where you are not perfectly comfortable leaving your keys in the ignition while the truck is unattended is really foolish, downright negligent in my opinion.

There are legal limits on tint in Utah. And the darkest legal tint will NOT keep someone from seeing a gun in the back window. Especially not if they look in through the windshield.

Put a lock on it, and then be contend to replace broken windows from idiots who see the gun but not the lock.

Or, stash it behind the seat or elsewhere out of sight. With a long gun in the cab of a pickup, it is pretty easy to make the case that it is NOT ready for immediate use and so is not illegally concealed even if it out of sight and you don't have a permit. Heck, drop the gun rack down from the window to below the seat.

Best yet if you want to leave a gun in the truck 24/7, get a lock and mount the whole thing out of sight.

Charles

thx997303

imported post

I do believe I am done with your crap.

All I have seen from you are personal attacks and arguments for the sake of pissing others off.

I think the worst offenase is when you insult someone who isnt even involved in the discussion at all.

You have painted many perfectly responsible upright citizens, who happen to OC, essentially as irresponsible gun nuts.

Ok, we get it, you don't think THX should OC, because he's an irresponsible person who does nothing but make assumptions.

Fine! Now stop saying it and contribute to meaningful discussion, or leave.

I sure wont miss you. And I will not be responding to any of your posts until they are not unending personal attacks on the members here.

On topic, I personally keep my rifles in the trunk of my car when they are in there and unattended. When they are in my truck, they are behind the seat. I only use a gun rack when I am going hunting, and thats only till I get to the camp site, because I have so much crap, that there's no room anywhere else.

EDIT: I guess I should change my vote to, I only use it for camping.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

thoughtpolice wrote:

Yeah, because the swearing, name calling, telling anyone who disagrees they are a troll, heavy-handedness of any who dares step out of line etc isnt.:uhoh:

MayI add the ones who whine anytime anyone asks them to respect THEIR property rights? How about the 18 pages of COW bull@#$% that THX started. Yeah, Im bringing this site down single handedly. The only ones bringing down the OC movement are the few bad OCing apples, trust me, it isnt me or any other responsible gun owner.
1-I've made clear that I think those who are routinely having problems OCing need to examine themselves to see what they are doing wrong, since most of us can OC most places without any fuss.

2-ANYONE engaging in vulgarities, name calling, etc is doing this site a disservice in my opinion. And I don't think a cutesy emoticon somehow makes such language appropriate or acceptable. You got called out specifically on this one because you had posted and so it was a convenient place for me to note my feelings on your preferred style. I will be making similar comments to others as occasion permits.

3-I've also been pretty clear about the need to respect private property. However, I recognize the argument about business property open to the public or other "places of accommodation." I strongly supported SB 78 (parking lot preemption) this year--and have for several years--because I believe it strikes a better balance between competing rights than does the current situation.

4-There is a marked difference between vigorous, even heated disagreement, and manifesting an inability or unwillingness to even attempt mature, civil communications.

5-I think it is the height of cowardice to say or do things anonymously that you would be unwilling to do in person, or to sign your name to. There are RARE times when anonymity is required, or even noble.

6-I think it is rude to hang out with people you don't like, whose conduct you don't like, just to antagonize them.

Now, you may choose to respond in a civil, mature manner, or not. Your choice will speak volumes about you.

Charles

MuellerBadener

imported post

Though I no longer own a truck,:cuss:whenI did, I would not even have an empty rack in it. It just advertises that I have something worth stealing, whether it is in my truck or my home. Aside from my carry piece, I try to keep my other firearms out of public veiw all together, trying to not even let my neighbors know what I have. Just seems like the smarter side of security to me.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

thoughtpolice wrote:
1-I agree with

2-I dont agree with you, but hey, Im allowed my opinion.

3-I agee with

4-I have attempted to be civil, and I have attempted to be a dick. Each is made to illicit a response, there is a whole slew of psychology behind my wording. I see to the heart of the person posting. But, again, I disagree with you.

5-Id say these things to your face, or anyone else on this board if the opportunity arose, but this is the forum Im in. I agree with you.

6-I "like" many of you, good guys AND galswith families, jobs, hopes, dreams, failures, etc. Its the sensationalists the bother me. So I will continue to hang out.

Hows that?
While you may have attempted to be civil, you have certainly succeeded in being grossly offensive, immature, insulting, demeaning, etc. I highly doubt there is any "psychology" behind your posts other than to annoy people you've decided you don't like.

I doubt you'd say such things in public, and if you would, you're as much a problem as those you call "sensationalists." For better or worse, those who choose to ID themselves as gun owners (either by OCing, or posting to a publicly readable comment board) contribute to the total image of all gun owners. A gun owner who resorts to vulgarities, profanities, personal insults, schoolyard taunts, or other uncivil discourse provides fodder to those who attack our rights.

And as bad as Thx or anyone else's run in with the police or store managers might be, they tend to be temporary events and rarely make the media. Your comments here, and the comments of those who think it funny or entertaining or appropriate to try to match your gutter style will be hanging around basically forever. Every college kid doing a researc paper can find and read them. Every reporter looking for fodder for his story can find and read them.

And I'd suggest that such language and tactics violate two of the basic rules of the forum:

[font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"]3) Keep the profanity to a minimum - and then, after you find yourselves using it, go back after you have reflected and edit it out, especially those F-Bombs! Though this area of the web site is a bit of free speech area, the threads necessarily reflect upon the open carry movement as the press and general public do read our postings. Please go back and search your posts and edit out those F-bombs, thanks![/font]

[font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"] 5) While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, sex, or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer).
[/font]
What I am doing here is politely asking you to please tone back the personal attacks, the vulgarities, and profanities.

Will you please honor that request?

Thank you.

Charles