• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

soon-to-be new in Bowling Green area

GarandFan

imported post

It seems I will be moving to the Bowling Green area this coming summer. I will be coming from the Chicago area. I would very much appreciate knowing about area gun shops, gun shows, and shooting opportunities (eg. IDPA and IPSC matches, 3-gun, tactical matches, etc.). Also, I would appreciate knowing where folks go to shoot in the area. I know about Green River Gun Club northwest of town. Is that the only range nearby?

Many thanks in advance!

PS: How common is open-carry in Bowling Green area? I have spent a total of 6 days out and about there in the last couple months, and have seen no one open-carrying. I was conceal-carrying a Glock 27, on a Utah license.

fox689

imported post

Other than friends, I've actually never seen anyone open carry in the area. No one looks down on it though from what I've seen.

Green River is the only place in the Bowling Green area I know of and it's a Gun Club, which means membership or friend with membership to get in. They sponsor weekend competitions, but I'm not sure how that works.

Sherwood Guns is a great place to get firearms but he specializes in handguns and doesn't keep store hours. Most of his contact is through phone until pickup with the standard instant background check unless you have a CCWL.

Just a block from him is Guns'n'More on Nashville Rd, but the owner charges about $100 over market for all firearms. And lately he's overcharging for ammo too. Decent selection of accessories though if you want to check it out.

There are a couple of pawn shops that deal with firearms, but I don't know much about them. There is Gander Mountain as well, but again they overcharge on most things and require trigger locks placed on your firearms (provided) while in the store if you don't have a CCWL.

I'm not aware of any local gun shows. Most of the shop owners around here head to Louisville and Lexington to sell at shows.

Also, if you ever want to go shooting with others, PM me for my phone number and I can set something up.

chris in va

imported post

Block off the 3,4 or 5th of April and come up for the Knob Creek machine gun shoot. This'll be my first time, but I've heard it's crazy. Bring lots of money if you'd like to shoot one.

GarandFan

imported post

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I have a question about firearms in motor vehicle.

Is it lawful to carry a loaded, uncased rifle or shotgun in one's vehicle? Note I understand the definition of "loaded" per Kentucky statutes.

Given I have a concealed carry license?

Given I do not have a concealed carry license?

I ask because in Texas, we were able to carry uncased firearms (without a carry license) in our vehicles, so long there was not a round in the chamber. Thus, and for example, you could have an AR or AK on the seat next to you, loaded mag in the firearm, so long as there was not a round in the chamber.

KBCraig

imported post

GarandFan wrote:
I ask because in Texas, we were able to carry uncased firearms (without a carry license) in our vehicles, so long there was not a round in the chamber. Thus, and for example, you could have an AR or AK on the seat next to you, loaded mag in the firearm, so long as there was not a round in the chamber.
When did you live in Texas?

Within my memory (20 years in Texas), there has never been a restriction on carrying a long gun. You can carry open, cased, loaded, unloaded, in a vehicle, on foot, or any combination thereof, however you see fit.

GarandFan

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
When did you live in Texas?

Within my memory (20 years in Texas), there has never been a restriction on carrying a long gun. You can carry open, cased, loaded, unloaded, in a vehicle, on foot, or any combination thereof, however you see fit.

KBCraig:

Thanks for the correction. I lived in west Texas from 1999-2005. It was my understanding from my gun-owning friends that, at least at that time, I could not carry an uncased long gun with a round in the chamber. At that time, I did not have a CCW license. I'm glad you have clarified that.

45llama

imported post

Hey just wanted to let you know that i have begun to open carry everywhere I go in Bowling Green and have never had a bad experience. Everyone seems to be open to the idea and I've never been asked to leave any establishment.