• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Inside waistband open carry

storm22

imported post

Hello all, my names is Tyler, im new to this forum. i used to work in corrections so this is why i choose to carry. im also wanting to finsih college to go into LE. I was raised by a retired patrol seargent from here in western KY. ok heres some questions.

1. Is a Inside waistband holster considered concealed if the gun is between hip and small of back, but shirt is tucked in behind holster where you can visibly see the hammer, slide and grip?

2. Is Open carry allowed in general retail stores? (IE Wal Mart, malls etc)

3. I carry a full size 1911 govt model. any holster suggestions for comfortable carry?

Thanks for all your answers ahead of time!

Storm

chris in va

imported post

#2, yes it's legal provided they don't have it posted 'no guns'. Even then it's a trespassing charge only if you refuse to leave.

I would highly recommend you get something a little more prominent for OC though, also with some sort of retention.

MgoBlue

imported post

Tyler,

My understanding is that an IWB holster is concealed carry -- even if your shirt does not cover the upper part of the holster. The reason for this? Your pants are covering the bottom portion of the weapon/holster.

Welcome to the forum!

Reg

Statesman

imported post

Tyler,

My two cents, worth what you paid for it.

Concealed can be interpreted differently by others, that may or may not have an agenda (i.e. anti-OC). I speculate that some officers who are anti-OC, and believe you should have permission from the King to carry a gun (i.e. license), would consider an accidental shirt fold over top of the hammer of a 1911 "concealed" and would try to charge you with carrying without a license.

While many people don't have this problem in these forums, and rightfully so, just be aware of the possibility this could happen, and make sure that NOTHING is concealing ANY part of the gun. I believe I have heard of at least one case of this happening in KY by someone on this forum.

MgoBlue

imported post

Thus, go ahead and obtain your CDWL (if you are able to). That way, you can open carry here in Kentucky, and . . . if unintentionally found to be concealing, you will be covered.

Reg

Statesman

imported post

What really irked me when I went downtown (Fayette) to obtain my permission to conceal carry license from the King's administrators. The lady at the Sherrif's office window asked me if I was there for a "gun permit". I responded, "No, I need an application for concealed carry." She said nothing and handed me the form.

:cuss: