• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

shoulder holster

modificationvt

imported post

I'm looking for a shoulder holster to carry my GI 1911 in. It would mostly be worn while going on long bike rides (30-50 miles) since cycling gear/position doesn't fit well with waist band holsters. I am ok with OCing (and in fact prefer it while biking...not as much trash being thrown at the guy with a gun) but would also like a holster that could be used for CCing (I have found a few occasions where I would be better off without my gun on my hip) id also like to not break the bank. So is there anyone out there with shoulder holster experience that could hemp me out. I'm open to both a gun one side mags other holster or just a single side holster.

any help I can get would be great
(also, Im not a big guy, 5'9" 170lbs)
progress.gif

jayspapa

imported post

It depends on how you carry your 1911. Cocked and locked will require a vertical holster . All of the horizontal shoulder rigs I have seen require a strap to hold the gun in the holster and they are designed to cover the hammer. This means carrying with an empty chamber with the hammer down or with a loaded chamber with the hammer down.

I use to carry a Ruger security six ( 4" bbl. ) and my combat commander ( cocked and locked )in a Bianchi X-15 rig. No not at the same time.

Since I live in Illinois I used this holster while I was out in the fields and woods , hunting or any other time I was out walking in the woods , which was often.

RayBurton72

imported post

I have not found condition1 carry (round in the chamber, hammer cocked, safety on) to bea problem in horizontal rigs for 1911s that are compact or officer sized.

With a full-size 1911, the biggest issue is size - it simply doesn't fit well in a horizontal carry shoulder holster - it is too long to not print either front or back (or for me, both).

I use a Galco Vertical rig when I am going to be spending a lot of time in my car, or in the winter when mutliple layers makes getting to my IWB a real hassle.

I am still getting used to it, and I am not ecstactic about the leather straps Galco uses (too narrow for my tastes, I think), but it was in stock and I wasn't sure I wanted to mail-order one.

Having said that, I do like the shoulder holster for carrying a full-size 1911, but I prefer carrying my 3" IWB

mercutio545

imported post

RayBurton72 wrote:
I have not found condition1 carry (round in the chamber, hammer cocked, safety on) to bea problem in horizontal rigs for 1911s that are compact or officer sized.

With a full-size 1911, the biggest issue is size - it simply doesn't fit well in a horizontal carry shoulder holster - it is too long to not print either front or back (or for me, both).

I use a Galco Vertical rig when I am going to be spending a lot of time in my car, or in the winter when mutliple layers makes getting to my IWB a real hassle.

I am still getting used to it, and I am not ecstactic about the leather straps Galco uses (too narrow for my tastes, I think), but it was in stock and I wasn't sure I wanted to mail-order one.

Having said that, I do like the shoulder holster for carrying a full-size 1911, but I prefer carrying my 3" IWB
Ray, how does your vertical 1911 rig balance out? There is a double magazine pouch on the other side, right? Do you have to use a tie-down or something? I've been looking at getting the Galco vertical 1911 rig, and haven't heard any opinions on it.

kurtmax_0

imported post

As already said, you will want a vertical rig if it's a full-size 1911.

I have a Falco (not Galco) horizontal holster for my G19 and it's great (especially for the price). They make 1911 holsters but they are horizontal, and would need modifications to carry with one in the pipe.

Falco holsters are nice though, because you can DO DO DO A BARREL ROLL!!

RayBurton72

imported post

The galco rig hasdouble mag pouch on the off-side, and there is an option for a tie down on the mag case, but not for the holster side (not that I would want one).

I do not use a tie down on the mag side and I find it balances out. Fitting a new shoulder holster can be quite the hassle, especially without someone who knows what they are doing and even more so by yourself.

It takes a bit of trial an error, and also requires a bit of practice drawings, especially since the draw requires a "broken wrist" grasp of the gun grip, and finger on the break snap and and upward (not outward) drawstroke.

At first it seemed terribly awkward and slow, but after plenty of dry-fire practice I have gotten it down. Even so, it is no where near as fast as an IWB.

Overall, I find the shoulder holster to be slower presentation, but very usefull when IWB just doesn't make sense and much more concealable than IWB.

thnycav

imported post

Why not get get an Army shoulder holster. I have worn one for years. They are comfortable and are designed to be used from aircraft pilots to tank crews. Your weapon wound be secure and the holster is very comfortable.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

jayspapa wrote:
It depends on how you carry your 1911. Cocked and locked will require a vertical holster . All of the horizontal shoulder rigs I have seen require a strap to hold the gun in the holster and they are designed to cover the hammer. This means carrying with an empty chamber with the hammer down or with a loaded chamber with the hammer down.

I use to carry a Ruger security six ( 4" bbl. ) and my combat commander ( cocked and locked )in a Bianchi X-15 rig. No not at the same time.

Since I live in Illinois I used this holster while I was out in the fields and woods , hunting or any other time I was out walking in the woods , which was often.

Who says that it REQUIRES a vertical holster? I carried my 1911 Kimber Pro TLE/RL II in a HORIZONTAL Goodrich&Gould shoulder holster. NO PROBLEMO. I even carried my (at the time ) S&W 4006 in the same holster ( of course NOT at the same time in the same holster:lol:). This was a VERY comfortable carry. Especially when I was on my MC. I always OCed with this rig. Loved it and miss it:cry:.

TJ

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
I carried my 1911 Kimber Pro TLE/RL II in a HORIZONTAL Goodrich&Gould shoulder holster. NO PROBLEMO. I even carried my (at the time ) S&W 4006 in the same holster ( of course NOT at the same time in the same holster:lol:). This was a VERY comfortable carry. Especially when I was on my MC. I always OCed with this rig. Loved it and miss it:cry:.

TJ, you currently use the Blackhawk! shoulder harness with SERPA, correct?

Is this not a comfortable as the Goodrich & Gould?

daehawc

imported post

The hands down best shoulder holster out there is a Lou Alessi Bodyguard rig. Well made, quality leather work and features a pull through snap in the trigger guard so you dont have to worry about a thumbsnap or the grip safety. They are somewhat hard to get a hold of and regrettably Lou passed away a few months back. If you can find one though they are top quality and should be at the top of your list.