• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm glad I was carrying today.

LaVere

imported post

As I was pulling up to my usual lunch diner today. I saw a young man exiting rather fast. He started running away and immediately followed by a waitress. I was still in my van and could not hear what she was yelling at him. When I got out I could her her yelling to get back here.

I had on me my Sig P-299 .40SW but I did not see any physical threats. But I was still comfortable I had it. I ask what happened she said he stiffed her with the check.

I asked her do you want me to go after him and she said yes. He was still on foot running fast now. Well I caught up with him about two blocks later as he was getting in to his accomplices car.

I am not a policeman so I became a good witness. I have a digital voice recorder in the van at all times. So I verbally recorded a complete description and all other pertinent information and returned to the dinner.

911 was called, I gave her the info , ate lunch and left. She probably has to make up that ticket from her tips.

End of story.

:D

I'm very glad it was not an armed robbery. I seem like a lot of shooting and robberies have been going on closer to home than ever before. I think times are getting tougher and more robberies are happening. I am more diligent than ever about carrying 24-7 and with back up piece. Police officers are getting lay off by the dozens here.

David in MI

imported post

Nice job. Since I am local, do you mind if I inquire as to the diner you were at? (You can PM me if you don't want to post it here).

Your story reminds me of a story that my Mom used to tell us once ina while. She was a teller at a bank in Owosso that was held up by a MWAG. The man left the branch on foot and my Mom followed him for quite a few blocks until the police caught up to him. She was a great witness, although maybe not so smart for chasing down an armed man who just held up a bank, especially given that she was only 4' 11 and maybe 100 poundsat the time!!

PilotPTK

MOC Charter Member - Shelby Township, Michigan, US
imported post

Glad everyone is ok.. A few bucks fora ticket sucks- but it's a lot better than someone getting hurt..

As for chasing him... I'm glad that worked out as well, and hopefully your description will be of help.. I personaly wouldn't have chased him. If I were forced to defend myself with deadly force, I think it would look pretty bad to a jury that I had started the encounter by giving chase over the cost of a burger..

Stay Safe..
Ben

custom.45acp

imported post

I don't know if I would have gotten involved. If she wasn't tooconcerned enough to follow, I wouldn't be either.

If it goes to court - you willing to give up a day of pay for a hamburger? :shock:

I might consider assisting if it was a felony, but a hamburger?

Good job! We need more good citizens like yourself in this world.

SQLtables

imported post

Good job all around!

It may not have been the SAFEST choice to follow but people standing around, not willing to get involved, is exactly why these people get away with this crap and keep doing it. After they get away with stealing a hamburger, what's next?

Again, great job :)

LaVere

imported post

custom.45acp wrote:
I don't know if I would have gotten involved. If she wasn't tooconcerned enough to follow, I wouldn't be either.

If it goes to court - you willing to give up a day of pay for a hamburger? :shock:

Thank you all for the nice replies.
I have eaten there for many years and I've known the waitress that long also. When I first came up to her I didn't know what had happened. Until after she told me.

It was a judgment call on my part to get involved or not. I chose to, but to only be a witness. I am retired so I loose no pay.

best to you

Dan F.

imported post

LaVere wrote:
custom.45acp wrote:

Thank you all for the nice replies.
I have eaten there for many years and I've known the waitress that long also. When I first came up to her I didn't know what had happened. Until after she told me.

It was a judgment call on my part to get involved or not. I chose to, but to only be a witness. I am retired so I loose no pay.

best to you
You have to make the best choice for you in the moment. Hind sight is always 20:20. Thank you for being a good citizen and providing valuable witness information to the police. It may have been only the cost af an inexpensive meal at a local coney but (to me) it really is the principal.

DanM

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
After they get away with stealing a hamburger, what's next?

I'm in this camp with SQLtables and Dan F. No matter how small,clear violations of core societal principles, suchas this theft,should be confronted and either lawfully stopped or at least information gathered and turned over to law enforcement.

I don't understand the "why did you run after the thief, it was only a burger" group. Being apathetic towardcriminals committing small crimes and letting them get away with it in plain sight leads to nowhere but an incremental move to worse things. Look at some parts of manycities' urban areas as an example. Thinktheir "don't snitch" mentality hasa bigpart to do with their plight? You betcha!

Small crimes, unchecked and not confronted, pave a path to worse things, as certain as clockwork.

LaVere

imported post

DanM wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
After they get away with stealing a hamburger, what's next?

I'm in this camp with SQLtables and Dan F. No matter how small,clear violations of core societal principles, suchas this theft,should be confronted and either lawfully stopped or at least information gathered and turned over to law enforcement.

I don't understand the "why did you run after the thief, it was only a burger" group. Being apathetic towardcriminals committing small crimes and letting them get away with it in plain sight leads to nowhere but an incremental move to worse things. Look at some parts of manycities' urban areas as an example. Thinktheir "don't snitch" mentality hasa bigpart to do with their plight? You betcha!

Small crimes, unchecked and not confronted, pave a path to worse things, as certain as clockwork.
I had breakfast there this morning 4/1/2009. The waitress said they lost $30.00 between the two skip and no pay.

The police know who owns the car, because of the license number. And they will Be On the Lookout. That is about all they can do. ( Note no criticism here on my part please). Maybe if they are picked up in another crime they will attach this one to that.

I'm sure they will leave this store alone now and not be as smug next time. But then maybe it is a badge of honor for them.

dukenukum

imported post

being in business for my self I know for every dollar stolen , lost ect. it takes one thousand to make up for it in sales if the waitress does not pay the company must .
people like this belong in jail .