• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AB-288 (Castle Doctrine bill) IN JEOPARDY

varminter22

imported post

AB-288 (Castle Doctrine) is in jeopardy of not even receiving a committee hearing to discuss the merits of the bill. AB-288 is a good bill and deserves your support. As introduced, AB-288 states that if you use deadly force and (a) are not the agressor, (b) have a right to be present where you use deadly force, and (c) are not engaged in a criminal act when you use deadly force, then you cannot be sued civilly if (1) there is a presumption that you had a reasonable fear of death or bodily injury to yourself or another person during a burglary or invasion of home, and (2) that presumption is overcome by clear and convincing evidence to the contrary of the civil action. This presumption would be extended to to circumstances in which you were in your vehicle and the agressor was committing grand larceny of your vehicle with the use/threatened use of a deadly weapon. You would then be immune from civil liability.

Please email, write, call or faxand urge a fair hearing of AB-288 in the Assembly Judiciary Committee:

Anderson, Bernie
E-mail Address(es):
banderson@asm.state.nv.us
Chairman, Judiciary Committee

Segerblom, Tick
E-mail Address(es):
rsegerblom@lvcoxmail.com
Vice Chair, Jud Cmte

Carpenter, John
E-mail Address(es):
jcarpenter@asm.state.nv.us

Cobb, Ty
E-mail Address(es):
tcobb@asm.state.nv.us

Dondero Loop, Marilyn
E-mail Address(es):
mdonderoloop@asm.state.nv.us

Gustavson, Don
E-mail Address(es):
dgustavson@asm.state.nv.us

Hambrick, John
E-mail Address(es):
jhambrick@asm.state.nv.us

Horne, William
E-mail Address(es):
whorne@asm.state.nv.us

Kihuen, Ruben
E-mail Address(es):
rkihuen@asm.state.nv.us

Manendo, Mark
E-mail Address(es):
mmanendo@asm.state.nv.us

McArthur, Richard
E-mail Address(es):
rmcarthur@asm.state.nv.us

Mortenson, Harry
E-mail Address(es):
hmortenson@asm.state.nv.us

Ohrenschall, James
E-mail Address(es):
johrenschall@asm.state.nv.us

Parnell, Bonnie
E-mail Address(es):
bparnell@asm.state.nv.us

Text of the bill, as introduced: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/75th2009/Bills/AB/AB288.pdf

AB-288 bill status & history: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/75th2009/Reports/history.cfm?ID=569

Vote/Share your opinion (optionally type a comment): http://www.leg.state.nv.us/75th2009/opinions/Poll/?CFID=1128668&CFTOKEN=10304530

wrightme

imported post

Any of you in Nevada who want this solid Castle Doctrine to even see the floor of the Assembly NEED to call, write, and email your representatives. Assemblyman Anderson will need to be forced to give it a hearing.

varminter22

imported post

Thanks, Mr Wrightme. And thanks to all that took action. We need everyone to do so.

The gloves are off.

It is common knowledge that Assemblyman Bernie Anderson, D-Washoe #31, does NOT like AB-288 and is using his enormous power as Chairman of the Judiciary Committee. He is ignoring his colleagues and constituents and indicates he will not allow the bill to be heard – effectively killing the bill.

What can you do? Exercise your right to communicate with elected representatives! Email, write, call, fax or visit them. Urge them to schedule a fair hearing for AB-288. Key Assemblymen:
Speaker of the Assembly, Barbara Buckley, D-Clark County #8 bbuckley@asm.state.nv.us
Assembly Majority Leader, John Oceguera, D-Clark County #16 joceguera@asm.state.nv.us
Judiciary Committee Chairman, Bernie Anderson, D-Washoe County #31 banderson@asm.state.nv.us
And, of course, contact your elected assemblyman. Urge every assemblyman to fight for a complete and fair hearing of AB-288.

We can still prevail, but we must act in concert.

The deadline for hearing a bill is April 10.

Since AB-288 has not been scheduled for a hearing, NOW is the time to act.

AB-288 is a great bill and right for Nevada. It is co-sponsored by 19 other assemblymen from both political parties. But it will die unless we get involved to ensure it receives a Judiciary Committee hearing. Again, the deadline for hearing bills is April 10, 2009, so please write/call soon!

Loneviking

imported post

My big problem is how do you write to someone like Bernie Anderson and remain civil? It's just a waste of time as his mind is made up, in spite of the comments section for the bill in which all of the comments are for this legislation. I've written to the others on the committee. I have a hunch that Bonnie Parnell is probably against this bill as well. But by all means, encourage everybody you know to write in. It is just amazing to me that one man can stop a bill like this.

varminter22

imported post

Well, it is tough, but one can be "civil" and still get the point across!

I wrote to Bonnie Parnell but have not yet received a reply. I don't know if she likes or dislikes the bill, but I THINK she might be smart enough to realize she has a LOT of constituents that support this bill - and it could affect her 2010 campaign.

I agree - it just doesn't seem right that one man, a committee chairman, has such enormous power.

Silly me, I too thought we elected representatives to listen to constituents and consider/VOTE on legislation. Little did I realize that once a person becomes a committee chairman, he can unconscionably IGNORE his constituents and colleagues.

Bernie may, indeed, have made up his mind. BUT I still encourage EVERYONE to write - not only to Bernie, but especially to the Speaker of the Assembly and the Majority Leader, and the other Judiciary Cmte members. Maybe they can talk some sense into him. Or at least let him know that he is NOT helping their chances of reelection!

Write, email, call, fax - heck, even go visit them. Let them know what ya think!

Gordie

imported post

I tried several times to leave a comment, but each time received an error report.

By my count there are 355 comments, 2 against (one of those actually appears to support the bill), this leaves us with a .0056% opposed.

When you ignore 99.9944% of the population, you have obviously forgotten who you represent and what your job in the legislature is. This will have to be remembered in the next election.

wrightme

imported post

http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/index.php

SFA_Editorial_AB288.jpg

varminter22

imported post

Time is short. Ifnot heard by the Jud Cmte by April 10, AB-288 will die.

If you haven't already done so, please contact legislators (as noted above) and URGE them to get AB-288 heard by the Jud Cmte!

varminter22

imported post

My letter appeared in the Lahontan Valley News entitled "NEED TO TAKE ACTION": www.lahontanvalleynews.com/article/20090331/NEWS/903319971/1020/NONE&parentprofile=1048&title=Letters%20to%20the%20editor

In a shortened version (some papers impose a 200 word limit) it also went out to a bunch of other Nevada newspapers. If you see it, please let me know as I won't see most other papers.

Thanks.

Time is really short now. The deadline for hearing AB-288 is April 10. I hope everyone has (and continues) flooded legislators' email inboxes with requests!