• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

On Target Guns & Gunsmithing (Kalamazoo)

EM87

imported post

Seems odd to me, considering it's a gun store.

I asked why and was given these reasons:

1) It's private property and the owners don't allow it. (Fine, it's their choice.)

2) They want to keep everyone safer (Makes no sense.)

3) (and I quote) "It's just not a smart thing to do." (He didn't even give me a reason for this opinion, it's just right.) :banghead:

Of course they don't mind concealed weapons. (The difference in safety being... ?)

Infuriating.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've gotten the same flak from them.

It's private property. They make the rules, even if they don't have a good reason.

And they don't have a good reason. That's for sure.

mastiff69

imported post

Just called and spoke with a lady (at On Target) on the phone and she said that they are aware of the situation and will look into the matter and take care of the matter.

I mentioned that they could post a reply here if they wished, mentioned that this info would migrate to MGO, & Defensive carry , very shortly, and also to other sites as well......

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mastiff69 wrote:
Just called and spoke with a lady (at On Target) on the phone and she said that they are aware of the situation and will look into the matter and take care of the matter.

I mentioned that they could post a reply here if they wished, mentioned that this info would migrate to MGO, & Defensive carry , very shortly, and also to other sites as well......

Sheila? She happens to be a family friend.

We've been trying to warm them up to the idea of OC. It's coming. Especially now that potential customers are walking away b/c of it.

mastiff69

imported post

Well if they don't support the law, or my choice to open carry then i can go elsewhere, so can my sons and family members.

I can bring my bussiness to, or away from them, it is their choice not mine.

These bussinesses get my money

Southside range Battle Creek mi, Centerline Battle Creek Walmart, sams club,Menards, meijers, ETC... these places support andfollow the laws of that state (HUMM)

SpringerXDacp

imported post

EM87 wrote:
Seems odd to me, considering it's a gun store.

I asked why and was given these reasons:

1) It's private property and the owners don't allow it. (Fine, it's their choice.)

2) They want to keep everyone safer (Makes no sense.)

3) (and I quote) "It's just not a smart thing to do." (He didn't even give me a reason for this opinion, it's just right.) :banghead:

Of course they don't mind concealed weapons. (The difference in safety being... ?)

Infuriating.
Assuming, of course, that "they want to keep everyone safer"the employees were not allowed to OC as well. :?

Bronson

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Assuming, of course, that "they want to keep everyone safer"the employees were not allowed to OC as well. :?

I don't know if they're not allowed but in the almost 15 years I've been going there I've never seen an employee OC.

It's odd how most of the people I hear say "it's not a good idea" are people who make money from the CPL process. I know of at least one employee there who teaches the CPL course.

Bronson

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Bronson wrote:
SNIP
It's odd how most of the people I hear say "it's not a good idea" are people who make money from the CPL process. I know of at least one employee there who teaches the CPL course.

Bronson

It's unfortunate that the CPL instructors do not promote/educate the legalities ofOC. IMO, instructors may believe that potential students who are aware of the legalities of OC in Michigan may somehow discourage them from obtaining a CPL. I, on the other hand, believe it would increase the number of applicants.

EM87

imported post

mastiff69 wrote:

Do you think that this was said honestly, or just to make you happy for the time being and that things aren't really going to change? I've become painfully aware of the fact that people with opinions about guns tend to hold steadfast and stubborn. If the owners don't think it's a good idea (even without reason), will they really change store policy because we've complained a little bit?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

EM87 wrote:
mastiff69 wrote:

Do you think that this was said honestly, or just to make you happy for the time being and that things aren't really going to change? I've become painfully aware of the fact that people with opinions about guns tend to hold steadfast and stubborn. If the owners don't think it's a good idea (even without reason), will they really change store policy because we've complained a little bit?
It's very unlikely the business will change policy...But you never know. What is important here is that those whousually OCand frequent On Target let them know they are not pleased with the policy and will choose to spend their money elsewhere unless the policy is changed. Until then, I agree with Mastiff, they should be put on the DNP list.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
I, on the other hand, believe it would increase the number of applicants.
MOC members have shown this to be true. Many people have started out OCing and find the obstacles a pain so they get their CPL. It's the fact that THEY CAN OC that drives them to getting a CPL. So it's in their financial best interests to support it.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I've heard from many gun owners that they are critical of OC because they fear that if people are scared and feel the police do nothing about it, they will start calling their legislative representatives. They go on to say that eventually OC would be prohibited, along with a few other firearm freedoms.

I disagree. The reason I OC is because I think that the more people are desensitized to seeing others shopping or getting gas with a pistol on their hip, the less likely we are going to see further gun control legislation.

OC=Normal Public Behavior

Bronson

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
I disagree. The reason I OC is because I think that the more people are desensitized to seeing others shopping or getting gas with a pistol on their hip, the less likely we are going to see further gun control legislation.

OC=Normal Public Behavior

I agree with your disagreement :p

Bronson

mastiff69

imported post

Then is he yes or no to OC ?

The funny thing i was in the parking lot around 545pm today and just turned around and left when i thought about this post was looking for a tactical dropleg blackhawk..

I was at the texas corral today at 330pm todaywith my family celebration of my cancer survival, 1 year ago today.

SOO i guess i will look elsewhere for my future equipment needs, as i plan on buying alot of equipment.....

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This past week's event's have gotten him thinking.

Shortly after this event, my mom brought in the OC materials I had given her (she's more of a gun nut than me!).

Hope he's read up, but no official word yet, and there probably wont be one.

It's going to take people regularly OCing there and being asked to leave before he'll get it, I'm sure.

I ended up going down the road to D&R to make my purchase, and saved $30 doing it, too.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

custom.45acp wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
I ended up going down the road to D&R to make my purchase, and saved $30 doing it, too.
The people at D&R, in my opinoin, are much nicer to deal with than the ones at Off Target!

I beg to differ.

The two guys behind the gun counter seemed wholly uninterested in helping me. It took me three tries to get the guy out there to direct me to the right gun.

The only reason I still bought there instead of On Target is because I saved $30, and it came in the finish I wanted.

EM87

imported post

I've been to On Target probably 6 times in the last 2 weeks because it's the closest place to my house to buy ammo/supplies (although I shop elsewhere when I can) and it's been absolutely packed every single time. As much as I would like the OC policy there to change, they're getting so much business right now due to the gun craze that I don't think a few OCers will make much of a difference. However, maybe in a few months when the anti-gun legislation gets (hopefully) denied (or whenever that may be), we can make more of an impact.