• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Denied renters insurance

jayarmbar

imported post

So I am moving into an apt. and they require $100,000 in liability renters insurance, so I call GEICO. To make a long story short I wanted to up the $2000 VA standard insurance for my firearms one of which is and AR-15. The company that GEICO uses for renters ins. wanted to know if it had a pistol grip, over sized mags, sawed off and if the ammo would be stored separate from the rifle. I confirmed the pistol grip, said the mags were not over sized (they fit just fine!) and that it was not sawed off. The agent that was assisting me was named Brenda said that they couldn't insure me because of the "assault rifle". Even when I told her I would store it elsewhere she said that because I told her about it it was in the system so sorry. So if you go to get renters ins. leave out the fact that you are exercising your 2nd amendment rights.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

jayarmbar wrote:
So I am moving into an apt. and they require $100,000 in liability renters insurance, so I call GEICO. To make a long story short I wanted to up the $2000 VA standard insurance for my firearms one of which is and AR-15. The company that GEICO uses for renters ins. wanted to know if it had a pistol grip, over sized mags, sawed off and if the ammo would be stored separate from the rifle. I confirmed the pistol grip, said the mags were not over sized (they fit just fine!) and that it was not sawed off. The agent that was assisting me was named Brenda said that they couldn't insure me because of the "assault rifle". Even when I told her I would store it elsewhere she said that because I told her about it it was in the system so sorry. So if you go to get renters ins. leave out the fact that you are exercising your 2nd amendment rights.

You should have told her it's not an "assault rifle" (which it most certainly isn't).

Consider filing a discrimination suit as it sounds to me that they are in violation of your civil rights (real ones).

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I had a similar issue with Travellers. Unless you keep all of your firearms and ammo locked up in seperate areas at all times (no wiggle room for keeping a gun for self defense), preferably in a safe they wouldn't write a policy. I will never do business with them again.

hsmith

imported post

Just say they are hunting rifles next time, because people do hunt with them :)

i mean i dunno what a pistol grip is, only pistols have pistol grips as far as i am concerned

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

I have renters insurance with Allstate specifically for my guns and they didn't care what my guns were unless they were worth more than either $1,000 or $2,000 each. (I don't recall whether it was $1K or $2K, but either way, all of my guns are under that value individually, so I didn't have to even tell her what kind of guns they were.)

Good luck.

Rey

imported post

I highly suggest if any are veterans to go with USAA. Not only are they cheap and easy to work with, you can now join if you have ever served, not just active duty. They rock.

Ore

imported post

Just for the record, Travelers and Geico are one and the same for Renters and Homeowners. Geico doesn't write any of that themselves. They just farm out their business to Travlers.

Of note, I have renters with them and don't recall being asked much about firearms -- maybe the "do you store ammo separate" question, but that's about it.

wylde007

imported post

BUBB4H wrote:
I highly suggest if any are veterans to go with USAA. Not only are they cheap and easy to work with, you can now join if you have ever served, not just active duty. They rock.
USAA is also one of the few out there who annually pay premium dividends if the company has a good year.

I'm not a veteran, but was on a USAA policy under my dad, and they migrated me to a non-service policy when I turned 18. My wife is on that policy now. Our children will be on that policy and they should be eligible.

I got a chip on my shoulder when I was 19 or 20 and shopped around. Nobody could even come close to the rates and service of USAA. NOBODY.

jayarmbar

imported post

Ok well I guess travellers had a change of heart overnight!! I called them this morning to cancel my car ins. and explained what had transpired. The agent put me on with a supervisor and had me taken care of in about 10 mins. To make matters better the year is under $200. for 30k personal property and $100k liability.

Ore

imported post

Also, while we are on the topic on insurance, those of you who have more than a couple of guns should think about a Personal Articles Policy specifically to insure your guns. The problem with Homeowners and Renters policies is two-fold. First, they generally have limits of about $2500 for theft of firearms. Second, personal property coverage is on a "named peril" basis, which only gives you coverage for specific types of losses (fire, theft, wind/hail, etc.)

A Personal Articles Policy is better for guns because you can set the limits at whatever you want based on the value of the firearms and accessories (which can add up). Coverage is cheap. And, such policies are "all-risk," meaning that virtually anything can happen to the gun and you're covered (even if you drop it in a lake). Also, you can tack other items of specific value onto the policy (i.e. wife's engagement ring) if you want better coverage for it (in case she drops her ring in the lake :D).

Anyhow, just something for y'all to think about. I have my policy with State Farm; hopefully I won't ever need it.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

BUBB4H wrote:

I love USAA.. but I did fire them off a nasty e-mail because a friend of mine.. now 70+ years old served in the Korean War in the early 50's.. but only served 4 years (so he did not retire) and he can't join USAA! Ugh!

Ed

tag

imported post

Ore wrote:
Also, while we are on the topic on insurance, those of you who have more than a couple of guns should think about a Personal Articles Policy specifically to insure your guns. The problem with Homeowners and Renters policies is two-fold. First, they generally have limits of about $2500 for theft of firearms. Second, personal property coverage is on a "named peril" basis, which only gives you coverage for specific types of losses (fire, theft, wind/hail, etc.)

A Personal Articles Policy is better for guns because you can set the limits at whatever you want based on the value of the firearms and accessories (which can add up). Coverage is cheap. And, such policies are "all-risk," meaning that virtually anything can happen to the gun and you're covered (even if you drop it in a lake). Also, you can tack other items of specific value onto the policy (i.e. wife's engagement ring) if you want better coverage for it (in case she drops her ring in the lake :D).

Anyhow, just something for y'all to think about. I have my policy with State Farm; hopefully I won't ever need it.
Do they cover firearms lost in a tragic boating accident? :D

wylde007

imported post

ed wrote:
I love USAA... but I did fire them off a nasty e-mail because a friend of mine... now 70+ years old served in the Korean War in the early 50's... but only served 4 years (so he did not retire) and he can't join USAA! Ugh!
All active duty, retired and honorably discharged are eligible. My father didn't retire. He was in the Cadet Corps at Virginia Tech, joined up with the Armored Engineers and served about six months in Vietnam before being shot all to hell and sent home. He probably spent less than a year as "active" duty.

It doesn't matter if he served 30 years or 30 days. If he's a veteran, he's eligible. All he needs to do is verify his service record.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
All active duty, retired and honorably discharged are eligible. My father didn't retire. He was in the Cadet Corps at Virginia Tech, joined up with the Armored Engineers and served about six months in Vietnam before being shot all to hell and sent home. He probably spent less than a year as "active" duty.

It doesn't matter if he served 30 years or 30 days. If he's a veteran, he's eligible. All he needs to do is verify his service record.

That's a relatively new change, so perhaps Ed's friend should try again.

When my daughter started driving, USAA quoted me less for a policy that included her than State Farm did for a policy that didn't. And their service is second to none, IMHO.