• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Time OC

MMGoose

imported post

Well OC'ed for the first time today in Tooele,ut. Went to Cal-Ranch to pick up some stuff. Nobody said a word, no strange looks, it was great.

I have one question.

What is the rule/law for when you are in your car?

MM

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome to OCDO! :celebrate

If you do not have a concealed firearm permit, then your firearm must be unloaded and visible while in your vehicle, or unloaded and securely encased.

If you do have a permit, then youmay carryyour firearm in your vehiclehowever you want.

Also, when HB 357 becomes law in May, you will no longer need to worry about restrictions on pistols in your vehicle.

Just be careful around school zones without a permit. ;)

mqondo

imported post

Nice job. I will be there soon too hopefully. Just waiting on a Blackhawk Serpa to join me. Hopefully for my b-day, but if not, then I'll just go get one. I only have OC'd out in the woods where critters could get a piece of me, but hopefully I'll be OC'ing soon. :)

b1ack5mith

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Welcome to OCDO! :celebrate

If you do not have a concealed firearm permit, then your firearm must be unloaded and visible while in your vehicle, or unloaded and securely encased.

If you do have a permit, then youmay carryyour firearm in your vehiclehowever you want.

Also, when HB 357 becomes law in May, you will no longer need to worry about restrictions on pistols in your vehicle.

Just be careful around school zones without a permit. ;)
whoa so i totally missed out on this new law????? in may i will get to OC in my car!??!?! DUDE i plan on enlisting in the navy in june! ill miss out on all the fun! GAH

LovesHisXD45

imported post

MMGoose wrote:
Well OC'ed for the first time today in Tooele,ut. Went to Cal-Ranch to pick up some stuff. Nobody said a word, no strange looks, it was great.

I have one question.

What is the rule/law for when you are in your car?

MM
Hey there! :) Welcome to OCDO! I'm a fellow Tooele dweller, so maybe I'll run into you some time. I carry my XD 45 compact when I'm out and about. :)

Kevin

bmeldrum

imported post

Hey everyone-
I opened carried for the first time this weekend. I live in Lehi & carry a Springfield XD .40. It was a very pleasant experience with no problems. However, I did get eyeballed several times as I went to the American Fork/Lehi Wal-mart but no one stopped or questioned me so that was nice. My wife & I and the kids went out past Pelican Point (west mountain) on the west side of Utah lake & took it shooting for the first time and have to say it was fun & I have lots of practice if I want to hit something.

thx997303

imported post

Hmm, funny I didn't see you at wal mart, I was in wal mart way too many times today.

I was of course, OC'ing my SA XD9 Tactical.

Congrats on your first time and welcome to the forum!

bmeldrum

imported post

So Here ya go, this is what I look like when I open carry. I took the CCW class on March 21st now comes the waiting game 60-90days+. Oh well until then I'll enjoy my gosh darn given right to open carry!! (even when i get it i'll still probably open carry)

bmeldrum

imported post

Thanks, it just feels good. You know I’m 30yrs old and this just goes to show how (ignorant) I was about gun laws/rights. I had no idea one could open carry in Utah until I took the CCW class. It makes me wonder how many others are out there (citizens, LE’s etc) that are just as ignorant. I’m glad that I found & that there is a place I can come & talk with other oc’ers.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

bmeldrum wrote:
I had no idea one could open carry in Utah until I took the CCW class.
Wow. :shock: A lot of instructors will say open carry is unlawful with a concealed permit.

It's nice to hear you found a good one! Care to share your instructors name?

bmeldrum

imported post

It was at Cabela's and his name was Darwin McKee (former Utah Highway Patrol) was on aSWAT team (not sure with which department). He was really up to date on everything & told us how it is. He was really good.

He also told ussome of the things that one would want to say if ever involved in a shooting (i.e. felt threatened or for third part etc) he said you can tell the officer that you need 24-48hrs before making a report (most likely because one is usually in an emotional state, full of adrenaline etc) that way you can collect yourself so you don't say something that will come back to bite you in court.

For other encounters with LE when oc'ing w/out a permit he just said simply what others have said: have a low-key but firm approach, you can state the statute: 76-10-504/505 that this doesn't apply because it's neither concealed or loaded etc. Also that if the LE is not familiar with the laws than you could suggest that they speak with their duty sergeant or Lieutenant, & tocooperate with the LE as much as possible so as to not make the situation worse. For those with permits he said it's up to the permit holder whether he wants to carry concealed or open carry.

Overall he was a great instructor.

rpyne

imported post

bmeldrum wrote:
He also told ussome of the things that one would want to say if ever involved in a shooting (i.e. felt threatened or for third part etc) he said you can tell the officer that you need 24-48hrs before making a report (most likely because one is usually in an emotional state, full of adrenaline etc) that way you can collect yourself so you don't say something that will come back to bite you in court.

For other encounters with LE when oc'ing w/out a permit he just said simply what others have said: have a low-key but firm approach, you can state the statute: 76-10-504/505 that this doesn't apply because it's neither concealed or loaded etc. Also that if the LE is not familiar with the laws than you could suggest that they speak with their duty sergeant or Lieutenant, & tocooperate with the LE as much as possible so as to not make the situation worse. For those with permits he said it's up to the permit holder whether he wants to carry concealed or open carry.

Overall he was a great instructor.
Sounds like some excellent advise. I would also suggest that everyone watch this video with advise from both a criminal defense attorney and a police investigator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc&feature=player_embedded

Trafficman

imported post

Now I really think that picture would look so much better if the shirt was Red. It would really show off your weapon then.:p

Never open carried before. I'm a closet CC.