• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart Carry Incident

SDguy

imported post

A relative who works at the Rapid City, SD Walmart relayed this to me. He was present so is telling me what he personally saw. This took place on March 26, 2009.

Several Rapid City police cars and the sheriffs department arrives to the front of the Walmart in a hurry. They station officers at all the exits while other officers enter the store looking for someone.

My relative hears from other Walmart employees that someone called the police reporting a Man With A Gun in the store.

The police continue their search and finally spot a particular individual pushing a cart of groceries out the of store after paying. The police physically attack the guy (A clean cut man acting totally normal) taking him to the ground and cuffing him.

Eventually they get him to his feet in front of a crowd of folks leaving the store. After a few minutes of discussion they determine he has a valid concealed carry permit for the firearm on his hip which they took from him during the takedown.

The guy is totally legal and cooperative in spite of the rough and undeserved physical treatment. My relative goes up to the guy and talks to him about filing a complaint. My relative is willing to speak on his behalf as a witness to the police action which was excessive. The guy says he needs to go meet the officers at a remote area of the parking lot before they will give him his gun back.

My relative who is also a regular concealed weapons carrier is filing a complaint with the Rapid City police department over what he saw.

Your comments are welcome.

SDguy

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Encourage the LAC victim to recount his story here.

I am looking for him so I can talk to him directly. I would also like to have him participate in the open carry BBQ I want to get going this summer here in the Rapid City area. (See my other post in the South Dakota forum)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If SD has a Sunshine/Freedom of Information/Open Government statute, you could file a request for all records related to the incident.

SDguy

imported post

Citizen wrote:
If SD has a Sunshine/Freedom of Information/Open Government statute, you could file a request for all records related to the incident.

No arrest was made therefore it is doubtful that anything was filed other than perhaps an officers contact report if even that much.

I will find out when we get the reply to our complaint or make another contact following up on our complaint.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

SDguy wrote:
Citizen wrote:
No arrest was made therefore it is doubtful that anything was filed other than perhaps an officers contact report if even that much.

I will find out when we get the reply to our complaint or make another contact following up on our complaint.
The 'contact' was violent and non-consensual, "The police physically attack the guy... taking him to the ground and cuffing him." There had better be some outrage.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

AbNo wrote:
FWIW, most Wal-marts have cameras on the parking lot...
And lots of them in the store too.

Maybe he can obtain the tapes of the man's "threatening" behavior.

nejibanana

imported post

I work there, never heard about this though. What dept. does your relative work in? If you don't mind me asking, figure I might know him/her.

SDguy

imported post

nejibanana wrote:
I work there, never heard about this though. What dept. does your relative work in? If you don't mind me asking, figure I might know him/her.
Since I do not know you yet I am not comfortable disclosing who we are at this time. Can't be too careful these days.

SDguy

imported post

TheBundo wrote:
Can't anyone OC in SD, even without a CCW?

Yes, South Dakota has no law preventing open carry and there is no need for a permit to open carry.

The CCW not only allows you to concealed carry but allows you to purchase a handgun and take it with you at the time of purchase.

My only concern with South Dakota is that we do not have state premption so a few local communities have passed some anti carry laws which apply to carrying at the fair or the civic center and some city parks. These are relatively new local laws passed by the cities of Sioux Falls and Rapid City.

suntzu

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
It seems cops across the country are on the attack.

When will we finally see them as the standing army the Founding Fathers warened us about?
they already are the standing army our founding fathers warned about..

they are out of control everywhere....everyone who can should sue--and sue them often.

suntzu

imported post

SDguy wrote:
A relative who works at the Rapid City, SD Walmart relayed this to me. He was present so is telling me what he personally saw. This took place on March 26, 2009.

Several Rapid City police cars and the sheriffs department arrives to the front of the Walmart in a hurry. They station officers at all the exits while other officers enter the store looking for someone.

My relative hears from other Walmart employees that someone called the police reporting a Man With A Gun in the store.

The police continue their search and finally spot a particular individual pushing a cart of groceries out the of store after paying. The police physically attack the guy (A clean cut man acting totally normal) taking him to the ground and cuffing him.

Eventually they get him to his feet in front of a crowd of folks leaving the store. After a few minutes of discussion they determine he has a valid concealed carry permit for the firearm on his hip which they took from him during the takedown.

The guy is totally legal and cooperative in spite of the rough and undeserved physical treatment. My relative goes up to the guy and talks to him about filing a complaint. My relative is willing to speak on his behalf as a witness to the police action which was excessive. The guy says he needs to go meet the officers at a remote area of the parking lot before they will give him his gun back.

My relative who is also a regular concealed weapons carrier is filing a complaint with the Rapid City police department over what he saw.

Your comments are welcome.
my advice is that the person who was attacked should...1. lawyer up. 2. Sue the city into the dirt...3. file assault charges against the police involved...4 get everyone who witnessed the attack to file a complaint with the city...

the police need much more oversight and the out of control rambo types who staff law enforcement anymore need to be put in jail.

GotCoffee

imported post

Was the guy attacked by the police a younger guy or older? Was he tall and skinny, long hair or short hairJust curious as I have a nephew that goes there all the time.