• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas legislators run for the hills from open carry grass roots activists

jarodm20

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

GWbiker wrote:
"It's crazy" added Rep. David Swinford, R-Dumas, another legislator with a concealed gun license. "How would you feel if you walked into a 7-Eleven at midnight and you saw a guy carrying a gun?"

Damn...David. You better stay out of New Mexico and Arizona where you just might walk into a convenience store late at night, see a guy carrying a holstered gun and $hit yourself.:what:
That's something that pisses me off about these politicians. They say things like that to have us think it's so weird for people to be able to open carry, when in reality people do it everyday in other states in this country. The public just needs more infomation. They need to know the truth, that open carry is legal throughout the country, aside from a few states gone astray, Texas included. We have to be informative, because the opposition (i.e. Rep David Swinford), is purposefully misinformative.

orthzar

imported post

None of this opposition should be all too unexpected. Afterall, a century of bureaucracy always produces opposition to citizen possession of arms, especially in plain view.

I do understand why the legislators prefer working on the economy. The economy is not nearly as contraversial as OC. However, nothing can justify the continued illegality of OC, no matter the economic or social situation.

My 2 cents, as usual.

Statesman

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Sen. Kel Seliger, R-Amarillo wrote:
I see no point on open-carry," ... "I think it is publicly intimidating, (and) it has nothing to do with right to keep and bear arms. It has to do with common sense."
WOW. :shock: Has this senator never heard of DC v. Heller? :banghead:
Someone needs to explain the concept of a license (state permission in this case) versus a right to these legislators. I expect this in New Jersey, Cali, or New York, but it is scary to see such ignorance on such an important subject in a wonderful state such as Texas.

License/Permit = (stinking) permission from the King (the State)
Right = Granted by God, affirmed and protected by the state, as it should be

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I was just as shocked at the true nature of Texas politics and politicians. When I started working on this, I got alot of lip service from my state rep and senator, but when it came down to actually doing the deed.......runaround.