• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Gun: Failures during break in...

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ok, first trip to the range withmy new WaltherPPS .40 cal. The only failures I experienced were when the slide failed to completely return to battery while chambering the last round of the magazine. This happened maybe 4 or 5 times out of 200 rounds, and only with 165 gr bullets (as apposed to the 180 gr). Bumping the slide the rest of the way forward corrected the failure everytime. It also seemed that limp wristing had more potential to cause the failure, but not every time.

I went throughan initial clean and lube, however I didn't have any sort of gun "grease" as was suggested by other PPS owners, so I just used rem-oil in the appropriate areas.

Any ideas on what would be causing this failure, how to correct it, and whether I need to send her in for warranty work or not?

MetalChris

imported post

Reading the topic title, I thought you meant it failed when you were confronting someone who had broken into your house! :shock:

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

MetalChris wrote:
Reading the topic title, I thought you meant it failed when you were confronting someone who had broken into your house! :shock:
Aww jeez, I didn't even think of that! My bad! Unfortunately I can't change the thread title. If a mod wants to change it to "New Gun: Failures during first 200 rds".

buster81

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Ok, first trip to the range withmy new WaltherPPS .40 cal. The only failures I experienced were when the slide failed to completely return to battery while chambering the last round of the magazine. This happened maybe 4 or 5 times out of 200 rounds, and only with 165 gr bullets (as apposed to the 180 gr). Bumping the slide the rest of the way forward corrected the failure everytime. It also seemed that limp wristing had more potential to cause the failure, but not every time.

I went throughan initial clean and lube, however I didn't have any sort of gun "grease" as was suggested by other PPS owners, so I just used rem-oil in the appropriate areas.

Any ideas on what would be causing this failure, how to correct it, and whether I need to send her in for warranty work or not?
Check this forum out. You need to follow DMARS suggestions in the OP, and then cycle the slide a couple of hundred times. Clean, lube and you are ready to go.

http://ppstalk.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=799

I used these suggestions when I first got mine, and then watched a football game and just worked the slide back and forth. I put several hundred rounds through it before my next cleaning and did have any failures.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

buster81 wrote:
DreQo wrote:

Check this forum out. You need to follow DMARS suggestions in the OP, and then cycle the slide a couple of hundred times. Clean, lube and you are ready to go.

http://ppstalk.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=799

I used these suggestions when I first got mine, and then watched a football game and just worked the slide back and forth. I put several hundred rounds through it before my next cleaning and did have any failures.
Yyyeah, I did that, but like I said, I had oil, not grease to use. Do you think the problems I described are similar to what DMARS was talking about?

buster81

imported post

It sounds like the disconnector. I use gun butter and have never had an issue. Try that, and maybe join the other forum and PM DMARS. He is pretty knowledgable.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

buster81 wrote:
It sounds like the disconnector. I use gun butter and have never had an issue. Try that, and maybe join the other forum and PM DMARS. He is pretty knowledgable.

Already on the forum, but I haven't posted enough to send private messages. Dumb thing.

So gun butter, huh? I'll look it up and read about it.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

K, I looked up gun butter. Did you use the oil, or the trigger and locking lug grease for the disconnector?