• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC question

jfar615

imported post

I live in Pittsburgh. My workplace is downtown and my shift is over at 11pm. This is not the best place to be at 11pm. This is why I want to have my gun with me. My problem is that I rely on the bus for transportation (port authority). I could not find anything on their website about carrying of firearms. However, maybe I didn't look good enough. So I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me on this issue. So, is it ok for me to openly carry my weapon on the bus? Can I conceal carry it (havea LTCF)? Or, perhaps, should I just find a new means of transportation?

mjf

imported post

§ 6120. Limitation on the regulation of firearms and ammunition.
  1. General rule. -- No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth. a.1 No right of action. --
    1. No political subdivision may bring or maintain an action at law or in equity against any firearms or ammunition manufacturer, trade association or dealer for damages, abatement, injunctive relief or any other relief or remedy resulting from or relating to either the lawful design or manufacture of firearms or ammunition or the lawful marketing or sale of firearms or ammunition to the public.
    2. Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to prohibit a political subdivision from bringing or maintaining an action against a firearms or ammunition manufacturer or dealer for breach of contract or warranty as to firearms or ammunition purchased by the political subdivision.
  2. Definitions. -- As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection: "Dealer." The term shall include any person engaged in the business of selling at wholesale or retail a firearm or ammunition.
    "Firearms." This term shall have the meaning given to it in section 5515 (relating to prohibiting of paramilitary training) but shall not include air rifles as that term is defined in section 6304 (relating to sale and use of air rifles).
    "Political subdivision." The term shall include any home rule charter municipality, county, city, borough, incorporated town, township or school district.
    (Oct. 18, 1974, P.L.768, No.260, eff. imd.; Dec. 19, 1988, P.L.1275, No.158, eff. 180 days; Oct. 4, 1994, P.L.571, No.84, eff. 60 days; Dec. 15, 1999, P.L.915, No.59, eff. imd.)
    1999 Amendment. Section 9 of Act 59 provided that the amendment of section 6120 shall apply to all actions pending on or brought after the effective date of the amendment of section 6120

jfar615

imported post

Thank you! Very much appreciated! If I have any problems ill report back!

jahwarrior

imported post

you should first find out if the bus company is privately owned before OCing. even though it may be called a "city bus", it may be privately owned, as is the bus company in NYC; the subway is owned by the city, the buses aren't. here in Scranton, the COLTS bus company is privately owned, as well. as such, they can ban the carry of guns as they see fit.

keep us posted.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

jahwarrior72 wrote:
you should first find out if the bus company is privately owned before OCing. even though it may be called a "city bus", it may be privately owned, as is the bus company in NYC; the subway is owned by the city, the buses aren't. here in Scranton, the COLTS bus company is privately owned, as well. as such, they can ban the carry of guns as they see fit.
a. Very few transit companies today are "privately owned."

b. "The bus company in NYC" isa consolidation of private and public "companies". One is the Manhattan & Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority, NYCTA's taking over the operations of the old Surface Transit bus company which operated in Manhattan and The Bronx. Another is the NYCTA (New York City Transit Authority), which always has been, to the best of my knowledge, a city-owned operation. Out in Brooklyn and Queens may be one or two others, but they're probably operated by and for the Metropolitan Transit Authority.

c. In Scranton, the bus operation is the County of Lackawanna Transit System (COLTS). As a county entity, it is not privately owned. And, as a county entity, it is subject to Section 6120(a) preemption.

david.ross

imported post

I spent some time in Pittsburgh last year, I open carried on the bus just fine. Don't be surprised to hear whispers, "he must be a US Marshal" or similar comments. People require self reassurance you're not a bad person when they don't know about an issue. Don't speak unless someone is speaking to you, and relax.

Remember you must have a LTCF or permit from any other state to carry in a vehicle.

Have fun!

Ah, and if you are told, "The fare is on me", take it and leave. ;) If they ask if you're an officer, tell them the truth and smile. Some people are willing to give you free stuff on account good people are carrying and it keeps the bad guys away.

One last comment, make sure your appearance is correct and you're not visibly nervous or alert to where you may draw attention.