• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stopped by bank security...

crotalus01

imported post

Just went up to the First Tennessee branch on Cleaveland and Union (pretty rough area for those not from Memphis) to get a check cashed. I walked past the security guard standing at the entrance. I waited in line, got my check cashed and was walking out when I hear a "sir, excuse me.". Turns out the guard saw my Glock on my hip and followed me in, watched my transaction and now was asking who I worked for. I told him and he says, "Are you police for them?", I said no. He then tells me he doesnt think I am allowed to carry a gun in a bank if I am not a cop or security guard. I quickly corrected him on this point and listed the few places in TN it is prohibited to carry. He voiced his opinion that noone but cops (and him apparently as he was armed) should be allowed a gun in banks, and that he wished people had less access to guns (again I guess excepting himself as he was armed). I told him we could agree to disagree but I had no intention of disarming to enter the bank now or in the future. He ended the conversation by saying he would "check with his boss". I said thats fine and have a nice day. He was never rude or particularly confrontational, and really seemed ingnorant of the law (he mentioned that he thought you couldnt carry in liquor stores at one point), which seemed to me odd as I thought to be armed security you had to attend a much more in-depth class than you do for a carry permit.

Anyways, just thought I would share my experience.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

crotalus01 wrote:
Just went up to the First Tennessee branch on Cleaveland and Union (pretty rough area for those not from Memphis) to get a check cashed. I walked past the security guard standing at the entrance. I waited in line, got my check cashed and was walking out when I hear a "sir, excuse me.". Turns out the guard saw my Glock on my hip and followed me in, watched my transaction and now was asking who I worked for. I told him and he says, "Are you police for them?", I said no. He then tells me he doesnt think I am allowed to carry a gun in a bank if I am not a cop or security guard. I quickly corrected him on this point and listed the few places in TN it is prohibited to carry. He voiced his opinion that noone but cops (and him apparently as he was armed) should be allowed a gun in banks, and that he wished people had less access to guns (again I guess excepting himself as he was armed). I told him we could agree to disagree but I had no intention of disarming to enter the bank now or in the future. He ended the conversation by saying he would "check with his boss". I said thats fine and have a nice day. He was never rude or particularly confrontational, and really seemed ingnorant of the law (he mentioned that he thought you couldnt carry in liquor stores at one point), which seemed to me odd as I thought to be armed security you had to attend a much more in-depth class than you do for a carry permit.

Good on ya for standing up for your Rights.

Security Guard requirements in Tennessee:

http://www.local-security-guard.com/security-guard-license-Tennessee.html

suntzu

imported post

crotalus01 wrote:

So he wishes people didn't have as much access to guns does he? Then I would have said that HE should have been the first person who should be willing to disarm unless of course he didn't consider himself a "person"...

maybe the mall cop was an amoeba in disguise since he excepted himself from the gun carry?

Maybe he was Barney fife in disguise?

WCrawford

imported post

Did you happen to get the guard's name? The Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance (the licensing agency for security guards) has an online records check available. If this guard doesn't know the law, it is also possible he isn't properly licensed and should be reported to the Dept.

BTW, I report suspected unlicensed guards all the time. Unlicensed guards (unarmed or armed) hurt the pay for people like myself, licensed guards.

crotalus01

imported post

Nah, I didnt get his name but I am pretty sure he was licensed. My mother worked for First Tennessee for over 30 years and she said they are pretty strict about the training for the security they hire (she hates the place so she defintely has no reason to do any covering for them).