• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Democratic Candidates for Governor

Chuckles

imported post

The subject may have turned you off, but hear me out.

If you have been paying any attention to this, the Dem side has Creigh Deeds, Terry McAuliffe, and James Moran and GOP has Robert McDonnell running un-opposed.

With the way state-wide elections have turned out in recent years, it wouldn't surprise me if a Dem takes the governor's office again next year.

However, Deeds is a rural guy, very strong on 2A. I am thinking about going out and voting in the Dem's primary (June 9, I believe) for him. (VA does not require party registration for voting in primaries.) If we get a Dem in Richmond, might as well be a pro-gun dude.

Good idea, bad idea?

Chaingun81

imported post

Chuckles wrote:
The subject may have turned you off, but hear me out.

If you have been paying any attention to this, the Dem side has Creigh Deeds, Terry McAuliffe, and James Moran and GOP has Robert McDonnell running un-opposed.

With the way state-wide elections have turned out in recent years, it wouldn't surprise me if a Dem takes the governor's office again next year.

However, Deeds is a rural guy, very strong on 2A. I am thinking about going out and voting in the Dem's primary (June 9, I believe) for him. (VA does not require party registration for voting in primaries.) If we get a Dem in Richmond, might as well be a pro-gun dude.

Good idea, bad idea?
Sounds good to me. I cannot vote, but i'd do that if i could. Just like i'd vote for Hillary in dem primaries last year to make sure the One stays in Stalinnois where he belongs. If you can't get a good guy in, at least keep the worst ones away, right?

AtackDuck

imported post

While Deeds is not a flaming anti-gunner, he is far from a ardent supporter. A check of his votes on the gun legislation for this year (and those past) will show where his true allegiance lies. He is a 'sporting purposes' kind of politician, trying to play both sides of the fence. He votedfor SB1035 (restaurant carry) then voted for SB1257 (background checks at gunshows). No thanks.

Chaingun81

imported post

AtackDuck wrote:
While Deeds is not a flaming anti-gunner, he is far from a ardent supporter. A check of his votes on the gun legislation for this year (and those past) will show where his true allegiance lies. He is a 'sporting purposes' kind of politician, trying to play both sides of the fence. He votedfor SB1035 (restaurant carry) then voted for SB1257 (background checks at gunshows). No thanks.
All things considered, background checks at gunshows is probably the least of our problems. I think Nobama's plans are much much worse for our rights... Again, he was'nt talking about supporting him in general elections, just in primaries so even if he wins the general race it's not too bad...

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
All things considered, background checks at gunshows is probably the least of our problems. I think Nobama's plans are much much worse for our rights... Again, he was'nt talking about supporting him in general elections, just in primaries so even if he wins the general race it's not too bad...
Be careful of Democrats who are too closely aligned with the President.

Not because they're Democrats.

The way party politics works, if you're elected, you're expected to toe the line for the party's dear leader, even if it alienates your voters. Since our governor doesn't have to fight a reelection fight, there's no incentive for him/her not to follow along.

I suspect that was a big part of Timmy's veto of the restaurant ban repeal last year; he had to be strong enough for Obama. Remains to be seen how that plays out this year.

Many partisan players get caught up this way -- with more concern for the Party than their constituents.

rebfan

imported post

Does the name Chap! ring a bell? He supposedly was a pro gun Dem, but now that he is in office he has not really be so gun friendly.

Sure Deeds has given some lip service to being pro gun, he is after all not living in NOVA, and he has from time to time voted for some gun rights. However, you can bet that if elected, he will be just like timmy and mark.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

rebfan wrote:
Does the name Chap! ring a bell? He supposedly was a pro gun Dem, but now that he is in office he has not really be so gun friendly.

Sure Deeds has given some lip service to being pro gun, he is after all not living in NOVA, and he has from time to time voted for some gun rights. However, you can bet that if elected, he will be just like timmy and mark.

Lip service is about all Deeds has given the gun lobby. I can't even imagine giving him any support. This is going to be an interesting election anyway. Obama is tripping over his ....umm, tongue :lol: every day.

My guess is that by election time, he will be so deep in economy problems and over regulation, the Dem candidates will be shaking him off like fleas on a dog.

I'm betting on McDonnell and Cuccinelli being the big winners in Va. and the best friends we have in Virginia for the next term.

Now if Barney Frank would just get AIDS and go away........:p

Chuckles

imported post

Let's not get off-track here. My point was and still is:
IF we were unfortunate enough to get another Dem as governor next year, I would MUCH prefer Deeds over Moran and certainly McAuliffe.

Together we might be able to do something and so that McAuliffe doesn't even get a shot at general election.

Can we at least agree on that?

Bulldog1967

imported post

Chuckles wrote:
IF we were unfortunate enough to get another Dem as governor next year, I would MUCH prefer Deeds over Moran and certainly McAuliffe.

Together we might be able to do something and so that McAuliffe doesn't even get a shot at general election.

I don't know, if you are already PLANNING on placing second place.......

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

Chuckles wrote:

Since my party isn't running anyone hopefuly an (I) worth while will run. I can't vote for an anti gunner who looks in peoples bedrooms.

Chuckles

imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
Chuckles wrote:

Since my party isn't running anyone hopefuly an (I) worth while will run. I can't vote for an anti gunner who looks in peoples bedrooms.

No, it's not conceding defeating, it's strategy. If you could help pick an opponents, why not pick the weaker one to face off.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

Chuckles wrote:
GLENGLOCKER wrote:
Chuckles wrote:

No, it's not conceding defeating, it's strategy. If you could help pick an opponents, why not pick the weaker one to face off.
It's a great strategy, however does it matter if all the candidates are bad?

richarcm

imported post

I'm so sick of hearing about Dems who are so "supportive" of the 2A later F over the 2A.

I think its all a disquise. After what Kaine has done and how insane the Dems are in Washington...its REALLY hard for me to trust even most REPUBLICANS to do anything to strengthen our right to carry.

Gun rights people REALLY need to learn that Democrats, although progun as individuals, will always be anti-gun as elected officials. In order to keep their jobs they will do whatever the party leaders tell them to do. Meanwhile they are also being told by their party leaders to do and say whatever is necessary to win over their states. Pelosi told the Democrats to do and say whatever is necessary to win their states....no matter how conservative....but that they would answer to her once elected. Its all a mind game and SO many nieve gun owners fall for it.

richarcm

imported post

Chuckles wrote:
GLENGLOCKER wrote:
Chuckles wrote:

Remember when Hillary was "The One" and everyone else, including Obama has NO CHANCE to win the Presidency? Hillary had it all but locked up and all of the energy of the right was in convincing people to vote for "Anyone But Hillary". Well we won! We kept Hillary out! But we got someone who we thought at the time was the lesser of the evils. BOY WERE WE WRONG!

Don't play that game. Go for broke! Support your party! Support your beliefs! This is the only way we will ever get what we want. HOWEVER, if the time comes to throw your support behind another McCain or someone you don't particularly care for....SUPPORT HIM/HER ANYWAYS. Put aside your too cool for school libertarian attitudes and help the country out. We could have used a lot more of the support of the "I'll never vote for McCain" people. Now look where we are!!!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

richarcm wrote:
Don't play that game. Go for broke! Support your party! Support your beliefs! This is the only way we will ever get what we want. HOWEVER, if the time comes to throw your support behind another McCain or someone you don't particularly care for....SUPPORT HIM/HER ANYWAYS. Put aside your too cool for school libertarian attitudes and help the country out. We could have used a lot more of the support of the "I'll never vote for McCain" people. Now look where we are!!!
And those of us who don't have a party will vote for whomever we believe will best serve America.

Spectre

imported post

Does it really matter? History shows that most if not all are ultimately all sales men that care for nothing more than furthering their own agenda. They lie, and sell you to a certain point then when they get to that point they could care less of what you think so long as they keep raking in the cash.

richarcm

imported post

Tess wrote:
richarcm wrote:
And those of us who don't have a party will vote for whomever we believe will best serve America.

That's what I'm saying except that u do have to balance who you want to win and who is most capable of beating the next Obama. If the left continues to faithfully stand behind their strongest candidate and everyone else continues to hem and haw about who the strongest candidate is and continue to fragment our votes....we will continue to lose every single time. This is why I was so upset during the elections. Cuz I knew that THIS would be the result. Well now we have to hope and pray that our guns don't get banned or possibly even confiscated as they did during Katrina.

Vote for who you wish.....but remember that Democrats will be Democrats and voting for the little guy, although maybe ideal, doesn't do much but help the anti-gunner win the elections.