Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: shoulder holster

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Burlington, ,
    Posts
    39

    Post imported post

    I'm looking for a shoulder holster to carry my GI 1911 in. It would mostly be worn while going on long bike rides (30-50 miles) since cycling gear/position doesn't fit well with waist band holsters. I am ok with OCing (and in fact prefer it while biking...not as much trash being thrown at the guy with a gun) but would also like a holster that could be used for CCing (I have found a few occasions where I would be better off without my gun on my hip) id also like to not break the bank. So is there anyone out there with shoulder holster experience that could hemp me out. I'm open to both a gun one side mags other holster or just a single side holster.

    any help I can get would be great
    (also, Im not a big guy, 5'9" 170lbs)

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    South end of the state, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    314

    Post imported post

    It depends on how you carry your 1911. Cocked and locked will require a vertical holster . All of the horizontal shoulder rigs I have seen require a strap to hold the gun in the holster and they are designed to cover the hammer. This means carrying with an empty chamber with the hammer down or with a loaded chamber with the hammer down.

    I use to carry a Ruger security six ( 4" bbl. ) and my combat commander ( cocked and locked )in a Bianchi X-15 rig. No not at the same time.

    Since I live in Illinois I used this holster while I was out in the fields and woods , hunting or any other time I was out walking in the woods , which was often.



  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greensboro, ,
    Posts
    235

    Post imported post

    I have not found condition1 carry (round in the chamber, hammer cocked, safety on) to bea problem in horizontal rigs for 1911s that are compact or officer sized.

    With a full-size 1911, the biggest issue is size - it simply doesn't fit well in a horizontal carry shoulder holster - it is too long to not print either front or back (or for me, both).

    I use a Galco Vertical rig when I am going to be spending a lot of time in my car, or in the winter when mutliple layers makes getting to my IWB a real hassle.

    I am still getting used to it, and I am not ecstactic about the leather straps Galco uses (too narrow for my tastes, I think), but it was in stock and I wasn't sure I wanted to mail-order one.

    Having said that, I do like the shoulder holster for carrying a full-size 1911, but I prefer carrying my 3" IWB

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    South end of the state, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    314

    Post imported post

    Look at the Bianchi ranger viper. Cheaper than the X-15 .$75 vs. $125 Good luck to you.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    469

    Post imported post

    RayBurton72 wrote:
    I have not found condition1 carry (round in the chamber, hammer cocked, safety on) to bea problem in horizontal rigs for 1911s that are compact or officer sized.

    With a full-size 1911, the biggest issue is size - it simply doesn't fit well in a horizontal carry shoulder holster - it is too long to not print either front or back (or for me, both).

    I use a Galco Vertical rig when I am going to be spending a lot of time in my car, or in the winter when mutliple layers makes getting to my IWB a real hassle.

    I am still getting used to it, and I am not ecstactic about the leather straps Galco uses (too narrow for my tastes, I think), but it was in stock and I wasn't sure I wanted to mail-order one.

    Having said that, I do like the shoulder holster for carrying a full-size 1911, but I prefer carrying my 3" IWB
    Ray, how does your vertical 1911 rig balance out? There is a double magazine pouch on the other side, right? Do you have to use a tie-down or something? I've been looking at getting the Galco vertical 1911 rig, and haven't heard any opinions on it.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    797

    Post imported post

    As already said, you will want a vertical rig if it's a full-size 1911.

    I have a Falco (not Galco) horizontal holster for my G19 and it's great (especially for the price). They make 1911 holsters but they are horizontal, and would need modifications to carry with one in the pipe.

    Falco holsters are nice though, because you can DO DO DO A BARREL ROLL!!

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greensboro, ,
    Posts
    235

    Post imported post

    The galco rig hasdouble mag pouch on the off-side, and there is an option for a tie down on the mag case, but not for the holster side (not that I would want one).

    I do not use a tie down on the mag side and I find it balances out. Fitting a new shoulder holster can be quite the hassle, especially without someone who knows what they are doing and even more so by yourself.

    It takes a bit of trial an error, and also requires a bit of practice drawings, especially since the draw requires a "broken wrist" grasp of the gun grip, and finger on the break snap and and upward (not outward) drawstroke.

    At first it seemed terribly awkward and slow, but after plenty of dry-fire practice I have gotten it down. Even so, it is no where near as fast as an IWB.

    Overall, I find the shoulder holster to be slower presentation, but very usefull when IWB just doesn't make sense and much more concealable than IWB.

  8. #8
    Regular Member thnycav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Windsor VA, ,
    Posts
    305

    Post imported post

    Why not get get an Army shoulder holster. I have worn one for years. They are comfortable and are designed to be used from aircraft pilots to tank crews. Your weapon wound be secure and the holster is very comfortable.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morgan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,580

    Post imported post

    jayspapa wrote:
    It depends on how you carry your 1911. Cocked and locked will require a vertical holster . All of the horizontal shoulder rigs I have seen require a strap to hold the gun in the holster and they are designed to cover the hammer. This means carrying with an empty chamber with the hammer down or with a loaded chamber with the hammer down.

    I use to carry a Ruger security six ( 4" bbl. ) and my combat commander ( cocked and locked )in a Bianchi X-15 rig. No not at the same time.

    Since I live in Illinois I used this holster while I was out in the fields and woods , hunting or any other time I was out walking in the woods , which was often.

    It depends on how you carry your 1911. Cocked and locked will require a vertical holster . All of the horizontal shoulder rigs I have seen require a strap to hold the gun in the holster and they are designed to cover the hammer. This means carrying with an empty chamber with the hammer down or with a loaded chamber with the hammer down.
    Who says that it REQUIRES a vertical holster? I carried my 1911 Kimber Pro TLE/RL II in a HORIZONTAL Goodrich&Gould shoulder holster. NO PROBLEMO. I even carried my (at the time ) S&W 4006 in the same holster ( of course NOT at the same time in the same holster). This was a VERY comfortable carry. Especially when I was on my MC. I always OCed with this rig. Loved it and miss it.



    TJ

  10. #10
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  11. #11
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    I carried my 1911 Kimber Pro TLE/RL II in a HORIZONTAL Goodrich&Gould shoulder holster. NO PROBLEMO. I even carried my (at the time ) S&W 4006 in the same holster ( of course NOT at the same time in the same holster). This was a VERY comfortable carry. Especially when I was on my MC. I always OCed with this rig. Loved it and miss it.
    TJ, you currently use the Blackhawk! shoulder harness with SERPA, correct?

    Is this not a comfortable as the Goodrich & Gould?
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    7

    Post imported post

    The hands down best shoulder holster out there is a Lou Alessi Bodyguard rig. Well made, quality leather work and features a pull through snap in the trigger guard so you dont have to worry about a thumbsnap or the grip safety. They are somewhat hard to get a hold of and regrettably Lou passed away a few months back. If you can find one though they are top quality and should be at the top of your list.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •