• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What rights do people exercise on a daily basis?

EM87

imported post

I have a good friend who is very anti-gun. He thinks it's absolutely ridiculous that I've started carrying. He asks me regularly why I carry and I always respond with different reasons and give him scenarios in which it would save lives if there was someone carrying in the vicinity. As many reasons and scenarios as I give him, he keeps asking the same question like I didn't just mention 10 reasons already.

One of my answers yesterday was, "Because it's my right and I exercise it."

He came back in a mocking tone with, "What other rights do you exercise?", implying that OCing was the only one of my rights that I cared about enough to exercise.

This really frustrates me.

*polite rant over, post begins*

My question is this; what rights do people exercise daily that they may take for granted? What are those everyday rights that we exercise but just don't think about because we haven't fought for them?

I would really like to be able to tell my friend that I exercise my rights daily and that he does as well.

Michigander

imported post

Earlier today, I was actually talking about this with a friend of mine who grew up in Iraq, who spoke of rights that he gained when he moved here.

Freedom of religion or lack thereof, freedom of the press (the alternative press which has not been taken over) free speech, the right to travel among the country without significant limitations, the right to deny the government the ability to search you or detain you without probable cause, the right to vote for puppet presidential candidates, and some legit ones locally. These things are not by any means reality in many other countries, and all too many complacent fools in the US don't even value these rights.

On the topic of your friend, I am sorry to hear that. In my own personal life, I couldn't manage to keep a friend like that.

EM87

imported post

Thanks for the reply, I'm glad you could think of so many! I hope that there will be many more posted here as well.

I'll be working to instill in my friend the knowledge needed to understand that guns are not just for criminals (unlawfully) and law enforcement. I am hoping that once I show him that I'm serious about carrying he will at least accept my decision and be civil about it.

Bronson

imported post

Michigander wrote:
the right to vote for puppet presidential candidates
From Bush vs. Gore

The individual citizen has no federal constitutional right to vote for electors for the President of the United States unless and until the state legislature chooses a statewide election as the means to implement its power to appoint members of the Electoral College.

Bronson

No1

Banned
imported post

Bronson wrote:
Michigander wrote:
the right to vote for puppet presidential candidates
From Bush vs. Gore

The individual citizen has no federal constitutional right to vote for electors for the President of the United States unless and until the state legislature chooses a statewide election as the means to implement its power to appoint members of the Electoral College.

Bronson
+1

mastiff69

imported post

EM87 Hey got a good idea bring your friend to a picnic, maybe then he will see the whole truth.

Having a picnic in Battle Creek on May 24 at friendship park.

Just don't tell him it is a OC picnic:celebrate

DanM

imported post

EM87 wrote:
...he keeps asking the same question like I didn't just mention 10 reasons already...
Next time he asks the question, why not just tell him, "We've been over this before. Obviously, you don't accept my reasons. Time to get over it and move on."?

EM87

imported post

DanM wrote:
EM87 wrote:
...he keeps asking the same question like I didn't just mention 10 reasons already...
Next time he asks the question, why not just tell him, "We've been over this before.  Obviously, you don't accept my reasons.  Time to get over it and move on."?

I might have to, but I feel like I can do a better job of explaining my reasons before I do that. When I've explained them all in their entirety at least a few times (so he remembers), that will be what I say.

EM87

imported post

mastiff69 wrote:
EM87 Hey got a good idea bring your friend to a picnic, maybe then he will see the whole truth.

Having a picnic in Battle Creek on May 24 at friendship park.

Just  don't  tell him it is a OC picnic:celebrate 

I forgot to mention, I'm planning on attending that picnic. Will I bring my friend? Most likely not. But I'll be there. I don't think it would do any good to put him around a lot of guns. He'd just think we were all crazy, instead of just me.

jayspapa

imported post

I bet he is one who believes you should let the police handle it ( whatever IT is ) . You might inform him that the police have no duty to protect him or anyone else as an individual .

Also remind him of what happened with the police during the Rodney King riots or what about what happened in La. during the flooding .In both cases most of the police left the citizens to defend for themselves.

I'm not trying to bash leos , but the examples I gave show that we really are on our own many times when we need help the most.