• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Resident Visiting SC (CC Questions)

ccunning

imported post

I know this is an OC site, but I thought you would be able to assist me. I am a Virginia resident with a CHP and will be visiting you're fine state for the next two weeks or so with a possible extension to my stay of 90 days. My understanding is that SC has a reciprocity agreement for VA resident permit holders, but was curious what the details are regarding the law for CCing. I saw the table in the thread linked below but was concerned about one of the comments saying there are errors in the table, but no clarification on what is incorrect. I'm also concerend a bit about the concealment requirement. Comming from a "Gold Star" state there is little to no concern about "printing" or having your shirt ride up and displaying your firearm. What is the penalty for something like this and how stricktly is it enforced?

Thank you in advance!

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum48/20035.html

PT111

imported post

The law just states that it must be concealed under normal wear of clothing. I have never heard of anyone being hassled about printing. If your shirt rides up that would be a violation and fully dependent on who sees it. Most wouldn't even notice it as long as you cover itback up immediately.

Be careful that carry in any extablishment that serves acohol including your chains such as Chilli's is off limits. Also you must be a resident of the state that issued your permit.

Every LEO I have talked to about this has said that they don't give a "darn" as long as you behave yourself and don't cause a disturbance. The list of places off limiits is correct except the confusion about restaurants and there is no distinction about loaded or unloaded etc.

POORBOY

imported post

Thanks for asking this I am starting to work out of aiken so I may get a small revolver or something for "deep concealment" on my person.

Guess i should read that link but i presume while in my truck i can carry in the center console a-ok with a permit right

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

SECTION 16-23-20
. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions. [SC ST SEC 16-23-20]

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

[ ...]

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glovecompartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance; or

(b) concealed on or about his person, and he has a valid concealed weapons permit pursuant to the provisions of Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23;

PT111

imported post

POORBOY wrote:
Thanks for asking this I am starting to work out of aiken so I may get a small revolver or something for "deep concealment" on my person.

Guess i should read that link but i presume while in my truck i can carry in the center console a-ok with a permit right
Center console and glove box are fine with or without a permit. The exerpt of the law Doug posted could be a little confusing if you aren't fmailiar with the laws.

POORBOY

imported post

thanks it had me lost but i thought i deciphered it down to that. thanks for the info

I like my virgina for the most part its alot easier to understand.

Thndr

imported post

I'll be visiting next week(the week of the 20th).

So a quick recap if you would please,

Carry about person is legal with permit in vehicles and in public where no signs are posted prohibiting, does not serve alcohol, is not a federal building etc..

Correct?

But I am confused by the following:
SECTION 16-23-420. Carrying or displaying firearms in public buildings or areas adjacent thereto.
(A) It is unlawful for a person to possess a firearm of any kind on any premises or property owned, operated, or controlled by a private or public school, college, university, technical college, other post secondary institution, or in any publicly-owned building, without the express permission of the authorities in charge of the premises or property.

This makes me believe carry in publicly owned buildings are off limits, with out permission or is that permission in the form of the publicly-owned building not posting a no carry sign?

Can someone clarify? Is this null with a permit?

hp-hobo

imported post

You can CC pretty much anywhere as long as you have a permit and it doesn't violate federal law. The exceptions to this general rule are explained ingreater detail athttp://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t23c031.htm. 23-31 is really a better source for the carry info you're seeking. Public buildings and school propertiesdo not need a sign posted IAW 23-31-265 to still be off limits. And while most public buildings are easy to identify, the ones that seem to cause the most confusion are public parking garages. No, I don't always know how to tell either, so on the rare occurance that I go to the "big city", I just don't use them.

Oh yeah. Without a permit, you can't legally carry anywhere. Enjoy your trip.