• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Academy Sport - Negative Encounter

the wheeelman

imported post

Here is the number to the Store Director, his name is Lance 337-371-4771

Funny thing is, he left me a message to call him back and now I can't get a hold of him. Maybe I'll pay him another visit with my friend on my side.

imported post

And you're surprised? LOL, welcome to the new corporate Amerika, home
of phone tag.
Is Lance only over that one store?

UPDATE: Since Lance wasn't available, I DID talk to a Scotty Guidry in firearms at the Lafayette store.
He assured me OC is fine, UNLESS some pissyass customer whines, then he MAY have to ask you to leave.
While I had Scotty on the phone, I attempted to buy my shotgun, they didn't have it.
Scotty did provide a number for a Loretta Watkins, the district manager for all of LA and some of East TX. 281-646-5197.
You may want to give her a call, too.

the wheeelman

imported post

The phone tag continues! Called the District Manager with no luck. BUT...I did go into Academy today and NO problems at all. that includes the original tools that gave me problems last time so I believe my complaint may have prompted Lance to inform the staff that it is in fact OK to carry on the premises.

I will try again Monday though.

Have a good Easter!

dirty_sanchez

imported post

OC'd at both Academy's here in Baton Rouge earlier today with no problems at all.

Airline location: I had to pick up a worm box, then to inspect the empty handgun ammo shelves. An older gentleman holding a clipboard, (likely management) and a radio on his belt giving assignments to employees in front of the gun counter saw me standing there looking at the bare shelves and asked if I needed assistance. We both laughed at the non-existant stock of ammo.

Before I left I spent a few minutes looking at the strong boxes they keep on the front wall in front of the registers-which are also happen to be right by the front glass partioned office space.

No problem here, and he approached me from the strong side.

Siegen Location: Same non-event to report. I asked management who was helping another customer football pad aisle where the athletic tape could be found. I walked by him on my strong side.

Then off to the gun counter. They were busy so I paid for my tape standing in the longest line, thanked the two members of management and left.

The most amusing reaction was one from a sideways hat wearing hipster who desperately needed a belt or suspenders and did a quick side-step hopas he walked past me finally noticing my G27. I didn't know eyeballs are the size of ping pong balls until just then.

Between two locations I spoke with two or 3 members who were obviously managment, probably 50 customers all total, and walked past another dozen employees with no worries or issues, just as it should be.

Dirty

Geronimo44

imported post

I agree. If people flaunt and cause issues with this, the next thing you will see is no open carry anywhere. Don't just throw stuff out like, " What are you an idiot,you don't know your constitional rights in Louisiana?" Liberals and such love this stuff and are looking for it. Carry a printed copy of the statute and give it to the person or at least let them see it. It is somewhat vague and can be fired right back at you when it says in there that establishments can establish their own rules in this. All I am saying is be smart when answering such questions, and don't seem confrontational which may get used against you if the law gets involved.

biggin215

imported post

I'm assuming that most of you are not 19. A 19 year old open carrying in a public place would probably draw more attention than a 30 or 40 year old open carrying. I might test this out and let you know. It really bugs me how I get stereotyped just because of my age even though it is completely within my right to open carry at 19. I mainly want to open carry for long trips where I have to stop at gas station along the way and at my workplace. I'm going to be working at a gun store soon so carrying is pretty essential to me in that environment. I will see what kind of reactions I get when I carry inside a gas station, but my guess will be that they will not be good ones.

Dustin

imported post

biggin215 wrote:
I'm assuming that most of you are not 19. A 19 year old open carrying in a public place would probably draw more attention than a 30 or 40 year old open carrying. I might test this out and let you know. It really bugs me how I get stereotyped just because of my age even though it is completely within my right to open carry at 19. I mainly want to open carry for long trips where I have to stop at gas station along the way and at my workplace. I'm going to be working at a gun store soon so carrying is pretty essential to me in that environment. I will see what kind of reactions I get when I carry inside a gas station, but my guess will be that they will not be good ones.

Wear proper attire, keep a good shave/haircut and this will minimize any reaction you think you'll get.

I still keep a high/fade/High-n-Tight look from the Marine Corps. Shave daily and usualy wear jeans, decent shirt (Like Carhart T-Shirt) tucked in, with a belt.

OFTEN, folks assume I'm a COP. Little do they know, my disgust for most LEO's.

biggin215

imported post

I consider myself pretty well kept for the most part. Sure I have my lazy days, but I still do well to dress appropriately. There is still no getting past looking young.

the wheeelman

imported post

biggin215 wrote:
I'm assuming that most of you are not 19. A 19 year old open carrying in a public place would probably draw more attention than a 30 or 40 year old open carrying.

Certainly not even close to 19 but that said, I look it or so I am told ALL THE TIME! Kind of gets on my nerves as I am 26 but I guess I will laugh about it when I get older. Dressing respectfully does help but minorly as I am a college graduate and a working "business" professional and routinely OC with a polo tucked in and I still get looks and bothers.

Geronimo44

imported post

Mark, you seem to be the most versed on this issue so I have a question for you. Now I am not trying to be a smart %$#! I understand the Open Carry issue and all but here is the question. What is the legal age for a person to buy a handgun? I believe it is 21, correct? So, if a person is under 21 and can not purchase the gun how can he carry one openly legally? I have a son under 21 and I am curious.

Dustin

imported post

Geronimo44 wrote:
Mark, you seem to be the most versed on this issue so I have a question for you. Now I am not trying to be a smart %$#! I understand the Open Carry issue and all but here is the question. What is the legal age for a person to buy a handgun? I believe it is 21, correct? So, if a person is under 21 and can not purchase the gun how can he carry one openly legally? I have a son under 21 and I am curious.

There's a difference between "purchasing" and "owning/carrying".

Here's the State Law, that verifies that anyone 17 years of age or older is legal to carry a handgun on his person. (NOT CONCELAED) just on his person.

14:95.8

§95.8. Illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile

A. It is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of seventeen years knowingly to possess any handgun on his person. Any person possessing any handgun in violation of this Section commits the offense of illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile.

B.(1) On a first conviction, the offender shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars and imprisoned for not less than ninety days and not more than six months.

(2) On a second conviction, the offender shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars and imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than two years.

(3) On a third or subsequent conviction, the offender shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars and imprisoned at hard labor for not more than five years.

(4) A juvenile adjudicated delinquent under this Section, having been previously found guilty or adjudicated delinquent for any crime of violence as defined by R.S. 14:2(B), or attempt or conspiracy to commit any such offense, shall upon a first or subsequent conviction be fined not less than five hundred dollars and not more than one thousand dollars and shall be imprisoned with or without hard labor for not less than six months and not more than five years. At least ninety days shall be served without benefit of probation, parole, or suspension of sentence.

C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to any person under the age of seventeen years who is:

(1) Attending a hunter's safety course or a firearms safety course.

(2) Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting at an established range.

(3) Hunting or trapping pursuant to a valid license issued to him pursuant to the laws of this state.

(4) Traveling to or from any activity described in Paragraph (1), (2), or (3) of this Subsection while in possession of an unloaded gun.

(5) On real property with the permission of his parent or legal guardian and with the permission of the owner or lessee of the property.

(6) At such person's residence and who, with the permission of such person's parent or legal guardian, possesses a handgun.

(7) Possessing a handgun with the written permission of such person's parent or legal guardian; provided that such person carries on his person a copy of such written permission.

D. For the purposes of this Section "handgun" means a firearm as defined in R.S. 14:37.2, provided however, that the barrel length shall not exceed twelve inches.

Acts 1999, No. 1218, §1.

Couple the above with Section 11 of the State Constitution which states;

§11. Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Section 11. The right of each citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be abridged, but this provision shall
not prevent the passage of laws to prohibit the carrying of weapons concealed on the person.

And you get the proper understanding that anyone 17 and above can legally Open Carry.

;)

Anty506

imported post

biggin215 wrote:
I'm 19 and run into several problems (LA Carry can tell you :) )

My last encounter was at Walgreens in Hammond. The cop was a real dick! He even made the comment of you think you know the laws, but I'm the cop, what do you do for a living, dig ditches.

Really pissed me off. I simply responded, no I don't dig ditches, I'm actually the CIO for the company I work for, and when it comes to gun laws, I do know them.

Anty506

imported post

Dustin wrote:
biggin215 wrote:

Wear proper attire, keep a good shave/haircut and this will minimize any reaction you think you'll get.

I still keep a high/fade/High-n-Tight look from the Marine Corps. Shave daily and usualy wear jeans, decent shirt (Like Carhart T-Shirt) tucked in, with a belt.

OFTEN, folks assume I'm a COP. Little do they know, my disgust for most LEO's.
This does not work for me.

Like I said in my above post.... I'm the CIO for the largest IT outsource company in the USA and I wear slacks with a dress button up shirt and I still get shit from LEOs

Gumbo

imported post

New guy gonna play devil's advocate for a bit.

With all the sensationalized news stories on TV about crazed gunmen, it isn't unreasonable to expect that you would encounter resistance,God given right or not. I read your post about being tossed from the mall, don't forget it was only about a year ago that lunatic murdered his girlfriend at the mall.

I'm not denying you were wrongfully evicted or that Paul Blart mall cop overreacted to the situation. I know just as well as you that someone intent on committing murder isn't going to walk into a public place with his gun holstered. I also know what a pain in the ass it is to have to CCW in the summer here, but it doesn't change the fact that people, for the most part, haven't openly carried here or any other place for that matter in years.

Think about how you would react if you're driving down Ambassador one Saturday and someone is riding a horse down the road, slowing down traffic and potentially creating an increased risk for an accident. Someone is eventually going to call the police out of irrational fear and, even though he's legally entitled, the man is going to be asked to get the horse off the road because he's "creating a public nuisance".

Personally, I think open carry is great, but when you mate people's fear of what they don't understand to a general uneasiness about firearms, what else would you expect?

imported post

Funny you should mention the horse rider.
More than once, I seriously considered purchasing a mule drawn covered wagon.
It was my intent to hang a huge sign on both sides and the rear.
"NO DRIVER'S LICENSE OR PROOF OF INSURANCE REQUIRED."

Starting at the East Baton Rouge parish line on US 190, I would make my way to downtown BR at morning rush hour. The purpose was to bring awareness to how the public roads are no longer "free."

Creating a public nuisance? Not hardly.

To answer your final question, "education."

the wheeelman

imported post

Not exactly a good analogy at your attempt to play devils advocate. Those are mutually exclusive events. While carrying a gun and riding a horse may draw attention, slowing traffic down is directly effecting drivers. My carry of a sidearm is not directly effecting people other than them being a little scared.

Also, I would be all for someone riding a horse and would be amused by it and the disturbance it would cause for all the folks that believe they are "entitled" around here and everyone else. That's the problem with society these days, the self entitled, me me me attitude everyone has.

Lastly, I am aware of the crazed gunner at the mall. All the more reason to be packing!!!

Gumbo

imported post

So long as I continue to pay my taxes, am I not entitled to enjoy the use of my public road? A road mind you that is designed to be used by automobiles.

And you are in fact directly affecting the general public when you open carry. If someone sees you open carrying in a store and they have a serious aversion to firearms, lets say from some traumatic childhood experience, and decide not to enter, how is that not directly affecting somebody? Is your open carrying of a firearm not infringing on their right to be in a public place the same as you, rational fear or not? I'm not saying their aversion to firearms should in any way keep you from owning or carrying, but you can't assume the attitude of "I'm gonna do what I want so long as its legal, screw everyone else". All those people you disregarded are going to form a majority and vote our gun rights away.

If there was no alternative to open carrying, I'd have to agree with you, but since you can CCW and obtain the permit to do sofairly easily, it's something you should consider looking into. Besides, if I plan on robbing a bank/merchant and have no qualms about killing people, who do you think I'm gonna walk up behind and shoot point blank in the head before anyone knows what's going on? The guy open carrying or the guy who's gothis firearm concealed?

imported post

LOL, good grief, you guys.
Let's settle this once and for all and then MOVE FORWARD.
NO one possesses some mystical right to not be offended. Got that?
If anyone has an aversion to firearms, THEY have a problem, not an OC'er.
You cannot "vote a right away." A right doesn't owe it's existence to any legislature.
Rights come from God.
Yea, by all means, surrender your RIGHT to carry and beg/whimper/plea for Massuh's permission to conceal carry. A real free man there, I tell ya.

Go peddle your "shoot the OC'er first" theory over on Bayou Shooters where it's not only accepted but promoted.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I stood, face to face, talking to someone for a good 5 minutes before they even realized I was OC'ing.

I'm still waiting on a verifiable account of a robber taking out an OC'er (excluding store manager/employee) in the course of a robbery. If they exist at all, they're few and far between.

It IS a convenient excuse for cowards to hide behind a CCW permit, though.