• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

River Woods Park MOC Picnic

DanM

imported post

Currently, this is in the events thread for April 12th.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I plan on putting in a lot of effort to inform as many media outlets as possible about this event.This park has an explicit, illegal "no weapons" statement on the park rules sign andAuburn Hills has a few ordinances which violate state preemption on gun regulation. Despite my efforts since last yearwith city officials, the ordinances are still in place so this event wouldbe important for "highlighting awareness of illegal ordinances and signage".

For whatever media that show up, it is my opinion that a healthyturnout of OC folks would be beneficial given that I will attempt my very bestto maximize the publicity we receive. I think thatthe date for now should be "TBD upon getting X confirmed attendees open-carrying". "X" being the "magic" number to be considered a "healthy turnout".

What do you think X should be? I think 8. What do you think?

Once we have X confirmed OC'ers, we could set the date that is convenient for them, and I willalert as many media outlets as possible.

If we're notgettingX anytime soon, then we can still do the event, set a hard date, but I won't get crazy with trying to turn out as much media as possible.

DanM

imported post

dougwg wrote:
Well we had around 75 in Warren last year.

I'm IN!
I would hope forsuch aturnout. The Warren event hadNINETEEN (19)OC'ers confirmattendance and four "possibles".

Thanks, dougwg and HPC9. You put us at 6 confirmed so far.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

DanM wrote:
dougwg wrote:
Well we had around 75 in Warren last year.

I'm IN!
I would hope forsuch aturnout. The Warren event hadNINETEEN (19)OC'ers confirmattendance and four "possibles".

Thanks, dougwg and HPC9. You put us at 6 confirmed so far.
Yes but the newspaper had a piecea few days before and many people came because of that. You can try do do the same. If you can get a press release in before the event that would help greatly.

DanM

imported post

Venator wrote:
Yes but the newspaper had a piecea few days before and many people came because of that. You can try do do the same. If you can get a press release in before the event that would help greatly.

Thanks for that input, Brian. Do you have a good example of a press release that you can PM or email to me? I can modify to suit and start getting it out there.

On the matter of timingof alerting the media, is there an optimum? I don't want to do it "too late", obviously, but is there also a "too soon"? Or, is it best to send press releases at the earliest opportunity, even if it is two or three weeks from an event?

Venator

imported post

DanM wrote:
Thanks for that input, Brian. Do you have a good example of a press release that you can PM or email to me? I can modify to suit and start getting it out there.

On the matter of timingof alerting the media, is there an optimum? I don't want to do it "too late", obviously, but is there also a "too soon"? Or, is it best to send press releases at the earliest opportunity, even if it is two or three weeks from an event?

Hope this helps:
I would say about 10 days before the event. Many papers and TV stations have community calanders on their sites and allow you to post stuff on them. I would contact the news directors of both print and TV, as well as posting in the calanders.

I contacted the media viaemails, but a phone call works wonders.

Below are two releases I usedfor two differant events. Modify as you deem necessary. I would be happy to review your releaseif you like. I may be able to attend with the wife and kid.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Who: Michigan Open Carry (MOC)
What: A Q&A session on the legality of the open carry of a handgun in Michigan and grand opening of Discerning Shootist.
When: Saturday December 6[suP]th[/suP], at 2:00 PM
Where: Discerning Shootist, 721 Woodmere Ave Traverse City, MI.
Why: To educate the Public and Law Enforcement on the legality of Open carry of a handgun in Michigan.

A joint event with Michigan Open Carry (MOC) and the proprietor of the Discerning Shootist is being held Saturday December 6th, at 2:00 PM at the Discerning Shootist a self defense retail store located at 721 Woodmere Ave Traverse City, MI.. This grand opening and informational event will feature a presentation on the legality of the open carry of a handgun in Michigan. Brian Jeffs will be the guest speaker from MOC. Mr. Jeffs has given several talks on this subject throughout the state. The proprietor of the Discerning Shootist will provide a BBQ luncheon. This event is open to anyone that wants to learn more about the lawful open carry of a handgun in Michigan and to check out the newest self-defense store in the area. This will be an informal and family friendly event that is open to the public. For information on this event contact XXXX at 231.932.1559

For media contact only: YOur name and number

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Host: Michigan Open Carry and The Coffee Beanery
Where: The Coffee Beanery: 28557 Woodward Ave. Berkley, MI 248-336-9930

When: Sunday December 21[suP]st[/suP], at 1:00 PM
Why: To share information on the legality of the open carry of a handgun in Michigan.

A joint event between Michigan Open Carry (MOC) and the proprietor of The Coffee Beanery is being held Sunday December 21[suP]st[/suP], at 1:00 PM. A Presentation will be given by Brian Jeffs a contributing member of Michigan Open Carry (MOC). Mr. Jeffs has given talks throughout the state on the topic of open carry of a handgun. Members of MOC will be on hand to answer questions and share their experience on open carry. This event is open to anyone that wants to learn more about the lawful open carry of a handgun in Michigan. Anyone that can lawfully possess a handgun is encouraged, but not required to open carry while at the event. Literature on open carry will be available. This is an informal and family friendly event that is open to the public. For information on this event contact you contact here.

Not for publication and for media contact only:
YOUR NAME AND NUMBER HERE.

Possible contacts.

City/Metro desk: dfpcity@freepress.com XX
313-222-6600; fax: 313-222-5981

Name: Karen Smith Title: Editor - Mirror Newspapers Department: News - Community Editors Work phone: (248) 901-2592 E-Mail: ksmith@hometownlife.com XX

Detroit News media contacts. [url]http://www.mondotimes.com/1/world/us/22/1210[/url] XX

WDIV: [url]http://www.clickondetroit.com/contact/index.html[/url] XX

WJBK TV 2: [url]http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/myfox/pages/InsideFox/ContactUs?pageId=5.11[/url] XX

WWJ TV 62 [url]http://wwjtv.com/contact[/url] XX

[size=[font="Times New Roman"]WXYZ TV 7: [/font]talkback@wxyz.com ]XX

DanM

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote elsewhere:
There are 7 confirmed plus guests currently with two weeks to go. I'll change the date to TBA until further notice.
A few confirmations came in recently and quickly. I feel confident the trend will put us into "healthy turnout" territory, so please keep the date at April 12th to minimize disruption.

Thanks for your quick response.

DanM

imported post

Venator reminded me of two concerns about the April 12th date. It is Easter Sunday, andmany folks may not be able to make it due to travelorotherscheduled activities. Also, the weather during April can still turn cold and ugly unpredictably, which is a concern for outside events.

I agree that these concerns are significant, so I'm going to change the date. In reviewing the other MOC events, and in keeping with the desire to keep events spaced apart by about three weeksand off of major holiday weekendsif possible, the next good dateis Sunday, July 12th.

This event will be rescheduled to July 12th. I don't think there are significant concerns to that weekend, but please let me know if I'm missing something.

DanM

imported post

LaVere wrote:
I'll be there maybe I can bring a few friends.

Can you repeat time and location.

Sunday, July 12th. Noon (12pm).

Full info is in the "Michigan Events Schedule Thread"

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/15478.html

PM SpringerXDacp thatyou are confirmed to attend this event with "+2" or "+3" orhowever many friends you are bringing.

Thanks.

DanM

imported post

Stand by for a date change on this event.

The covered pavilion at the park, which I plan on renting for us, is booked out to the first Sunday in August. TheSundays in August the pavilion is currently availableare the 9th, 16th, 23rd and 30th. We needguaranteed space to set-up, cook,eat, etc., so I'll pick one of those dates, starting with the earliest available when I get to the Rec dept offices.

I need to know from the confirmed and possible folks, what dates above are out of the question for you if any. I'll give a couple of days to see your responses, and then go from there. The rental is $50, so please definitely say something about these dates, if you have something to say,because I would hate to rent it and a bunch ofpeople who've signed up to attendcan't show on the new date.

Thanks!

Dan

Venator

imported post

DanM wrote:
Stand by for a date change on this event.

The covered pavilion at the park, which I plan on renting for us, is booked out to the first Sunday in August. TheSundays in August the pavilion is currently availableare the 9th, 16th, 23rd and 30th. We needguaranteed space to set-up, cook,eat, etc., so I'll pick one of those dates, starting with the earliest available when I get to the Rec dept offices.

I need to know from the confirmed and possible folks, what dates above are out of the question for you if any. I'll give a couple of days to see your responses, and then go from there. The rental is $50, so please definitely say something about these dates, if you have something to say,because I would hate to rent it and a bunch ofpeople who've signed up to attendcan't show on the new date.

Thanks!

Dan
The 9th is my birthday so that okay, if everyone buys me a gifts. The 16th is fine too.