Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45

Thread: On Target Guns & Gunsmithing (Kalamazoo)

  1. #1
    Regular Member EM87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    987

    Post imported post

    Seems odd to me, considering it's a gun store.

    I asked why and was given these reasons:

    1) It's private property and the owners don't allow it. (Fine, it's their choice.)

    2) They want to keep everyone safer (Makes no sense.)

    3) (and I quote) "It's just not a smart thing to do." (He didn't even give me a reason for this opinion, it's just right.)

    Of course they don't mind concealed weapons. (The difference in safety being... ?)

    Infuriating.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544

    Post imported post

    I've gotten the same flak from them.

    It's private property. They make the rules, even if they don't have a good reason.

    And they don't have a good reason. That's for sure.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    576

    Post imported post

    Just called and spoke with a lady (at On Target) on the phone and she said that they are aware of the situation and will look into the matter and take care of the matter.

    I mentioned that they could post a reply here if they wished, mentioned that this info would migrate to MGO, & Defensive carry , very shortly, and also to other sites as well......

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    576

    Post imported post

    Ziggy then put them on the DNP (DO NOT PATRONIZE LIST)...

    AND IF THEY WANT OFF THE LIST THEY WILL HAVE TO CHANGE THERE WAYS,

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544

    Post imported post

    mastiff69 wrote:
    Just called and spoke with a lady (at On Target) on the phone and she said that they are aware of the situation and will look into the matter and take care of the matter.

    I mentioned that they could post a reply here if they wished, mentioned that this info would migrate to MGO, & Defensive carry , very shortly, and also to other sites as well......
    Sheila? She happens to be a family friend.

    We've been trying to warm them up to the idea of OC. It's coming. Especially now that potential customers are walking away b/c of it.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    576

    Post imported post

    Well if they don't support the law, or my choice to open carry then i can go elsewhere, so can my sons and family members.

    I can bring my bussiness to, or away from them, it is their choice not mine.

    These bussinesses get my money

    Southside range Battle Creek mi, Centerline Battle Creek Walmart, sams club,Menards, meijers, ETC... these places support andfollow the laws of that state (HUMM)

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Burton, Michigan
    Posts
    3,361

    Post imported post

    EM87 wrote:
    Seems odd to me, considering it's a gun store.

    I asked why and was given these reasons:

    1) It's private property and the owners don't allow it. (Fine, it's their choice.)

    2) They want to keep everyone safer (Makes no sense.)

    3) (and I quote) "It's just not a smart thing to do." (He didn't even give me a reason for this opinion, it's just right.)

    Of course they don't mind concealed weapons. (The difference in safety being... ?)

    Infuriating.
    Assuming, of course, that "they want to keep everyone safer"the employees were not allowed to OC as well. :?

  8. #8
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157

    Post imported post

    SpringerXDacp wrote:
    Assuming, of course, that "they want to keep everyone safer"the employees were not allowed to OC as well. :?
    I don't know if they're not allowed but in the almost 15 years I've been going there I've never seen an employee OC.

    It's odd how most of the people I hear say "it's not a good idea" are people who make money from the CPL process. I know of at least one employee there who teaches the CPL course.

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Burton, Michigan
    Posts
    3,361

    Post imported post

    Bronson wrote:
    SNIP
    It's odd how most of the people I hear say "it's not a good idea" are people who make money from the CPL process. I know of at least one employee there who teaches the CPL course.

    Bronson
    It's unfortunate that the CPL instructors do not promote/educate the legalities ofOC. IMO, instructors may believe that potential students who are aware of the legalities of OC in Michigan may somehow discourage them from obtaining a CPL. I, on the other hand, believe it would increase the number of applicants.



  10. #10
    Regular Member EM87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    987

    Post imported post

    mastiff69 wrote:
    Just called and spoke with a lady (at On Target) on the phone and she said that they are aware of the situation and will look into the matter and take care of the matter.

    I mentioned that they could post a reply here if they wished, mentioned that this info would migrate to MGO, & Defensive carry , very shortly, and also to other sites as well......
    Do you think that this was said honestly, or just to make you happy for the time being and that things aren't really going to change? I've become painfully aware of the fact that people with opinions about guns tend to hold steadfast and stubborn. If the owners don't think it's a good idea (even without reason), will they really change store policy because we've complained a little bit?
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Burton, Michigan
    Posts
    3,361

    Post imported post

    EM87 wrote:
    mastiff69 wrote:
    Just called and spoke with a lady (at On Target) on the phone and she said that they are aware of the situation and will look into the matter and take care of the matter.

    I mentioned that they could post a reply here if they wished, mentioned that this info would migrate to MGO, & Defensive carry , very shortly, and also to other sites as well......
    Do you think that this was said honestly, or just to make you happy for the time being and that things aren't really going to change? I've become painfully aware of the fact that people with opinions about guns tend to hold steadfast and stubborn. If the owners don't think it's a good idea (even without reason), will they really change store policy because we've complained a little bit?
    It's very unlikely the business will change policy...But you never know. What is important here is that those whousually OCand frequent On Target let them know they are not pleased with the policy and will choose to spend their money elsewhere unless the policy is changed. Until then, I agree with Mastiff, they should be put on the DNP list.

  12. #12
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445

    Post imported post

    SpringerXDacp wrote:
    I, on the other hand, believe it would increase the number of applicants.

    MOC members have shown this to be true. Many people have started out OCing and find the obstacles a pain so they get their CPL. It's the fact that THEY CAN OC that drives them to getting a CPL. So it's in their financial best interests to support it.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  13. #13
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337

    Post imported post

    I've heard from many gun owners that they are critical of OC because they fear that if people are scared and feel the police do nothing about it, they will start calling their legislative representatives. They go on to say that eventually OC would be prohibited, along with a few other firearm freedoms.

    I disagree. The reason I OC is because I think that the more people are desensitized to seeing others shopping or getting gas with a pistol on their hip, the less likely we are going to see further gun control legislation.

    OC=Normal Public Behavior
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157

    Post imported post

    DrTodd wrote:
    I disagree. The reason I OC is because I think that the more people are desensitized to seeing others shopping or getting gas with a pistol on their hip, the less likely we are going to see further gun control legislation.

    OC=Normal Public Behavior
    I agree with your disagreement :P

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544

    Post imported post

    Just paid a visit there today (CCing) Asked the owner if he planned on coming around to OC anytime soon, and he just laughed and shook his head.

    Slowly...

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    576

    Post imported post

    Then is he yes or no to OC ?

    The funny thing i was in the parking lot around 545pm today and just turned around and left when i thought about this post was looking for a tactical dropleg blackhawk..

    I was at the texas corral today at 330pm todaywith my family celebration of my cancer survival, 1 year ago today.

    SOO i guess i will look elsewhere for my future equipment needs, as i plan on buying alot of equipment.....

  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544

    Post imported post

    This past week's event's have gotten him thinking.

    Shortly after this event, my mom brought in the OC materials I had given her (she's more of a gun nut than me!).

    Hope he's read up, but no official word yet, and there probably wont be one.

    It's going to take people regularly OCing there and being asked to leave before he'll get it, I'm sure.

    I ended up going down the road to D&R to make my purchase, and saved $30 doing it, too.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Istanbul, , Turkey
    Posts
    118

    Post imported post

    zigziggityzoo wrote:

    I ended up going down the road to D&R to make my purchase, and saved $30 doing it, too.
    The people at D&R, in my opinoin, are much nicer to deal with than the ones at Off Target!

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544

    Post imported post

    custom.45acp wrote:
    zigziggityzoo wrote:

    I ended up going down the road to D&R to make my purchase, and saved $30 doing it, too.
    The people at D&R, in my opinoin, are much nicer to deal with than the ones at Off Target!
    I beg to differ.

    The two guys behind the gun counter seemed wholly uninterested in helping me. It took me three tries to get the guy out there to direct me to the right gun.

    The only reason I still bought there instead of On Target is because I saved $30, and it came in the finish I wanted.

  20. #20
    Regular Member EM87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    987

    Post imported post

    I've been to On Target probably 6 times in the last 2 weeks because it's the closest place to my house to buy ammo/supplies (although I shop elsewhere when I can) and it's been absolutely packed every single time. As much as I would like the OC policy there to change, they're getting so much business right now due to the gun craze that I don't think a few OCers will make much of a difference. However, maybe in a few months when the anti-gun legislation gets (hopefully) denied (or whenever that may be), we can make more of an impact.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

  21. #21
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157

    Post imported post

    zigziggityzoo wrote:
    custom.45acp wrote:
    zigziggityzoo wrote:

    I ended up going down the road to D&R to make my purchase, and saved $30 doing it, too.
    The people at D&R, in my opinoin, are much nicer to deal with than the ones at Off Target!
    I beg to differ.

    The two guys behind the gun counter seemed wholly uninterested in helping me. It took me three tries to get the guy out there to direct me to the right gun.
    This mirrors my experience at D&R.

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    576

    Post imported post

    EM87 i already made a impact on there sales,they just don't realize it,

    because they did not see me there yesterday, when i left there parking lot,

    and did NOT buy the blackhawk drop leg tactical holster for my hk usp 40..

  23. #23
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157

    Post imported post

    mastiff69 wrote:
    i already made a impact on there sales,they just don't realize it,
    They need to be made aware. We need to send them a copy of the receipt for everything we buy from any other source and make sure they know we didn't buy it from them due to their OC policy.

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

  24. #24
    Regular Member malignity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,101

    Post imported post

    Double Action in Madison Heights (Also a Gun store) does not allow OC either. Just thought I'd give a heads up.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

  25. #25
    Regular Member jbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,241

    Post imported post

    Darn shame about On Target, hope they come around. I used to purchase all my shooting needs there in the day, I still stop in when home on leave. Purchased my first new gun there before I Enlisted (a diamondback).
    Im proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •