• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arkansas Travelers Online: Legislator presents state bill allowing open carry of handguns

Tex

imported post

Maybe, just maybe , it's because we want to let the public see that gun toters aren't just the bad guys!! Before my personal experience with a BG, the wife of one of my employees said she would rather be raped and let her children be killed before she would touch a gun, after said incident she bought one for herself. As you yourself have said garnering public support and acceptance is the key to our gun owning(and carrying) future.

Pass the ammo

imported post

Tex4OC wrote:
Maybe, just maybe , it's because we want to let the public see that gun toters aren't just the bad guys!! Before my personal experience with a BG, the wife of one of my employees said she would rather be raped and let her children be killed before she would touch a gun, after said incident she bought one for herself. As you yourself have said garnering public support and acceptance is the key to our gun owning(and carrying) future.

Yes, but not just BG's are responsible for this negative view by the general public. Those who aren't emotionally mature or are careless in handling weapons are as well, and that's why I believe we should work toward enacting an open carry law in stages and initially press for allowing CHL holders to do so and not simply open it as an unrestricted "right." The AR public simply will not accept passage of a law for unrestricted open carry at this time, so why even waste efforts toward that? Why not take a more calibrated and systematic approach in steps rather than try and fell this tree with one swing of the ax?

A reasonable first step, in my opinion, would be a broadening of the existing CHL law to allow those who have gone through the CHL process and who maintain a valid license to carry holstered handguns openly.I think few would argue that CHL holders are far less likely to break any laws which would deprive them of that hard earned license, so the public would be aware - with tme- that someone showing a holstered weapon is even less likely to do them harm, since that person is probably a CHL holder and hasa clear record of law violations.

Once the poublic gets used to that and sees thathandgun "toters" are law abiders and not a threat to their safety, THEN perhaps we can move a little further down the line toward less restricted open carryand the general public will be accepting of passing such a law.

Frankly, I also think that many CHL holders would be happy to see something which says they won't have their licenses pulled if they print or accidently/unintentionally expose their concealed weapons. I know I would. Carrying in the summer is a PITA.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Pass the ammo wrote:
The AR public simply will not accept passage of a law for unrestricted open carry at this time, so why even waste efforts toward that?
The public has very little to do with public policy my friend.

Pass the ammo

imported post

Mike wrote:
Pass the ammo wrote:
The AR public simply will not accept passage of a law for unrestricted open carry at this time, so why even waste efforts toward that?
Not if you hold a referendum on a general ballot, my friend!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Pass the ammo wrote:
Mike wrote:
Pass the ammo wrote:
Does AR constitution allow this?

Arkyhog

imported post

Mike wrote:
Pass the ammo wrote:
Mike wrote:
Pass the ammo wrote:
Does AR constitution allow this?
The Arkansas Constitution allows an initiative to be placed on the next general election ballot. To get an initiative placed on the ballot, a petition has to be registered with the state (I believe 3 months before the election, not sure). This petition must contain at least 6% of the total number of votes placed in the last election for governor.

Pass the ammo

imported post

Now, regarding a referendum, here are a couple of things to be very careful about.

If you get something on the ballot and it's not worded properly, then an opposing (anti-gun, for example) group can challenge it being on the ballot because of the language contained in it or that it may appear to go against the constitution of the state. If it's rejected from the ballot, then you have to wait and start the process from square one for the next election. This happened several times with getting a state lottery enacted. It took almost twenty years.

The other thing to consider carefully, is that once an issue is voted on and it fails in the referendum, then it's very tough to getsimilar legislation enacted through passage of a bill or even find a sponsor for it, since failure of the referendum would indicate to most serving in the legislature that the general public would not want that issue as law.

Pass the ammo

imported post

The surest way to travel the road to success is to first know and avoid the many more roads which lead to failure.

- Chinese proverb