• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you open carry shotguns rifles???

raist

imported post

been checking the kansas laws but havent found the one for oc, if you could be a bit more spec. that would be great, ignorance is no defense when it comes to the law, i like to be prepared not incarse i rated hehe. o yeah did u know that the kansas law for carrying a gun changes when u get on the interstate?

raist

imported post

Pretty sure when u get on the interstate you have to follow federal gun laws , witch would be unloaded and in trunk , if ur veh. doesnt have a trunk , then unloaded and in a locked container, not 100 cent sure but think so.

captainamerica

imported post

I believe the unloaded and locked provision is for anyone operating a motor vehicle in KS without a recognized CCW permit.

raist wrote:
Pretty sure when u get on the interstate you have to follow federal gun laws , witch would be unloaded and in trunk , if ur veh. doesnt have a trunk , then unloaded and in a locked container, not 100 cent sure but think so.

MuellerBadener

imported post

Though I no longer live in kansas, :banghead: for years it was my home. I have been pulled over by State trooper, county sherrifs, and local PD on the interstate on multiple occaisions, (appearently not all the lead is in my ammo!) and never had a LEO with a problem with my OC on an interstate highway. (I am sure it's gotten me out of a lot of ticket though!:lol:)

By your reasoning, any crime on the interstate would be investigated by the FBI and prosecuted in Federal Court. They are technically property of DOD, but appear to have special status in that they are effectively treated as state property until such time as DOD decides to exert authority. (Hopefully never!)

Walleye

imported post

The feds don't get a say in how your weapon is displayed in a specific state; that includes interstate travel. State law trumps federal law in that instance.

If you're talking about vehicle travel, then long arms need to be unloaded with the bolt open. Otherwise, there's no laws against the open carry of long arms in the state.

Usual disclaimer, IANAL, so take the above with a grain of salt.

raist

imported post

i know this has nothing to do with oc but check this out hr875 s425 food safety modernization act, this bill has alot of crap and some good in it but boiled down it will get rid of heritage seeds and make it illigal to have a organic garden along with livestock and such , this bill if passed is the beginning of the end , pass the word.

ace1001

imported post

We have CCH as in handgun, so rifles are not covered by that law. So you are at the mercy of all the civil rights infringers, includnt the Fish and Game. Ace

Jayhawk

imported post

Yeah if you OC a handgun, someone might call the cops. If you OC a rifle... someone WILL call the cops. lol

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

raist wrote:

There is NO federal gun laws that say that your gun has to be unloaded and in your trunk! There might be a state law that applies, but the federal law does not require it.

What you might be thinking of is Title 18 926A
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html

This law does not place any requirements on any individual. What this law DOES do is preempts state law allowing individuals to transport firearms regardless of the laws of the state so long as the individual transporting the firearms does so in accordance with the provisions of this law. So if guns are banned in state B and you live in state A, you can get to state C through state B as long as you transport as provided. But if state B allows anyone to carry on their person, then you can carry on your person.

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

K

KansasScout

imported post

While it is legal to carry long arms, it is highly advisable to have them slinged over your shoulder. Imagine the distress you would cause carrying it at the ready in HyVee? You would be wide open to an arrest for brandishing. That would be the catch 22 on that. If it was in a sling on your shoulder you would be ok. Same same for on the street.

Carry a shotgun down the street in the same manner as hunting and your going to face another shotgun. I would not blame the cops either.

The manner of carry should be non threatening. UNLESS there is a riot going on.

There is a recent news story of a west coast (Arizona?) homeowner who was shot by responding officers when found holding a pistol on an intruder.

This can easily happen. Be careful out there!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

raist wrote:
been checking the kansas laws but havent found the one for oc, if you could be a bit more spec. that would be great, ignorance is no defense when it comes to the law, i like to be prepared not incarse i rated hehe.
Are you thinking about OCing a rifle and/or a shotgun, raist?

If so, why and where?