• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moved to LA from FLA, some questions...

Korg

imported post

In Tampa Fl, my friends and I would often spend weeknights at the range. We'd bring m4's, ak's, 30 round clips, half a dozen handguns, and could even rent fully automatic. One particular range was 50 cal friendly, indoors (www.knightshooting.com).

I recently took a job out here in LA. I can't even find a range? Which I suppose is my first question.

Second, after reading a bit, I see California is listed as Rural open carry, but some here have been charged for carrying to close to schools (while in the city?).

And last, did I read that any center file rifle with a re-loadable clip, with a capacity greater than 10, is banned as an Assault Rifle? And a felony to possess?!?

HELP?

Thanks!

Decoligny

imported post

Korg wrote:
In Tampa Fl, my friends and I would often spend weeknights at the range. We'd bring m4's, ak's, 30 round clips, half a dozen handguns, and could even rent fully automatic. One particular range was 50 cal friendly, indoors (http://www.knightshooting.com).

I recently took a job out here in LA. I can't even find a range? Which I suppose is my first question.

Second, after reading a bit, I see California is listed as Rural open carry, but some here have been charged for carrying to close to schools (while in the city?).

And last, did I read that any center file rifle with a re-loadable clip, with a capacity greater than 10, is banned as an Assault Rifle? And a felony to possess?!?

HELP?

Thanks!

1. California has it's own Gun Free School Zone Law. If you open carry a gun within 1,000 feet of a K-12 school zone, you can be arrested and charged and possibly convicted.

2. If you bring ANY magazine into California that has a capacity to hold more than 10 rounds, you can be arrested, charged and convicted.

3. The key is "detachable" magazine, not "re-loadable". Any firearm that doesn't have a re-loadable magazine is useless when the rounds are expended. But yes, a center-fire rifle with a regular magazine release, if it has a +10 magazine in it is by CA ;aw definition an "Assault Weapon". The best source for questions on the legalities oflog arms and how to keep them configured so they are not considered "Assault Weapons" by CA law is Calguns.net.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Decoligny wrote:
1. California has it's own Gun Free School Zone Law. If you open carry a gun within 1,000 feet of a K-12 school zone, you can be arrested and charged and possibly convicted.

Applies to handguns only (anything with less than an 18" barrel).

2. If you bring ANY magazine into California that has a capacity to hold more than 10 rounds, you can be arrested, charged and convicted.

Unless those "large capacity" magazines were disassembled into spare parts, and remain that way until they leave CA (or we repeal the stupid law).

3. The key is "detachable" magazine, not "re-loadable". Any firearm that doesn't have a re-loadable magazine is useless when the rounds are expended. But yes, a center-fire rifle with a regular magazine release, if it has a +10 magazine in it is by CA ;aw definition an "Assault Weapon". The best source for questions on the legalities oflog arms and how to keep them configured so they are not considered "Assault Weapons" by CA law is Calguns.net.

I think you got this mixed up a bit. It's any center-fire rifle with a detachable mag AND certain other features is an AW. If the mag is fixed, anything over 10 rounds is an AW.
The best way to understand CA "assault weapon" laws is to reference the CalGuns.net AW ID Flow Chart.

There's no easy way to understand CA handgun laws, but CaliforniaOpenCarry.org is a good place for resources (just keep in mind the police agency memos contain some FUD).

Korg

imported post

Thanks for all the replies guys. That AW Flow chart is great.

Now let me ask this, if I was found to be in possession of an M4 with a pistol grip, telescoping stock. An AK with a folding stock, and 20 or 30 round clips. What charges could the state levy against me and what's the potential sentence?

If I brought these items into the state unaware of the law, once I learned about the AW ban, what would the proper procedure be? Turn the guns in??

Korg

imported post

Ohh yeah, about the school zone restriction, what I meant to say was it seemed people were getting charged in violation of that zone, yet, while in areas of heavily populated cities? I thought CA was rural only? Rural is defined by what?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Korg wrote:
Ohh yeah, about the school zone restriction, what I meant to say was it seemed people were getting charged in violation of that zone, yet, while in areas of heavily populated cities? I thought CA was rural only? Rural is defined by what?
The owners of this site only consider loaded Open Carry to qualify for their chart. As you'll read in PC 12031, loaded weapons are prohibited in public places that are in incorporated areas or in prohibited portions of unincorporated areas. Of course, now you need to know what is considered "incorporated" and what is a "prohibited area."

Generally, anything outside of city limits is unincorporated (there are exceptions, so know the area before loading up).

Prohibited portions of unincorporated areas would include any place where the county says you can't carry loaded, or where the county has prohibited discharge of a firearm.

pullnshoot25

imported post

Korg wrote:
Thanks for all the replies guys. That AW Flow chart is great.

Now let me ask this, if I was found to be in possession of an M4 with a pistol grip, telescoping stock. An AK with a folding stock, and 20 or 30 round clips. What charges could the state levy against me and what's the potential sentence?

If I brought these items into the state unaware of the law, once I learned about the AW ban, what would the proper procedure be? Turn the guns in??
Depends on the features present, but KA courts will have a fun time sodomizing you with all of that. Can't list all the charges but the flow chart should help in mapping your CourtLand Adventure.

cato

imported post

Korg wrote:
What charges could the state levy against me and what's the potential sentence?

felony, 6 years state prison, loss of gun and voting rights or as an infraction withsurrender of your property for destruction (or anything in between - Oh, and about $50,000 + in legal fees).

If you brought something into the state the safest course of action is to have an attorney surrender the firearms and mags to LE.

Join Calguns.net and get involved.

Decoligny

imported post

cato wrote:
Korg wrote:
What charges could the state levy against me and what's the potential sentence?

felony, 6 years state prison, loss of gun and voting rights or as an infraction withsurrender of your property for destruction (or anything in between - Oh, and about $50,000 + in legal fees).

If you brought something into the state the safest course of action is to have an attorney surrender the firearms and mags to LE.

Join Calguns.net and get involved.
If it is a listed Assault Weapon do just that, get an attorney and turn in to L.E.

If it is not a listed A.W. and you can take it apart, thus making it no longer an assault weapon, do that.

Talk to the A.W./O.L.L. experts at Calguns.Net, they will be able to advise you on exactly how to do whatever is necessary.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

So, before you make the mistake of importing them, you should leave them with someone you trust in your home state, or just sell them before moving.

In any case, I would avoid posting any details that might lead to incriminating yourself.

Korg

imported post

No worries. I arrived by plane to a fully furnished place. Everything I own is in storage in Florida. I was just curious as to what the ramifications could have been had I not began to research (what landed me here in the first place).