• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MOC files for non-profit org. in Michigan

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I filed for non-profit incorporation today. I want to thank the incorporation committee for all they did, Grant, Nate, Randy, Doug and Jeff. Thanks guys.

DanM

imported post

Venator wrote:
I filed for non-profit incorporation today. I want to thank the incorporation committee for all they did, Grant, Nate, Randy, Doug and Jeff. Thanks guys.

All you guys, thanks for the time you put in and the effort you give!

Michigander

imported post

Thank you indeed!

Now, for those of us who are less business savvy, what does this mean for us? What have we gained?

Venator

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Thank you indeed!

Now, for those of us who are less business savvy, what does this mean for us? What have we gained?

Well, some of the things we gain are: Legitimacy, when we talk to the media, PDs, legislators, etc. we can say we are Michigan Open Carry Inc. a pro-gun non-profit organization with members from all across Michigan, officers can sign letters with

John Smith, President
Michigan Open Carry Inc.

It allows use to have paid members and fund-raise without taxation. Donations will be tax deductible in Michigan and possibly the feds as we explore getting a federal exemption in the future. The members will have a vote in the operation of MOC. We plan to have benefits for paid members, discounts at area stores, etc.

We plan on having an informational website that we have control of. With organized calenders, downloads, and more.

Once we have some working capital we will be able to print out nice info brochures, business cards, stickers, etc.

Once we are up and going there is the possibility of forming a PAC for MOC as a sister organization. This would allow us to influence pro-gun legislation.

These are just a few of the things I envision for MOC. and with the help and leadership of it's members I'm sure we can accomplish more than I have dreamt of in my philosophy.

It also means that MOC and it's logo is protected by Michigan law and it would be up to the officers and by-laws (not written yet) to determine the use of the name and logo. So events that are sanctioned by MOC could use the name and logo. Those that are not would have to use something else, like Open Carry meet, or Metro Open Carry, or Clinton County open carry, etc. These are all things that need to be worked out.

It must be stressed that no person owns the corporation (if it's accepted) it is a non-stock membership, which means it has officers elected by it's membership. The members and the officers are empowered with it's operation.

Also by being an corporation the members have some liability protection, that is if some group or agency tries to sue or somehow attack one of the officers, etc., there is some protection under the corporation laws. This will be important as many of you know we have pushed some buttons and some nasty things have been threatened against it's members. Like when the Burton Police Chief threatened to sue me for libel. Little things like that.

Michigander

imported post

Brian, back in December of 07 when you, I, and mr and mrs Mastiff60 were talking in that McDonalds about expanding into a state wide network with different regions, I thought we being perhaps a bit too ambitious. Now, looking back on it, and looking at an even brighter future than I could have dreamed of at that point, I am glad I was wrong. :D

Venator

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Brian, back in December of 07 when you, I, and mr and mrs Mastiff60 were talking in that McDonalds about expanding into a state wide network with different regions, I thought we being perhaps a bit too ambitious. Now, looking back on it, and looking at an even brighter future than I could have dreamed of at that point, I am glad I was wrong. :D
Lets keep on dreaming, no telling what we might accomplish.:D

Venator

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
So what does it take for me to start speaking on behalf of MI Open Carry when I write Simon Malls about their corporate policy?

Well we won't be a corporation until we get the okay from the state (3-5 days). Then we need to form a ad hoc committee to form by-laws and select an interim board. The board would decide what to do.

My opinion is that people could compose letters, etc. and send them for review to the board and the board would okay the letter and allow the letterhead and corporate name to be used. But it ultimately would be up to the board.

Michigander

imported post

There is a large difference between speaking on behalf of, and speaking as a member of. At this point, at our current level organization and size, I don't know that it makes much difference, as far as how much weight a statement carries. However, that will hopefully change as we continue to expand.

Michigander

imported post

I was thinking, as a legit organization, what if MOC set out to contact every single police department in the state? My theory is that the biggest reason people are afraid to open carry is the police. If we could have concrete proof that PD's all over the state were aware of OC, and had no intentions to harass people for doing it, I think that a lot more gun owners would "come out of the clothset" and start OCing, and that is, after all, our ultimate goal.

Venator

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I was thinking, as a legit organization, what if MOC set out to contact every single police department in the state? My theory is that the biggest reason people are afraid to open carry is the police. If we could have concrete proof that PD's all over the state were aware of OC, and had no intentions to harass people for doing it, I think that a lot more gun owners would "come out of the clothset" and start OCing, and that is, after all, our ultimate goal.

On behalf of MOC I did prepare a lists of concerns and an action plan that I gave to Mike Cox's aide at his St. Pat's Party. I asked him to inform all LE agencies in the state about OC and the transport issue, along with a few others.

It would take great effort to inform all LE agencies in the state and it would carry zero weight. It has to come from an authority in LE and Law,i.e. the AG.

MOC can,and will, I hope try to get the AG to act on this.

Michigander

imported post

I agree that Mike Cox is definitely someone we need to talk to. But I think my idea could carry some weight, and could be important if Mike doesn't manage to help us as much as we hope he will. My idea would be that you'd try to get a chief, sheriff, or minimally one of his or her lieutenants to acknowledge that OCing is legal, and that their officers are well aware of it too. Having this in writing would be nice, and of course this could all be listed in alphabetical order by city/township and county, and passed out along with the standard brochures whenever one of us was handing out info to someone.

I think it would take a lot of time and a lot of effort, but I don't think it would be all that complicated to type up a nice looking letter that could be tweaked for each PD. It could ask for specific information, such as if all officers are aware, and if not, it could offer guidance, such as relevant laws, AG opinions, and phone numbers (MSP) for who to contact for further information. Plus, it could contain an invitation to any meetings in that area, and to sign up on this site to share comments or concerns if they wished. And lastly, it could contain a request for an on the record letter, email, or phone call back, to acknowledge if the PD was certain that all agency members are aware of OCing, and add that if they weren't on the list, that it would be likely that some would see this as hostility, and that this was sincerely unwanted by MOC and all of its members, because we are all out for the common good, same as they are.

Cities and townships that acknowledge us would be much more inviting for newer people who are more nervous about OCing, and with cities that don't, we would have our work cut out for us with meetings and such.

If others are interested in this, after MOC becomes more established, I'd be quite happy and eager to help get it done.
On the other hand, something we maybe shouldn't do is try to get too big too fast. It is possible, that such an effort could piss off a lot of cops, and that it would therefor be a bad idea, because they could call their state reps and local news agencies and make a mess of things. So maybe going after every dept at once would be a bt it much. But I still think that mass quantities of letters could carry benefit, perhaps in the form of 10 or 20 at a time.

Gosirr

imported post

Maybe a good start would be contacting all the the county's sheriff departments, with a registered letter(requiring a signature). There is only 83 of them. That would at least get a foot hold in each county. After that we can work our way down,contacting the individual police departments.

Venator

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I think it would take a lot of time and a lot of effort, but I don't think it would be all that complicated to type up a nice looking letter that could be tweaked for each PD. It could ask for specific information, such as if all officers are aware, and if not, it could offer guidance, such as relevant laws, AG opinions, and phone numbers (MSP) for who to contact for further information. Plus, it could contain an invitation to any meetings in that area, and to sign up on this site to share comments or concerns if they wished. And lastly, it could contain a request for an on the record letter, email, or phone call back, to acknowledge if the PD was certain that all agency members are aware of OCing, and add that if they weren't on the list, that it would be likely that some would see this as hostility, and that this was sincerely unwanted by MOC and all of its members, because we are all out for the common good, same as they are.
I have been doing this in my area for over a year. The info thread has a download that people can modify and send to their local PD's. Some have been doing this. GOSIR hosts the download. I have encouraged people to do this on there own and to use the MOC name. I'm sure one of the things the board will do is approve a similar packet with the logo and such, that members can use.