Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Fairfax CHP address change wait time?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    11

    Post imported post

    I know this is a open carry forum, but I had a question about Fairfaxs CHP address change policy. Does anyone have an idea how long it takes? Minutes? Weeks?

    I've tried searching on VSP website, but it's very vague as to how long it would take.

    TIA. You guys have a great community and I feel lucky to have found you.

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765

    Post imported post

    I don't know how long it would take, but thought I'd point out that it is NOT required that you change the address on your CHL. You may if you wish, but need not.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  3. #3
    Regular Member ChinChin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Loudoun County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    683

    Post imported post

    USDM wrote:
    I know this is a open carry forum, but I had a question about Fairfaxs CHP address change policy. Does anyone have an idea how long it takes? Minutes? Weeks?

    I've tried searching on VSP website, but it's very vague as to how long it would take.

    TIA. You guys have a great community and I feel lucky to have found you.
    +1 to what Tess said. My CHP has an old address listed on it. Given the number of swishy Virginia newspaper reporters who love to publicise the home addresses of CHP holders; I'd suggest you keep the permit as is.
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    11

    Post imported post

    I understand that you don't HAVE to change the address, but it would be nice to be able to use it as a second form of I.D.

    I placeda call to the clerk and left a message. I'll let you guys and gals know once I get a call back.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    11

    Post imported post

    ChinChin wrote:
    USDM wrote:
    I know this is a open carry forum, but I had a question about Fairfaxs CHP address change policy. Does anyone have an idea how long it takes? Minutes? Weeks?

    I've tried searching on VSP website, but it's very vague as to how long it would take.

    TIA. You guys have a great community and I feel lucky to have found you.
    +1 to what Tess said. My CHP has an old address listed on it. Given the number of swishy Virginia newspaper reporters who love to publicise the home addresses of CHP holders; I'd suggest you keep the permit as is.
    Very good point.

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Spotsylvania County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    700

    Post imported post

    I cannot speak for Fairfax but I changed the address on my CHP in Spotsylvania County. It took 15 minutes. Granted. the clerk's office wasn't busy since I went around 10AM.
    ---

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    11

    Post imported post

    Hhhmmm... Just got a call back and it looks like a 3 day process.

    A single form and my old permit is what they needfrom me.I wonderwhat my options for those3 days are?

    Maybe I should just wait for my renewel.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    STUARTS DRAFT, VA, ,
    Posts
    94

    Post imported post

    USDM wrote:
    Hhhmmm... Just got a call back and it looks like a 3 day process.

    A single form and my old permit is what they needfrom me.I wonderwhat my options for those3 days are?

    Maybe I should just wait for my renewel.
    thats what I would do if I was in your spot

  9. #9
    Regular Member ChinChin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Loudoun County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    683

    Post imported post

    USDM wrote:
    I understand that you don't HAVE to change the address, but it would be nice to be able to use it as a second form of I.D.

    I placeda call to the clerk and left a message. I'll let you guys and gals know once I get a call back.
    Assuming you intend to use it as a second form of ID to buy a firearm, please consider you may also use:

    Your car/truck registration

    Fishing license

    A personal check

    Any utility bill

    Military ID

    Voter registration card

    So long as it has the same addy as your license; you're good to go my friend.
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when you’re serious and when you’re being sarcastic. –Abraham Lincoln

  10. #10
    Regular Member TexasNative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    856

    Post imported post

    Since a Military ID doesn't have an address on it, can it still be used? I was under the impression that it couldn't be used for this purpose.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •