• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What are the repercussions of an accidental discharge?

EM87

imported post

I'm curious- what kind of trouble can you get in if you have an accidental discharge in a public place (without anyone getting hurt)?

Is this something that the law will always punish a person for (speaking as if it's the first (and hopefully only) time that this has happened to someone), or is it possible that they would somehow be lenient?

Being new to carrying, I need to know the risks of a really unlucky day.

On another note, I want to make sure that I'm not posting too many new (and possibly boring) questions. I feel that since this is a forum for the subject of OC, it's fun for people to read new posts (I know I enjoy reading them) but I also want to make sure I'm not over-posting. I try to look up old posts to make sure that I don't ask something that's already been asked.

Thanks for all the help and answers you all have given me so far - I really appreciate the input!

Michigander

imported post

It's no problem with the multiple threads, but remember that anyone who has been around a while and has lots of posts will be more than happy to answer questions such as this by PM. Also keep in mind that you can ask multiple questions in each thread.

On the subject you asked, it depends. If you, for example, act negligently, and shoot a hole in your floor, and no one gets hurt, and no one outside of your house even knows, nothing will happen.

If on the other hand, you carry an unsafe gun like the CZ52 I had, and you have it chambered, and it falls on the ground, you might end up with a hole in your leg and the better part of a year recovering like I did, with no penalty because the police see what happened and don't wish to be jerks.

If someone gets hurt or killed, or if someone complains and the police go after you, you could get in serious trouble. It all depends, but remember, there is NEVER an excuse for a negligent discharge. Ever.

The first thing you have to ask yourself is is your gun extraordinarily drop safe? If it isn't, DON'T keep a round in the chamber. Whether it is or not, ALWAYS follow the 4 rules.

1-All guns are always loaded.

2- Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are actually firing.

3- Never allow the muzzle to cover anything you are not willing to destroy.

4- Always be sure of your target, and what is beyond it. This applies to "dry firing" as well, since all guns are always loaded.

If you follow these 4 rules at all times, with no exceptions ever, you won't have any negligent discharges. Remember, your life depends on it, so don't screw around. :exclaim:

Michigander

imported post

Many, many people tried to tell me that my CZ52 incident was an "accidental" discharge. But I actually disagree. Even an unsafe gun cannot go off by itself, it requires human intervention.

EM87

imported post

Michigander wrote:
The first thing you have to ask yourself is is your gun extraordinarily drop safe? If it isn't, DON'T keep a round in the chamber. Whether it is or not, ALWAYS follow the 4 rules.

1-All guns are always loaded.

2- Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are actually firing.

3- Never allow the muzzle to cover anything you are not willing to destroy.

4- Always be sure of your target, and what is beyond it. This applies to "dry firing" as well, since all guns are always loaded.

If you follow these 4 rules at all times, with no exceptions ever, you won't have any negligent discharges. Remember, your life depends on it, so don't screw around. :exclaim:

Michigander, thanks for the rules. I follow them religiously.

I carry a glock 22 in a Blackhawk Serpa CQC retention holster, condition one (or condition zero, if you will, since there's no external safety to engage). It's safe in the holster because the internal safeties prevent it from going off unless I pull the trigger, which can't be touched when it's in the holster. Also on that note, it won't discharge if I drop it because of those same safeties (unless the trigger happens to catch on something on the way down- extremely unlikely). *Sidenote* I understand that I shouldn't rely on the safeties working like they should. *end sidenote* I wouldn't have it out of its holster in public anyway because there's absolutely no reason for that (not to mention it's illegal), so I'm not worried about it discharging.

EM87

imported post

Bronson wrote:
Perhaps if a meteor fell from the heavens and struck your pistol causing it to fire ...that would be an accidental discharge :p

Bronson

If I got hit with I meteor from outer space I don't think I'd be worried about an accidental discharge anymore... :p

SpringerXDacp

imported post

EM87 wrote:
Bronson wrote:
Perhaps if a meteor fell from the heavens and struck your pistol causing it to fire ...that would be an accidental discharge :p

Bronson

If I got hit with I meteor from outer space I don't think I'd be worried about an accidental discharge anymore... :p
LMAO :lol:

SpringerXDacp

imported post

EM87 wrote:
SNIP

Michigander, thanks for the rules. I follow them religiously.

I carry a glock 22 in a Blackhawk Serpa CQC retention holster, condition one (or condition zero, if you will, since there's no external safety to engage). It's safe in the holster because the internal safeties prevent it from going off unless I pull the trigger, which can't be touched when it's in the holster. Also on that note, it won't discharge if I drop it because of those same safeties (unless the trigger happens to catch on something on the way down- extremely unlikely). *Sidenote* I understand that I shouldn't rely on the safeties working like they should. *end sidenote* I wouldn't have it out of its holster in public anyway because there's absolutely no reason for that (not to mention it's illegal), so I'm not worried about it discharging.
Most of the ND's from Glocks I've read about occurred during the attempted holstering of the gun. Some, for example,were due to a coats drawstring anda holster safety strap (thumbbreak) that inadvertently slid into the trigger guard while holstering.

EM87

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Most of the ND's from Glocks I've read about occurred during the attempted holstering of the gun.  Some, for example, were due to a coats drawstring and a holster safety strap (thumbbreak) that inadvertently slid into the trigger guard while holstering.

Thanks for making me aware of that. I'll be more conscious of that sort of thing now.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

EM87 wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
Most of the ND's from Glocks I've read about occurred during the attempted holstering of the gun. Some, for example,were due to a coats drawstring anda holster safety strap (thumbbreak) that inadvertently slid into the trigger guard while holstering.

Thanks for making me aware of that. I'll be more conscious of that sort of thing now.
Belt Holster Tech Gear Level II w/SR Loop

This the Blade-Tech I use for my Glock. Even though it's an excellent holster, you still need to be very careful when holstering. Once the muzzle is in the holster you need to removeyour index fingeralong the slide or the top-edge of the holster hits and forces the finger into the trigger guard-I experienced this many times during practice, unloaded of course. Unfortunately, the safety strap, when released, does not always spring to the right to clear the top of the holster, so you have to be careful that the strap does not find its way into the trigger guard.

EM87

imported post

I suppose that's one reason I like the Serpa. I don't worry about the flap getting in the way when I reholster. I was out shooting with the guys for about 4 hours today, so there was a lot of drawing and re-holstering going on. I'm very comfortable with it. Shot some clays too, great fun!

SpringerXDacp

imported post

EM87 wrote:
I suppose that's one reason I like the Serpa. I don't worry about the flap getting in the way when I reholster. I was out shooting with the guys for about 4 hours today, so there was a lot of drawing and re-holstering going on. I'm very comfortable with it. Shot some clays too, great fun!
The Serpa was at the top of my wish list after buying the Glock 21 with Pic Rail. Unfortunately, the only Serpa available for G21's, other than some Blackhawk thigh rigs, are for those with the Glock Rail and not the Pic Rail. I've read somewhere, maybe here, that someone took a dremel to Serpa for a G21to fit his pic rail-I don't think I'm going to do that anytime soon.