• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

West Olympia Top Food and Drug

Pay_Lay_Ale

imported post

I went shopping at the West Olympia Top Food and Drug last night. I first went to the produce section and within a minute the manager came to me. Here's how the conversation went down:

Manager: "Where's your badge?"
Me: "What difference does it make whether I have a badge?"
Manager: "Well, you need a badge to carry a gun like that."
Me: "Not in the state of WA. WA is an open carry state."
Manager: "No, it isn't. You're misinformed. You need to put that away."
Me: "I'm not putting anything away."
Manager: "Well, it's our policy and it's scaring customers."
Me: "The irrational fears of others are not my problem. And is this is a corporate policy, or did you just make that up on the spot?"
Manager: "I'm going to have to ask you to leave or I'll call the police"
Me: Call the police. I'm never shopping here again.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Good for you. Telling you that you are misinformed about this being an Open Carry state... What an asshat. Too bad you didn't have a pamphlet to give him. Not that he would have taken one...

mtlhdtodd

imported post

Strange, I open carry in the Auburn store all the time. I'm a regular and know some of the staff but still...

Pay_Lay_Ale

imported post

Oh, and I forgot to add that he watched me go out to my car and wrote down my license plate number. The cops never showed up at my house, so I guess I have to assume that the local PD is a bit more informed than this prick.

just_a_car

imported post

PLA, first off, I didn't see where you asked if they were the manager... how did you know they were the manager and not just some employee?

I haven't had any issue OC'ing at my local 24 hour Top F&D and that's even late at night/early morning. That said, if you're sure this was a manager, it certainly qualifies the store for the Watch List, but not the DNP List, due to no written policy nor signage.

Pay_Lay_Ale

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
PLA, first off, I didn't see where you asked if they were the manager... how did you know they were the manager and not just some employee?

I haven't had any issue OC'ing at my local 24 hour Top F&D and that's even late at night/early morning. That said, if you're sure this was a manager, it certainly qualifies the store for the Watch List, but not the DNP List, due to no written policy nor signage.
This guy had a shirt and tie on and looked like a manager.

just_a_car

imported post

PLA, I would be willing to bet that you're right in that he was likely a manager, but asking next time would be helpful, as would getting his name. Plus, it's certainly within your rights to ask to see the policy... they can refuse, but it hurts his claim that it's not his own policy made up on the spot (and good on you on calling him on that, his response sure sounded like he got caught in a lie).

As I'm not 100% sure this was a manager, though it likely was, I can't in good conscience put it up on the Watch List unless others here think it qualifies. (Yes, I edit the list, but I'm more than open to feedback from the forum on how it should be run).

I would highly suggest contacting the stores manager (as that was likely a shift manager) or the district manager and explain your situation and how offended you were by this man who threatened you with trespass and arrest.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Pay_Lay_Ale wrote:
Oh, and I forgot to add that he watched me go out to my car and wrote down my license plate number. The cops never showed up at my house, so I guess I have to assume that the local PD is a bit more informed than this prick.
Yes the local PD is much more informed. They have been well trained in the matter and all are aware that OC is legal. I wouldn't worry about OPD, especially the guys on the west side. They are good people.

Contact Hagen Corporate in Bellingham and ask their policy on this matter. I haven't OC'd in the Oly Top Foods as I have been in there before as a vendor and don't wish to create problems. I have OC'd in the Lynnwood Top Foods though with no problems.

deanf

imported post

Is this the one at 1313 Cooper Pt Rd? I spent about 30 minutes in there a few months ago OC and I know several employees and customers saw my gun, and I didn't have any trouble.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

deanf wrote:
Is this the one at 1313 Cooper Pt Rd? I spent about 30 minutes in there a few months ago OC and I know several employees and customers saw my gun, and I didn't have any trouble.
There is only the one in Olympia so that would be it.

heresolong

imported post

This would be a great time to contact the parent company. Haggen. We have had trouble getting a response of any sort but if they start getting calls from around the sound, they may eventually actually answer someone.

mtlhdtodd

imported post

Manu wrote:
mtlhdtodd wrote:
Strange, I open carry in the Auburn store all the time. I'm a regular and know some of the staff but still...

Which store you shop at in Auburn? I usually go to one on the lakeland hills.
The one on Auburn Way North, just north of 15th NE.