• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

King 5 news runs our event again

DEROS72

imported post

I was watching the morning news this sunday morning and king 5 is running our event all morning in the news.Only this morning they edidted out the cease fire crap.I can't find that version of the story on theier website however.Nor can I find the KIRO story on their site.

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_032809WAB-guns-apartments-KS.7e6c358d.html?rss?npc

SeaTac apartment residents meet to discuss gun laws

[size=-1]
04:51 PM PDT on Saturday, March 28, 2009
[/size]

[size=-1]By CHRIS DANIELS / KING 5 News[/size]

SEATAC, Wash. - Some SeaTac apartment residents have a hard time forgetting the shooting which injured two people last month.

"It was a little unnerving," says James Beal, "I heard six shots."

Beal was home when a 17-year-old opened fire on a group of people. He's now trying to rally his neighbors together, while making a pitch about how he protects himself.

"I carry a weapon for personal protection as most people here do, and we feel it our option under the Second Amendment,” he said.

Beal helped sponsor a gathering Saturday at the Willow Lake Apartments, which he says was designed as a way to bring people together, to organize neighborhood "block watches” and talk about gun laws.

"I'm not advising it,” Beal said. “I'm just making sure people are aware they have the option.”

Roughly 40 people were there about mid-day, and a vast majority of them were carrying weapons.

Kristen Comer, of Operation Ceasefire, approves of Beal's effort to bring together the community to discuss the issues. But she says neighbors should ask themselves how comfortable they'd be with several apartment dwellers carrying guns.

"For the vast majority of residents in this area, is that what they want?” she said. “Do they want their neighbors walking around with the sidearms on their persons at all times?"

She believes organizers should be more focused on curbing access to guns on the secondary market.

King County Sheriff's Department Sergeant John Urquhart says anyone buying a gun should think long and hard about it.

"It's legal under state and federal law," Urquhart said. "But if you use your gun to scare or intimidate, that's violating another law, so be very careful."

Here is Video Link

http://www.king5.com/video/news-index.html?nvid=346642

Phssthpok

imported post

Am I the only one who sees the irony of the "Brinks break-in" ad immediately prior to the story?:lol:

aktion

imported post

I've seen that ad several times on internet news clips. Very funny it preceded this story, maybe some other folks will see the absurdity of it.

Due to prior commitments, I couldn't attend Deros. I must congratulate you on what sounds and appears to have been quite a success. Also to those who helped out and the businesses that contributed as well. I sure hope some of the troublemakers in your area watch the news.

How about asking management to post signs at the entrances to the complex with something to the effect of

'These premises watched and protected by Resident Armed Citizens'

DEROS72

imported post

I already heard one of the neighbors on the phone talking to someone about it.Thanks for the support .Great effort by everyone.Manu was awesome .

KIRO also ran the story ,they were there as well.They ran it after basketball.But they haven,t put the video up on their site.How can we get them to post that?

DEROS72

imported post

Well I think we had the desired effect.I had a couple of residents and the maintinance guy tell me we did a great job.One fellow that had told me about excessive traffic in his building has slowed to nothing and a couple of the questionable types constantly looking out the window.Then they saw me talking with a Seatac PD officer while I had my side arm and he was giving me a way to go.He said you wouldn,t believe the criminal activity around here.He was just patroling through.Some of the neighbors also saw that he said NOTHING about my weapon.Now we need some follow up.Maybe I could talk a couple of you into just a neighborhood patrol one day or night.

compmanio365

imported post

Forgot to mention, as the wife and I were leaving, we noticed some "interesting" characters keep circling the building, kept looking in the windows like they couldn't believe what they were seeing. I think the message has gotten out that at least some people in the area are packing and ready to fight back.

Nitrox314

imported post

Hey guys,

Just as a question, do we have any LEO's actually participating on these boards? It would be good to get more LEO's involved in the forums too.

BTW, Nice job on the meet! I wish we could get something like that going down here in NM. As you may already know Albuquerque has a nice crime rate and the gangs will shoot you for looking at them. I hate feeling so paranoid driving to work, and I can't carry on the trip because I work on base. Trying to work something out with the armory, but I don't really feel comfortable leaving it with them (I have heard that some base armory's like to take the personal firearms out to shoot). Anyways, it would be awesome to show the gangs here that people are armed and willing to take a stand against the rising crime.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Forgot to mention, as the wife and I were leaving, we noticed some "interesting" characters keep circling the building, kept looking in the windows like they couldn't believe what they were seeing. I think the message has gotten out that at least some people in the area are packing and ready to fight back.

A few of those folks made their way to the gym , I think they were trying to figure a out a way to work out without having to walk through a room full of armed citizens.

I also liked the fact that several kids from the complex attended felt totally comfortable around a bunch of armed folks, and good job involving them in the drawing Deros. When they hear anti gun propaganda, they might think twice before buying into the rhetoric.

DEROS72

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Thats very true I got from one of the neighbors there are some nervous gang members around the area now.I wish I could find the KIRO interview were they put in when I said we're watching.One of the kids that was theresaid he was told to go find out how many people were carrying. He went back and reported. ALL OF THEM!

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
One of the kids that was theresaid he was told to go find out how many people were carrying. He went back and reported. ALL OF THEM!

One of the kids asked me, "Are you guys police or sheriffs?" I said "Neither, we are just regular people."(didn't know if he would understand "citizen")

Sorry I couldn't talk to more of you, but I had to keep an eye on my son so he didn't kill himself on the excersice equipment. About half way through he said "It's a good thing no bad guys have shown up." :D