• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sportsman's Warehouse

longbowhunter

imported post

Anyone else experience this? I'm new to this forum so this may have been posted already.

Dropped by Sportsman's Warehouse in Nampa today, to see what kind of deals they might have. I didn't know for sure if they allowed open carry, so I went in first to ask. The guy at the front of the store "informed" me that I could, but I had to get the clerk at the license desk to inspect my firearm, empty it, hold my ammo, tag the firearm and make sure it was safe.

I don't think so. I left. Won't be back to any of their stores. You would think a store which supposedly supports the 2nd Amendment would be more accepting of this.

old dog

imported post

Sportsman's Warehouse in Chattanooga has sign welcoming customers who carry but insists gun MUST stay holstered.

If you're looking for a holster or any such accessory that necessitates handling a gun that gun must be checked by store personnel.

NightOwl

imported post

They're listed as friendly in the list sticked at the top of the forum. Might be worth a quick call to corporate to find out what's really going on. Possibly some misinformed employees.

Vandal

imported post

It could also be that the Nampa store is being liquidated for closure. Usually when a store is doing that, SW corporate hires a different company to take over the store.

Seeing as the Store in Nampa is being closed as soon as they can get all of their over-priced stuff off the shelves, they will be gone. IMO this is a non-issue right now as you can OC in the other Sportsman's Warehouse locations.

Vandal

imported post

Old Dog,

Or, and I have done this a lot, have them pull an identical gun off the shelf for you to fondle.

That way you don't have to take off your defensive piece, unload play with the holsters, reload then reholster. It significantly lessens the risk of a ND on your part.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

According to the VP Matthew French of Sportsman Warehouse (801-304-5661 x44361) As long as the weapon remains holstered you do not have to check the weapon at the front desk. If the weapon is being fitted for accessories the the weapon must be unloaded and checked in (SAME AS CABELA'S).

longbowhunter

imported post

M1Gunr - interesting feedback. I am assuming you called the VP and spoke with him? I may also give him a call just to reinforce the situation I encountered.

Maybe I just met a disgruntled employee at one of the stores being shut down, but he was very curt with his response. It was a definite impression that he didn't support OC personally, and/or professionally (in his employee role).

I spent a fair amount of money in their establishment this past year, but not anymore.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Many of the Sportmans are changing hands this year. The others were bought up by a Canadian company UFA co-op.
I have encountered the holstered issue with employees during the summer at the mention of the VP's name the issue resolved itself.

Updated info:
News March 10, 2009 Stuart Utgaard, the Chairman and CEO of Sportsman's Warehouse Holdings, today announced that the company is taking two major actions to improve liquidity.

1. 23 stores are being liquidated to reduce bank debt.

• Aurora, CO • Coon Rapids, MN • DePere, WI • Henderson, NV • Lafayette, IN • Las Cruces, NM • Las Vegas, NV • Legacy, TX • Memphis, TN • Nampa, ID • New Berlin, WI • Oklahoma City, OK • Pittsburgh, PA • Pocatello, ID • Roanoke, VA • Rogers, AR • Round Rock, TX • St. Cloud, MN • Sioux Falls, SD • Southaven, MS • Visalia, CA • Wichita, KS • Woodbury, MN

2. 15 stores are being sold to UFA Co-op.

• Bend, OR • Bozeman, MT • Burlington, WA • Coeur d’Alene, ID • Fargo, ND • Federal Way, WA • Helena, MT • Kennewick, WA • Lacey, WA • Missoula, MT • Portland, OR • Salem, OR • Silverdale, WA • Spokane, WA • Vancouver, WA

It is hoped that these actions will enable the firm to go forward as a viable entity with approximately 2,300 employees. Sportsman's Warehouse is a leading outdoor retailer of sporting goods headquartered in Midvale, Utah.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

guys. do a search before you ask questions that have been beaten to death. ;)

the people at sportsmans are notorious for not knowing their own policies. unless with the recent sale of some of them it's changed cause of the Canadians that policy the OP talked about is if you want to have your gun serviced or worked on. otherwise open carry. i personally helped resolve this issue several years ago along with also getting Cabela's to change their policy... Sportsmans never has banned OC... nor do they require you to unload or other BS... that is only if your gun is going to leave it's holster (gunsmithing)...
grow some balls and make some calls to corporate if you're unhappy!

sorry, i'm just tired of this same question being asked no joke, like 20 times in the last two years or so... so no offense to the OP!

longbowhunter

imported post

Wow. Have a bad day?

I posted for the first time the other day on this forum, but apparently I broke some sort of unwritten-gotta-read-every-post-or-search-before-you-speak code.

I was carrying at the time and asked before I entered the store as there happened to be an employee outside. I was not purchasing a holster or having the firearm serviced. Wouldn't buy a holster there, and would not have my firearm serviced there. Just wanted to shop.

Wow. Just wow.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

longbowhunter wrote:
Wow. Have a bad day?
Na, he's just "to the point" about things. No malice intended I'm sure. It's just many of us have done lots of research, phone calls, letters, ect and made an effort to get this information posted so you and others can easily use it. It can get frustrating to have to retype all this info time and time again. Pre-question searches are not so much a rule here so much as it's general "internet etiquette" on any forum you go to.

Welcome to OCDO. Always glad to have new supporters. I suggest next time not going in and asking first; just simply wear your sidearm and go about your normal daily business. If someone has a real problem, I'm sure they'll let you know and it can be a great learning experience for the both of you.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

longbowhunter wrote:
Wow. Have a bad day?

I posted for the first time the other day on this forum, but apparently I broke some sort of unwritten-gotta-read-every-post-or-search-before-you-speak code.

I was carrying at the time and asked before I entered the store as there happened to be an employee outside. I was not purchasing a holster or having the firearm serviced. Wouldn't buy a holster there, and would not have my firearm serviced there. Just wanted to shop.

Wow. Just wow.
No worries longbow! I'm usually blunt and to the point, I should have realized it wouldn't have been taken as well by those who don't know me.

I think Indianaboy summarized my views well. I meant no insult but we'd all be more efficient and accomplish more if we help each other out, which includes searching for topics so I don't have to post or re-re-re-re-re-re post the same thing. This frees up time for other things. I'm sure you can see my point of view.... again, no ill-will intended. I'm glad you're here and not on some hippy anti-gun site!!! :D

smoking357

Banned
imported post

longbowhunter wrote:
Wow. Have a bad day?

Knock off the feelings crap. The duty to research prior posts before asking isn't novel to this forum. It's been around since the gophers. Other boards slam you if you haven't used the "search" function. It's polite to note that a search was attempted prior to asking the question.

I am so sick of seeing this country have its men become feelings-conscious and sensitive, being offended by the "tone" of words.

America 1809 would kick the crap out of America 2009.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

smoking357 wrote
Knock off the feelings crap.......

I am so sick of seeing this country have its men become feelings-conscious and sensitive, being offended by the "tone" of words.
Get your feelings hurt? ;)

Men becoming "feeling-conscious" is a good thing, and manners in society have ALWAYS been demanded, probably less so now then in the old west you speak of.

I have a feeling people back then were more "feeling conscious", polite, and mannered just for fear of someone manning up and putting them in their place. When did someone decide that behind a keyboard, manners don't matter anymore and it's acceptable to present your views without regard to how someone will take it or react? This is not in reference to IdahoCorsair as I pointed out he is just being to the point. You on the other hand seem offended that any of us would apologize to a new member and try to assure we didn't offend them. I doubt you'd be as rude to my face, and certainly not the second time.

As a public internet forum, I think its even more important to be polite. You may forget what I say to your face a week from now, but the public will judge us by what we say here for years to come.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

IndianaBoy79 wrote:
This is not in reference to IdahoCorsair as I pointed out he is just being to the point. You on the other hand seem offended that any of us would apologize to a new member and try to assure we didn't offend them. I doubt you'd be as rude to my face, and certainly not the second time.

My comments weren't sent your way, so I don't know why you think I'm messin' in your kitchen.

Saint

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
longbowhunter wrote:
Wow. Have a bad day?

Knock off the feelings crap. The duty to research prior posts before asking isn't novel to this forum. It's been around since the gophers. Other boards slam you if you haven't used the "search" function. It's polite to note that a search was attempted prior to asking the question.

America 1809 would kick the crap out of America 2009.
Smoking357:

I agree that he should have done his research before hand. I think Idahocorsair did a good job of addressing that. However, there is nothing wrong with being polite and allowing for newbies to make mistakes. Get over your macho attitude and realize that we are all here for the same reason and that we should be helping one another, not picking fights over stupid crap.

Longbow:

Don't get upset when you are corrected about your actions on this forum. We are here to help and support one another, but there is a code of etiquette. Look around the forums before you start posting. Get a feel for what we are about and the kind of research that has already gone into these situations. Then, after you are informed, feel free to join the discussions and ask questions as necessary.

IndianaBoy79

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
IndianaBoy79 wrote:
This is not in reference to IdahoCorsair as I pointed out he is just being to the point. You on the other hand seem offended that any of us would apologize to a new member and try to assure we didn't offend them. I doubt you'd be as rude to my face, and certainly not the second time.

My comments weren't sent your way, so I don't know why you think I'm messin' in your kitchen.
Upon re-reading, I probably was less diplomatic than I would normally be, but I was trying real hard to not to be too sensitive :celebrate

longbowhunter

imported post

Corrected for my actions? What actions? Making mistakes? You're joking right?

I just posted to the forum, in an affable manner, an item I thought was an interesting topic for discussion. Please don't assume you can take me to task without knowing me, and that I will just step in line and snap-to like some unlettered recruit.

Nor should you assume that becoming condescending toward me because someone hasn't spend hours perusing a forum for the "right answer" is the correct response either regarding "etiquette".

I think I'll free up some time now and vacate this forum for good. First post earlier in the week, last post today. I have better things to do with my time.

Maddog

imported post

I agree longbowhunter. This makes the second thread that I have watched on this site. As an OCer, a tactical trainer, and a USPSA competitor, I thought this web site might be a great place to hang out but I am absolutely dumbfounded by the unbelievable childish narcisism I've found here. Amazing!