• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC'ing badly vs OC'ing

glockaholic

imported post

I noticed a guy CC'ing very badly in the store the other day. It looked like he had a full auto and at least two mags printing through his T-shirt. My opinion is that it is generally better to OC outright as opposed to CC'ing and doing it badly, especially when in public. Thoughts?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I alwaystemper it a little bit with the understanding that lots and lots of people will never even notice. Hell, more than half the time we OCers never noticed.

I recently observed three men in T-shirts and jeans printing. They were clean cut, and after they were done in thebusiness, they left in a black SUV with tinted windows. And n-o-b-o-d-y noticed.'Cept me.

Remember. Concealed means concealed. Not "completely undetectable by even the most experienced eyes." Although, that is not directly applicable here, I'm offeringit to help temper the reaction.

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

R a Z o R wrote:
The reason I googled open carry and found this forum is if someone spotted my weapon and screams he has a gun was to find out how to handle all situations .
That's the worst broken english that I have ever seen on this forum. I actually have no idea what that sentence means.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Yeah, 'cause that image had anything to do with this thread. :banghead:

Anyway, I always try to either completely conceal, or keep it open. Thank god we live in a state that doesn't make us criminals for printing through our t-shirts, though lol.

So when you guys see people carrying, how are they carrying? IWB holster? OWB holster? Mexican carry? I've seen a lot of "professionals" carrying in really stupid manners...

glockaholic

imported post

The only people I've noticed printing have clearly been carrying OWB. (Not to pick on OWB, because I carry concealed this way myself pretty often... it just requires the right shirt.)

I just think if you bothered to take the CC course and apply for the permit, you should spend a little more time and money to ensure you're CC'ing well.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

glockaholic wrote:
The only people I've noticed printing have clearly been carrying OWB. (Not to pick on OWB, because I carry concealed this way myself pretty often... it just requires the right shirt.)

I just think if you bothered to take the CC course and apply for the permit, you should spend a little more time and money to ensure you're CC'ing well.

I just realized something. Maybe he wasn't really trying to be invisibly concealed.As in, maybe he didn't care as much about CC as he did about being comfortable by having his T-shirt untucked.

LOL.

We could be having a whole bunch of discussion about degree of concealment, when he himself could have been thinking, "I don't care who takes notice. I'm wearing a T-shirt untucked because that's how I always wear myT-shirts." Meaning maybe he knows how to conceal well and just didn't care to try on this particular occasion.

HardChrome

imported post

BRobb19 wrote:
DreQo wrote:
Mexican carry?

AHAHAHAHAHA. Mexican Carry! Thats it!!

I've been WONDERING what the official term was for those jimbos that just jam their heater halfway into the front of their trousers..

Thank you Dre.
I sometime carry mine in a similar fashion but just behind the my cell phone. Does that make me a "jimbo"? Different people have different shapes and different requirements for carrying and concealment. I carry in a way that works for me and have been doing so for 26 years. Just be careful with the name calling please.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I have carried IWB sans holster before, but I was usinga belt clip on the firearm. In the position that it sits, my belt covers the trigger area, and the clip keeps the firearm secure. I don't see that as a problem.

On the other hand, tucking a handgun into your waistband and relying solely on the friction between your belt and firearm to keep it from falling down or out is generally considered impractical and unsafe. I tend to agree. We should all know by now what happens when you try to grab your handgun quickly before it slides down your pants...

HardChrome

imported post

DreQo wrote:
On the other hand, tucking a handgun into your waistband and relying solely on the friction between your belt and firearm to keep it from falling down or out is generally considered impractical and unsafe. I tend to agree. We should all know by now what happens when you try to grab your handgun quickly before it slides down your pants...
Again, to each his own and what works for one may not work for another. Just like we don't think the government knows enough about us to tell us how to lead our lives, the same hold true here. 26 years of carrying mine this way (in addition to using various holsters) tell me that it's safe...for me.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

HardChrome wrote:
DreQo wrote:
Again, to each his own and what works for one may not work for another. Just like we don't think the government knows enough about us to tell us how to lead our lives, the same hold true here. 26 years of carrying mine this way (in addition to using various holsters) tell me that it's safe...for me.
Oh, I certainly agree that we all make our own choices :D. So out of curiosity, what kind of handgun do you carry in that fashion, and at what position do you normally carry it at? The few times that I've temporarily slipped in a handgun in my waistband, it hasn't felt secure at all lol.

HardChrome

imported post

Both my Hi-Power and my SP-101 fit very snugly in this fashion. I always wear a thin belt and it anchors either weapon perfectly. The grip of the larger Browning rests just below my ribcage and never moves. I do not carry this way all the time. I have two other holsters that I use depending on what I'm wearing and what I'm doing.

wylde007

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Anyway, I always try to either completely conceal, or keep it open. Thank god we live in a state that doesn't make us criminals for printing through our t-shirts, though lol.
I like to OC, but enjoy the comfort of having a CC for situations that may dictate it or just in case my shirt tail covers my weapon and an officer decides to show his nertz.

If I accidentally CC, I'm protected.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BRobb19 wrote:
R a Z o R wrote:
The reason I googled open carry and found this forum is if someone spotted my weapon and screams he has a gun was to find out how to handle all situations .
That's the worst broken english that I have ever seen on this forum.  I actually have no idea what that sentence means.

DreQo wrote:
Yeah, 'cause that image had anything to do with this thread. :banghead:

Keep in mind guys, that post is par for the course for our esteemed member R a Z o R

G

imported post

I have a CPL from another state. I've read here that while OC is not prohibitted by law, but it is met with some very adverse LEO reactions. Since a pistol is considered concealed if clothing covers it, I figure that if my t-shirt is covering my 1911, my CPL will allow this concealed condition. Unlike Florida, NC doesn't have a law which specifically defines the requirement to be concealed. This way I don't have to worry about some self serving LEO trying to enforce his version of OC law on me since I'm CC. Even if not to the casual observer's liking. When in my home state I OC with impunity because we have an AG with balls. Unlike the AG here.

JDriver1.8t

imported post

never had a problem with LEO while OC. Most haven't.

I still have a small worry about printing when I CC, yet don't care at all when I OC. I'm mildly ammused by this.

edit: I still OC 95% of the time.

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

Honestly I don't believe I have CC'ed even ONE time since the weather changed back to warm. Pretty much ever since it became "non-jacket weather", my 9mm has been bulging off of my hip in plain view everywhere that I go.

I don't currently have any plans to carry concealed, except for the very rare and few occasions when I travel to a location that would just "make more sense" to conceal my business.

I cannot count the many number of cops (in Alamance County, Orange County, and Durham County) that have spotted me and "checked me out" while OC'ing and NEVER have I been questioned. Some of them even nod at me.

And as was said earlier, it's much more logical to OC than to sort of "half-conceal carry", as this makes it look like you have something illegal you need to hide.