Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REALISTICALLY, what's the next handgun that you will purchase?

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA

Post imported post

just wondering..

Post imported post

I put in an order for a Springfield EMP on Friday. It will probably arrive in the next 4 months. Does that count?

Post imported post

i suppose it does!

i just bought a S&W 642 Airweight revolver (.38 special) yesterday, and i'm already trying to decide what my next purchase will be. just trying to see what other folks are eyeing at the moment..

Post imported post

Well, I've been looking at getting a Glock 21 here for awhile. Just waiting for NC to decide to send me back my tax return to help out with the bill.

Post imported post

mrmagooo13 wrote:
    Well, I've been looking at getting a Glock 21 here for awhile. Just waiting for NC to decide to send me back my tax return to help out with the bill.
    did you use the "mail-in method"?

i always use turbotax.com every year. takes about 40 minutes and the money is deposited into my checking account usually in 8-10 days.

:/

Banned

Post imported post

Got a S&W 642 POWER PORT PRO on order . Love snubbies looking for used 60s & 640s .

State Researcher

Post imported post

Walther PPS .40....er no wait, I just bought that lol. My NEXT handgun? Probably a custom 1911 worth a couple thousand dollars. I think I'm pretty set for handguns right now, so my next purchase will probably be something shiny to carry during formal occasions lol.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    SNIP my next purchase will probably be something shiny to carry during formal occasions lol.
    Brushed, not polished. Polished is gauche, these days.

Also, black leather holster. No brown after 6:00 pm.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    DreQo wrote:
    SNIP my next purchase will probably be something shiny to carry during formal occasions lol.
    Brushed, not polished. Polished is gauche, these days.

Also, black leather holster. No brown after 6:00 pm.
    Always black leather, of course. I do like some polished, but not the WHOLE thing. I promise it will be tasteful. I did see an all-gold Desert Eagle .50 AE at the gun show this weekend .

I'd like to have a nice piece to wear at my wedding, but my current girlfriend has repeatedly insisted that I not open carry at our wedding. Actually she just said no carry at all....well crap.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    SNIP Actually she just said no carry at all....well crap.
    Not even the bride across the threshold? Oh, my.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

I'm getting married in June and I have been officially allowed to carry if I would like (not openly). I probably won't, or perhaps at the ceremony but not the reception since I'll probably have a drink or three.

However, with a baby on the way I think my gun buying days have come to an end for the next couple of years. Oh well, I have more than I need but not as many as I want, so I guess I'll survive.

Post imported post

BRobb19 wrote:
    i always use turbotax.com every year. takes about 40 minutes and the money is deposited into my checking account usually in 8-10 days.
    Well, the tax return has arrived. Hopefully this means on Thursday I'll be making yet another trip down to Fuquay Gun & Gold to see what they have to offer.

Post imported post

Looking for a micro Desert Eagle right now. Handled one over the weekend and really liked the feel and concealability....great pocket gun.

Post imported post

G35 or G24(c)

One ofthelong slide .40 Glocks

Post imported post

Perhaps. I have a day to ponder on it. All my 1911 friends are trying to convince me to go that route. I'm definitely feeling a Glock, though. Other than price of ammo, why would you buy a .40 over a .45?

State Researcher

Post imported post

mrmagooo13 wrote:
    Perhaps. I have a day to ponder on it. All my 1911 friends are trying to convince me to go that route. I'm definitely feeling a Glock, though. Other than price of ammo, why would you buy a .40 over a .45?
    Ammo capacity, handgun size, and bullet velocity are my 3 biggest reasons. A .40 caliber handgun can carry more rounds as a same-sized .45, and the .40 is a much faster round. I prefer the higher velocity because it increases penetration when considering layers of clothing. Thats just me, though.

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    mrmagooo13 wrote:
    Ammo capacity, handgun size, and bullet velocity are my 3 biggest reasons. A .40 caliber handgun can carry more rounds as a same-sized .45, and the .40 is a much faster round. I prefer the higher velocity because it increases penetration when considering layers of clothing. Thats just me, though.
    I wouldn't. Even accounting for the price of ammo I wouldn't. Luckily I'm a handloader, so .40 and .45 are about the same price to handload. I don't handload .40 anyway, I'm not a fan.

I'm sure the .40 is a fine cartridge and people like it. Its not for me though. I'm saddled with one at work, I'm not getting one for my off hours.

If you are feeling Glockish, get a .45ACP Glock.

Post imported post

Thanks for the replies. All good information.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Landric wrote:
    DreQo wrote:
    mrmagooo13 wrote:
    I wouldn't. Even accounting for the price of ammo I wouldn't. Luckily I'm a handloader, so .40 and .45 are about the same price to handload. I don't handload .40 anyway, I'm not a fan.

I'm sure the .40 is a fine cartridge and people like it. Its not for me though. I'm saddled with one at work, I'm not getting one for my off hours.

If you are feeling Glockish, get a .45ACP Glock.

What specific attributes draw you towards the .45?

Post imported post

Less felt recoil (in my opinion, but I'm far from the only person with it), lower pressure round, more accurate in my hands, more fun to handload for, long term track record, overall just a more pleasant shooting experience (for me).

I'm not one of those people who thinks the .40 is a fad, I expect its here to stay. I don't personally care for it, and IMO, it doesn't do anything I can't do with a 9x19mm or .45ACP, so why add yet another cartridge that I either have to load ammo for or buy ammo for, especially if I don't enjoy shooting it?

State Researcher

Post imported post

Landric wrote:
    Less felt recoil (in my opinion, but I'm far from the only person with it), lower pressure round, more accurate in my hands, more fun to handload for, long term track record, overall just a more pleasant shooting experience (for me).

I'm not one of those people who thinks the .40 is a fad, I expect its here to stay. I don't personally care for it, and IMO, it doesn't do anything I can't do with a 9x19mm or .45ACP, so why add yet another cartridge that I either have to load ammo for or buy ammo for, especially if I don't enjoy shooting it?

Good points. I agree with the .40 having more felt recoil. I call it the .40 flip, lol. I actually came across the .40 after failing to find the handgun I wanted in 9mm. It's really grown on me, though. You're right that the .40 doesn't do anything that the 9mm or .45 couldn't do, but I see it as the .40 can do what the 9mm AND .45 do.

It's nice to hear some intelligent, clearly expressed opinions from people .

Post imported post

I have tried multiple handguns in .40, and I've really tried to like it. It makes a lot of sense on paper (which is probably why I'm stuck with one at work), I just don't like it. Of all the handguns I've tried, I liked the S&W M&P40 and the Glock 22 the most. The S&W had a lot less felt recoil than the Glock, but I'd still rather have a .45ACP in either M&P or Glock.

Post imported post

Next handgun I'm buying:

Walther PPS in 9mm for my wife.

Next handgun I'm buying for myself:

Glock 38.

Post imported post

Probably a GLOCK 20SF and/or 29SF.

Sold off my G20 recently to make room.

Of course, if a nice Smith revolver comes along first.... gawd, it's hard to pass those up...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast