Thread: Bellingham K-mart

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Went into Bellingham K-mart with wife and mother-in-law, and went straight to magazine/book area while they take care of their shopping. As soon as I got to the isle I was approached by a woman and a young man. She introduced herself as head of security and asked if I could cover up because management and employees might feel uncomfortable after recent incident.

The recent incident was that a man went into K-mart and held A knife to someones throat demanded weapons, broke into fun case. Then went outside and held a hand gun to his head. My wife was going to go into K-mart when she saw the man in a trench coat pull out a hand gun and then eventually put it to his head. She quickly went to her car called me and watched the police come and tackle the guy.

This incident was over a year ago, so I didn't feel it was very recent, I didn't voice my opion on this but told her I couldn't because I don't have my cpl yet, and didn't want to be breaking any laws. She understood and said she would explain that to management or any employees who had a problem. I told her I would leave and that I respect private property if she thought it would be a problem , she said that wouldn't be necessary.

We then started talking gun talk, young man asked what caliber I carry , she mentioned she missed her gun she had and she can't find it anymore. I encouraged her to come to this site and that someone might know where she could find it. Overall not a bad experience I feel.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar

Post imported post

Wow, and in Bellingham even... nice.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

Post imported post

SVG, sounds like you handled that quite well. It's always nice to be able to allay any fears someone may have after they encounter you by just talking with them to show them you're not some crazed lunatic, as they thought might be the case.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

Very nicly done, your surley the resident expert in thoseneck of the woods.
    Iím proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Post imported post

SVG, I agree, well done! But I've got to ask, do you really not have your CPL? And if not, did you walk there?

I am NOT meaning to criticize!

Post imported post

No I don't have my cpl. I didn't walk there but carry a serpa type holster where I can insert or remove my magazine discreetly. I feel strongly against permits to carry, and the tax that goes along with it. I finally did break down and apply for one, open carried to the Sherrif's office when I did with no problems.

The reason I did so is for the tricky part of getting in and out of a vehicle, I like to ride my motorcycle in the summer, and I can discreetly carry my weapon into places that are anti gun, but don't have it posted.

All fair questions you had and felt no criticism.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Post imported post

Misguided,

You can have your gun in your car if you don't have a CPL. Just have to have it unloaded and stored seperate from the ammunition (actually I believe the law only states you cannot carry a loaded firearm in the car if you do not have your CPL).

Post imported post

Thanks SVG, I know what you mean about the permits. I hate any and all taxes that were created solely to expand bureaucracy. Along with the permit comes the endless confusion in the public that we have to have the CPL to OC.

When I was still riding I loved to OC on the bike. Full leathers on a Harley with my 2 tone Sig definitely turned heads!

And thanks Nitrox, but I do know my own state law...

Post imported post

Nitrox314 wrote:
    Misguided,

You can have your gun in your car if you don't have a CPL. Just have to have it unloaded and stored seperate from the ammunition (actually I believe the law only states you cannot carry a loaded firearm in the car if you do not have your CPL).
    Actually, it can be stored with the ammo as long as it's unloaded and in a secure wrapper or opaque case. A magazine with ammo in it that is inserted into the magazine well (even if the chamber is empty) is considered loaded in this state.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:
    Nitrox314 wrote:
    Misguided,

Actually, it can be stored with the ammo as long as it's unloaded and in a secure wrapper or opaque case. A magazine with ammo in it that is inserted into the magazine well (even if the chamber is empty) is considered loaded in this state.
    Yeah, I referred the words in http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/washington.pdf, but I was also stating what I heard from a LEO once.

Post imported post

Nitrox314 wrote:
    but I was also stating what I heard from a LEO once.
    "Well, there's your problem..." :P
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

LOL....

Yea never have ridden my bike yet armed, I can't wait. Nothing as cool as a Harley but I love my Nighthawk. I am sure I will turn some heads as well.

The less beauracracy the better, I have always felt this way.

Post imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
    LOL....

Yea never have ridden my bike yet armed, I can't wait. Nothing as cool as a Harley but I love my Nighthawk. I am sure I will turn some heads as well.

The less beauracracy the better, I have always felt this way.
    I took a short test ride last fall after doing some work on my bike. Short turned into a bit longer than I expected and probably should have had more on than my T-Shirt and Jeans but I didn't.

I was carrying SOB which apparently caught the attention of the office travelling behind me as my shirt was flying in the wind. He followed me for a couple miles until I turned into my driveway. He stopped out on the road and just shook his head at me - it's good to know the local LEOs!!!!

-adamsesq

Post imported post

I was wondering if someone could clarify OC'ing on a motorcycle. Is this considered different than transporting a weapon in a car and have different guidelines? Are there any specific laws pertaining to motorcycles and guns?

Post imported post

And to go along with NavyLt thoughts ....A bicycle and a motorcycle are concidered vehicles. And you will need a cpl to carry while riding either one. You can read about it in this thread here if you want to know more.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...cle+Washington

Post imported post

Thanks, that clears everything up. Strange that thread didn't show up in my searches.

Post imported post

OC at Burlington and Marysville Walmart yesterday looking for 9mm value packs.

Noammo was the only problem.
    Iím proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.